ipad xbox ms office huge quarterly loss

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#16 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

• 299 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:52

Ah, if only Microsoft was doing something to revert this trend. You know, create an usable OS for tablets, an OS for smartphones, making their services available in other platforms (like Office), constantly doing something to attract developers, unifying their multiple services, etc.

IF ONLY!

Point 9 is particularly bad and you should feel bad, move this thread to the Jokes section.

The only relevance in this is that people try to degrade Microsoft's image and product line in benefit of the competition, Apple.

Seriously, some writers are becoming so clearly biased towards Apple like Fox News is to Republicans.

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,850 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:56

I think you're right. I don't expect most companies to switch to Linux in the workplace, but I was pleasantly surprised after my own transition at work.
However, I do think that tablets will continue to perform more and more roles that used to be designated to a workstation or laptop, and will become the primary computing device for many people who used to rely more on workstation and laptops.

and more specifically i expect to see convertible tablets a lot more in the workplace

#18 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:57

It's too early to be sure about all that catastrophe. But... It seems very likely.
People HATE dual color UI. I've been comparing it to Windows 1.0 for a long time. Yes... the reason is as simple as that. It's the UI, stupid. :p

#19 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,238 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:05

LOL @ number 9.. Xbox is one of the only good things Microsoft has going for it right now.

If you read the full story, it says just that:

In a year of relative gloom, Microsoft's Xbox has become a big bright spot for the company.

Point 9 is particularly bad and you should feel bad, move this thread to the Jokes section.

Reading is fundamental. ;)

#20 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,954 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:10

It's too early to be sure about all that catastrophe. But... It seems very likely.
People HATE dual color UI. I've been comparing it to Windows 1.0 for a long time. Yes... the reason is as simple as that. It's the UI, stupid. :p

Luis, people like us hate dual color UIs. Soccer Moms don't give a crap as long as they can make their babies their wallpaper :D.

#21 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:11

Luis, people like us hate dual color UIs. Soccer Moms don't give a crap as long as they can make their babies their wallpaper :D.

I agree... But who tells Soccer Moms to buy this, or that? :)

#22 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,507 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:13

A month and a half after Windows 8 is on the market, and people are clobbering each other to call it a failure. Wow.

#23 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,319 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:14

Mobile devices will never kill the PC but they change the shape of the average household. In the olden days there may have been two Laptops and a Desktop PC, but not there is one ageing shared laptop and every member of the house has their own phone and / or tablet.

#24 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,402 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:15

I think you're right. I don't expect most companies to switch to Linux in the workplace, but I was pleasantly surprised after my own transition at work.
However, I do think that tablets will continue to perform more and more roles that used to be designated to a workstation or laptop, and will become the primary computing device for many people who used to rely more on workstation and laptops.

As everything goes to the web, such as office, there's becoming less and less reasons why business users would need windows. Linux is free, stick it on and web apps still work fine (if you pay for google apps/office 365 that is).

#25 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,954 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:16

I agree... But who tells Soccer Moms to buy this, or that? :)

Their husbands, the dork's at Best Buy, etc., TV, Oprah, their kids ... sometimes the geek friend.

#26 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,839 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:17

Actually, this wasn't really about Win8 there Derp. You did read the article right? The funny thing is that its wrong for largely the same reasons you are. You and the author are LCD peas in a pod. You both see doom for MS if they don't beat the iPad.

Cute story there mcdear, though I doubt most with the title of Director have such flexibility in their environments.

#27 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:18

Their husbands, the dork's at Best Buy, etc., TV, Oprah, their kids ... sometimes the geek friend.

...so, Microsoft is fine! :p

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:23

A month and a half after Windows 8 is on the market, and people are clobbering each other to call it a failure. Wow.

It is virtually impossible for Windows 8 OS to be a failure. the MS Tablet and Windows Phone programs may be, with consumers. Time will tell.

I personally want both to succeed. I actually hate Google, Android, & Linux. But what I've seen so far, is worrisome. I really don't think there's enough Vision and leadership at MS to pull it off. The fact that I have Surface, Lumia 920, and Windows 8 Desktop and they all barely interoperate, tells me they ain't near ready. Fortunately for them the competition is small and hasn't done much in the Tablet space. Phones, that will be tougher.

I wouldn't start placing bets till after Christmas.

...so, Microsoft is fine! :p

Pretty much. They can only shoot themselves in the foot, and there's a 50/50 chance they will do just that with consumers. In the tablet and phone space Apple has set a standard of "it all just works" from a consumer standpoint.

#29 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,469 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:47

Haha is this a parody of the Mayan prophecies or something. Should I do one up for Apple post Kutcher, I mean Steve?

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:51

I completely agree with you on that. Mobile is where it's at. Microsoft can't afford to lose that market.