• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,676 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 5235

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:50

Hey guys. I have been playing with PS for a few days, trying to do color corrections and stuff. I am just a beginner and here is something I did.

Posted Image

to

Posted Image

Showed it to my mother and she said, the first one is better and I have just made it worse by blur and darkening, while that was the look I was going for. Blur was to create DOF as the camera was just a point and shoot. But I thought having to explain the work is a failure, I should be saying my thoughts by work. So, would like your thoughts if I am on the right track. Feel free to criticize as I wanna learn.

#2 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,676 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:18

Maybe use the freehand selection tool to go around areas and have it so the background is blurred, and have the person and tree not blurred, something like that.
I used to be very big into graphics design at one time, but been a long time now. Mostly application graphics, web design, skins, visual styles, etc. etc. but some photo work.

#3 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,676 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:34

Did it for the person but yes, now I think the big tree to the left should not have been blurred. Thanks! :)

#4 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:39

You really crushed the blacks and actually removed depth.

I like the look, but this is not a touchup.

#5 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,676 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:46

You really crushed the blacks and actually removed depth.

I like the look, but this is not a touchup.

What do you mean by crushed the blacks?

I wanted to create a shallow DOF.

Okay, I don't exactly know the terms. :D So, what will be this called, giving a different look to photo? Is there a term?

BTW, thanks for your response. :)

#6 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:47

I actually like both, but for me the first one is excellent. Nice attempt at getting the shallow depth of field but I would say that too much detail is missing, not that I could do any better, just my thoughts on what I see.

#7 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:30

A lot of people don't appreciate surreal stuff or graphics MEANT to be different.... they don't have enough imagination to appreciate stuff...

I love the 2nd pic and it has a very calming and a healing presence in it. You can sense the depth in the person as well..

another reason I left the graphics market. I got fed up with some really cold barren people.

if people want me to make it pop... but then complain about it... they don't deserve to have an amazing picture. that's the way I see it.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,945 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:34

Use gradients and freehand drawing to create a depth map and then use the actual camera DOF filter in PS.

#9 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:00

What do you mean by crushed the blacks?

I wanted to create a shallow DOF.

Okay, I don't exactly know the terms. :D So, what will be this called, giving a different look to photo? Is there a term?

BTW, thanks for your response. :)

Sorry. I just hopped on my other machine that actually has a properly calibrated monitor and it looks a lot better over here.

The term crushing refers to when you adjust the black levels to a point where you lose fine detail in the darker sections.

There is still crushing but to a far lower degree than I thought on my other screen.

It looks pretty good, but one thing is that now the fog isn't as apparent in the second image, and while I prefer the color levels and saturation in the second image (nice job there) I miss the element that the fog brought to the first pic.

#10 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,628 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:23

I really like the second photo aswell, its different, if your happy with your outcome thats all that matters

#11 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• 1,714 posts
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27

I can't even do what you did in second picture but I really liked second picture... Amazing and please looking to eyes, more like showing calmness of world and peace.... hope you don't mind my comment..

#12 ~Neowin~

~Neowin~

folklore.org

• 819 posts
  • Phone: Lost my Lumia 800 :(

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:38

I don't a bit about photography or PS. But I like the 2nd picture. :0

#13 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• 1,800 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:30

I really like the second photo aswell, its different, if your happy with your outcome thats all that matters

+1

#14 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,676 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:39

I actually like both, but for me the first one is excellent. Nice attempt at getting the shallow depth of field but I would say that too much detail is missing, not that I could do any better, just my thoughts on what I see.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Actually that was what I was going for, ther first one seemed to give too much to focus on other than subject. But thanks for your thoughts.

A lot of people don't appreciate surreal stuff or graphics MEANT to be different.... they don't have enough imagination to appreciate stuff...

I love the 2nd pic and it has a very calming and a healing presence in it. You can sense the depth in the person as well..

another reason I left the graphics market. I got fed up with some really cold barren people.

if people want me to make it pop... but then complain about it... they don't deserve to have an amazing picture. that's the way I see it.

Thanks for your appreciation. Yeah, that's what I wanted to say, I was going for a different look.

Use gradients and freehand drawing to create a depth map and then use the actual camera DOF filter in PS.

Thanks, i will try that.

Sorry. I just hopped on my other machine that actually has a properly calibrated monitor and it looks a lot better over here.

The term crushing refers to when you adjust the black levels to a point where you lose fine detail in the darker sections.

There is still crushing but to a far lower degree than I thought on my other screen.

It looks pretty good, but one thing is that now the fog isn't as apparent in the second image, and while I prefer the color levels and saturation in the second image (nice job there) I miss the element that the fog brought to the first pic.

Okay, I should have increased the shadow details. And yeah, the blur makes the fog less apparent. Thanks for appreciation, I will keep these things in mind for future.

Yeah, I am happy. :) Thanks for appreciation.

I don't a bit about photography or PS. But I like the 2nd picture. :0

Thanks, Neowin! :D

#15 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:45

You're welcome :) I wouldn't change that much about the 2nd pic....