Question

Posted

And I often can't get it back... have to pull battery....

17 answers to this question

Posted

Manufacturer, Model, Android version?

The screen is supposed to go black when you are on the phone as so your face does not push buttons. as far as it not coming back on try hitting the power/home buttons a few times before doing a battery pull.

Posted

OOps....
Galaxy s3 ics

Posted

[quote name='littleneutrino' timestamp='1354896161' post='595375054']

The screen is supposed to go black when you are on the phone as so your face does not push buttons. as far as it not coming back on try hitting the power/home buttons a few times before doing a battery pull.
[/quote]

I poke damn near every button repeatedly...nothing works...

Posted

[quote name='Rickkins' timestamp='1354900549' post='595375324']
I poke damn near every button repeatedly...nothing works...
[/quote]

Just as a test, try making a call. When it goes black, put it to your ear and take it back away. Does this wake it up? Does it wake back up after someone hangs up? Or does it just turn off and there's no coming back without a reboot?

Posted

[quote name='AJerman' timestamp='1354904885' post='595375490']
Just as a test, try making a call. When it goes black, put it to your ear and take it back away. Does this wake it up? Does it wake back up after someone hangs up? Or does it just turn off and there's no coming back without a reboot?
[/quote]

Did not think about that, if they are not triggering the proximity sensor it might be getting confused.

I have a GS3 (Verizon) and i have never experienced this issue.

Posted

As mentioned the black screen is a feature (not a bug). It is used for a couple reasons

1) So you don't hit a button on the screen by accident.
2) Making a phonecall is one of the most taxing things on battery, so the screen being off prevents un-needed drain.

When the screen goes black can you still talk on the phone? Have you tried putting the phone up to your ear and then taking it away while it's black? If you attempt to call the phone (or text it) does it respond?

Posted

Doesn't always do it, but when it does, nothing seems to bring it back.

Posted

[quote name='firey' timestamp='1354905524' post='595375532']1) So you don't hit a button on the screen by accident.[/quote]

It must make calling any place with an IVR a nightmare... "Press 1 to speak to Sales" :(

Posted

the second you remove the phone from your ear , the screen turns on again , even "mid call"

having the speaker function turned on will cancel the feature

Posted

[quote name='Poof' timestamp='1354907258' post='595375642']

It must make calling any place with an IVR a nightmare... "Press 1 to speak to Sales" :(
[/quote]

As mentioned above the screen turns back on as soon as you remove the phone from your ear.

Posted

Check to make sure your screen protector is not blocking the proximity sensor. Happens to a lot of people at my job.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Davo' timestamp='1354922688' post='595376200']
Check to make sure your screen protector is not blocking the proximity sensor. Happens to a lot of people at my job.
[/quote]

I was just gonna post that. Screen protectors over the proximity sensor is what causes this issue 90% of the time.

Posted

My phone is in a case, no screen protector.

Similar to this one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEATHER-FLIP-CASE-COVER-SCREEN-GUARD-STYLUS-PEN-FOR-SAMSUNG-I9300-GALAXY-S3-/150961188616?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2325fcef08

Posted

[quote name='Rickkins' timestamp='1355012828' post='595378150']
My phone is in a case, no screen protector.

Similar to this one [url="http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEATHER-FLIP-CASE-COVER-SCREEN-GUARD-STYLUS-PEN-FOR-SAMSUNG-I9300-GALAXY-S3-/150961188616?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2325fcef08"]http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item2325fcef08[/url]
[/quote]
Stupid question, but have you tried without a case? I've seen many cases when the latch of the case would trip the proximity sensor (on an iPhone at-least). It's worth a shot.

Posted

Yanno, it may well be the stupid flap that closes the case. I will keep an eye on that over the next while, and see how it goes.
Thanks guys...!!!

Posted

So yea, it was indeed the stupid flap. Doy.....

Posted

Its always the one thing you don't think about :D