windows 8

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

• 1,014 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:11

Its already in development. Windows Blue should be out in 2013. For a tech journalist he seems out of the loop.

#17 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,828 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:12

Dvorak. I stopped there.

This.

#18 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:12

Author seems to be a Mac fan or something. I mean come on, complaining about maximized applications?
The only OS where I don't get how to maximize anything is Mac. In Windows it is a god send - the ability to FOCUS on something.

#19 Niekess

Niekess

Windows Platform Developer

• 227 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 930

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:16

Latest Windows builds are rumored to be 957x.
It's called Windows Blue and will be a fix + feature pack.

#20 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

• 890 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:24

well it's dvorak, saying he's an imbecile is kind of an oxymoron

Did you mean redundant?

#21 SfIsHeR1701

SfIsHeR1701

Neowinian

• 107 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:25

Xp, vista, and 7 have all had revisions, they are call windows updates and service packs. Back in the windows 3 days, the internet being in its infancy, most people had dial-up whichmade these kinds of updates imposssible so they released 3.1, 3.11, and the chinese got 3.2

#22 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,019 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:29

Author seems to be a Mac fan or something. I mean come on, complaining about maximized applications?
The only OS where I don't get how to maximize anything is Mac. In Windows it is a god send - the ability to FOCUS on something.

Let me introduce you to the OS X fullscreen option. Introduced a year and a half ago and heavily critized by Windows users claiming that desktop guis should not be like tablet guis.

sdfgsd.png

#23 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,768 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:31

The 40 or 50 people who buy touch screens for their desktop

And lo, Dvorak's disconnect from reality is established.

3.11 came before 3.2?? :s

Two things: (1) Yes, once upon a time, point releases followed the same math we learned in elementary school, where 3.2 is a larger number than 3.11. The concept of going from 3.9 to 3.10 comes from a culture of too many damn point releases between major versions. (2) Windows 3.2 was the Chinese release, and China *only*, which makes me wonder why Dvorak even bothered mentioning it.

#24 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,496 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:32

I've already written about this problem, but to summarize, people do not go out and buy a 27-inch monitor (or two of them) to run any application full screen.

Thank you. I've been saying that starting day one.

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:32

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

#26 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:34

^ Not a digital.

#27 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:36

Let me introduce you to the OS X fullscreen option. Introduced a year and a half ago and heavily critized by Windows users claiming that desktop guis should not be like tablet guis.

sdfgsd.png

Wait what!?
I don't remember seeing that button on my macbook, and I've always used the green button... Am I missing something :s?

#28 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,496 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:37

Wait what!?
I don't remember seeing that button on my macbook, and I've always used the green button... Am I missing something :s?

Obviously you're not going to see that button in FreeDOS.

#29 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,828 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:37

Thank you. I've been saying that starting day one.

Consumers don't buy 27 inch monitors to begin with.

#30 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,768 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:38

sdfgsd.png

In the interest of fairness:

1) Yup. Mac OS has offered full screen mode for a little while now. Complaining that it doesn't exist is a little behind the times, but...

2) Mac OS's full screen mode has some shortcomings. In what seems like nothing more than a raging desire to be as unlike every other OS as possible, OS X full screen mode is roughly the same as running a game full screen (all elements of the desktop completely disappear). For people who just want to quickly and easily set an application to take up the maximum available space while allowing access to common OS visual elements, Mac OS didn't exactly deliver, and it really is on par with "tablet mode" as a result.

Also, I *believe* the Mac OS full screen mode must have support coded into each and every application. That is, no applications predating the feature would allow it. It's an application "mode", not simply a view. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aside: I do realize that it's very difficult to make a maximize equivalent in Mac OS. A window can't really "maximize" in any meaningful way, leaving all common OS visual elements available, due to Mac OS using both a universal menu bar and the massive-by-default dock. Unifying the two to increase available desktop area would likely never happen for branding reasons, and possibly also because of the no-copy agreement between Apple and Microsoft (a unified menu/appbar is Windows turf, after all).