15 posts in this topic

Posted

[img]http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Screen-Shot-2012-12-11-at-14.35.32.jpg[/img]

[b]Source:[/b] [url="http://www.cultofmac.com/205463/microsoft-could-pull-skydrive-app-for-ios-over-as-it-fights-with-apple-over-30-cut/"]http://www.cultofmac.com/205463/microsoft-could-pull-skydrive-app-for-ios-over-as-it-fights-with-apple-over-30-cut/[/url]

[b][i]...And Apple continues to make enemies. Read on.[/i][/b]

[color=#000000]The future of Microsoft

Posted (edited)

Why does Apple keep doing things that make me want to avoid their products? Edited by ArialBlue

Posted

Just use the mobile Skydrive website. Boom. Done.

Posted

I said this in the article on the front page, why doesn't Microsoft just put the cost of the IAPs up by 30% for iOS users?

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1355255650' post='595384454']
[/quote]

Can you upload as many file types from the iPhone to the browser?

[quote name='neo158' timestamp='1355255920' post='595384476']
I said this in the article on the front page, why doesn't Microsoft just put the cost of the IAPs up by 30% for iOS users?
[/quote]

In the Apple agreement, you have to offer the same price in the app.

Posted

Terrible move by Apple when they should be working closer with MS to stomp out Android. lul wut Dot? Either you haven't used Safari mobile lately or you've suddenly done a 180 in regards to 'app culture'. Unless you are on WP7, you do need an app for that.

Also the same reasons Steam and MS are at ends, so I hope MS remembers how it feels. Ah well, at least Europe is smart enough to drop some anti-competitive legislation on these stores eventually.

Posted

[quote name='Dashel' timestamp='1355256229' post='595384496']
Terrible move by Apple when they should be working closer with MS to stomp out Android. lul wut Dot? Either you haven't used Safari mobile lately or you've suddenly done a 180 in regards to 'app culture'. Unless you are on WP7, you do need an app for that.

Also the same reasons Steam and MS are at ends, so I hope MS remembers how it feels.
[/quote]

Apple doesn't want to destroy Android now that Steve is dead. He was the one who took Android as a personal insult.

Posted

[quote name='McKay' timestamp='1355256132' post='595384486']
In the Apple agreement, you have to offer the same price in the app.
[/quote]

Well then Microsoft could charge Mac users who upgrade via the website 30% more to recover the money Apple are extorting from them through the app store.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='neo158' timestamp='1355256375' post='595384506']
Well then Microsoft could charge Mac users who upgrade via the website 30% more to recover the money Apple are extorting from them through the app store.
[/quote]
Actually this is a good idea.

Posted

[/quote]

Will not work - how do I upload pictures? I don't believe that you can browse to a file using the standard HTTP uploads since they have Safari so locked down. You can browse to pictures, and maybe some well known file types such as PDF, but it will not work in all cases.

But why should I have to settle? We hear people here on Neowin whine about web sites that have apps, but this is just another case where the app is much better than the web site, not perfect, but better because of the OS integration. But Apple doesn't even want that to happen, and instead, once again, turn their platforms into mediocrity in the name of control.

Posted

[quote name='nohone' timestamp='1355256525' post='595384520']
Will not work - how do I upload pictures? I don't believe that you can browse to a file using the standard HTTP uploads since they have Safari so locked down. You can browse to pictures, and maybe some well known file types such as PDF, but it will not work in all cases.

But why should I have to settle? We hear people here on Neowin whine about web sites that have apps, but this is just another case where the app is much better than the web site, not perfect, but better because of the OS integration. But Apple doesn't even want that to happen, and instead, once again, turn their platforms into mediocrity in the name of control.
[/quote]

In iOS 6 you can upload photos in Safari.

Posted

[quote name='McKay' timestamp='1355256340' post='595384504']
Apple doesn't want to destroy Android now that Steve is dead. He was the one who took Android as a personal insult.
[/quote]

Sure, Steve took it personally. This is just good business. Problem is, Apple, after all these years, still thinks it can exist without MS (and their cloud).

Posted

[quote name='McKay' timestamp='1355256700' post='595384526']
In iOS 6 you can upload photos in Safari.
[/quote]

After the Surface was released I have been using my iPad less and less, so I have not run into this lately just my experiences on iOS 5. But still, it is not good enough. For example, today I bought a couple of computer ebooks. On my Surface, I went to the Oreilly web site, bought 3 ebooks, downloaded the PDFs, opened the SkyDrive app, and uploaded the PDFs. If I were using my iPad, I could buy on the web site, but then I would need to go to another computer, download the PDFs, and then upload to SkyDrive. Of course, on an x86 computer I would not even need to upload because of the SkyDrive sync app, I could have just downloaded and it would have been automatically synced with SkyDrive, but at least I can still do it on Surface. But I cannot on my iPad.

Posted

[quote name='nohone' timestamp='1355257267' post='595384548']
After the Surface was released I have been using my iPad less and less, so I have not run into this lately just my experiences on iOS 5. But still, it is not good enough. For example, today I bought a couple of computer ebooks. On my Surface, I went to the Oreilly web site, bought 3 ebooks, downloaded the PDFs, opened the SkyDrive app, and uploaded the PDFs. If I were using my iPad, I could buy on the web site, but then I would need to go to another computer, download the PDFs, and then upload to SkyDrive. Of course, on an x86 computer I would not even need to upload because of the SkyDrive sync app, I could have just downloaded and it would have been automatically synced with SkyDrive, but at least I can still do it on Surface. But I cannot on my iPad.
[/quote]

I recently went over to Android after years and years of iPhones. I love the freedom its offering compared to iPhone.

Posted

[/quote]

You are very limited in terms of upload file size when using the browser. The Skydrive app lets you upload files of larger size.