Illinois approves public conceal carry right under 2nd amendment

source http://janmorganmedia.com/2012/12/a-gun-rights-victory-in-illinois/

A Gun Rights Victory in Illinois!

Before today, Illinois was the only state in the nation not to have some form of conceal carry after Wisconsin recently approved law.

This week, an appeals court hands the National Rifle Association and gun owners in Illinois a major victory by ruling that the state?s ban on carrying a gun publicly is UNCONSTITUTIONAL !!!

I am teaching a ladies gun class in Chicago on January 19th followed by a meet and greet with Chicago area citizens who are gun lovers. The fact that those fine gun folks there have won a battle makes my trip there even that much more exciting to me. I was dreading making the trip to a state where my concealed carry was not recognized.

Now, as the result of a 2 to 1 decision by the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the state of Illinois would have to allow ordinary citizens to carry weapons. The judges also gave lawmakers 180 days to put their own version of the law in place.

?We are disinclined to engage in another round of historical analysis to determine whether eighteenth-century America understood the Second Amendment to include a right to bear guns outside the home. The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside,? the judges ruled.

?The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense. Illinois had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden.

?The Supreme Court?s interpretation of the Second Amendment compelled the appeals court to rule the ban unconstitutional, the judges said. But the court gave 180 days to ?allow the Illinois legislature to craft a new gun law that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public.?

?The (Illinois) legislature, in the new session, will be forced to take up a statewide carry law,? said NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde.

The lobbyist said prior attempts to reach a middle ground with opponents will no longer be necessary because ?those compromises are going out the window.?

Read more: http://janmorganmedia.com/2012/12/a-gun-rights-victory-in-illinois/#ixzz2EmlLG5GI

You know, as much as I disagree with the use of guns in general, the fact is, the baddies of the world already have them, so u might as well make it easier for the good people to get them so we can protect ourselves.

This week, an appeals court hands the National Rifle Association and gun owners in Illinois a major victory by ruling that the state?s ban on carrying a gun publicly is UNCONSTITUTIONAL !!!

And it is. A lot of folks might not agree but that is the way our laws are set up.

Also, I would think crime SHOULD possibly go down as now criminal elements have to wonder who they attack are packing. owning a firearm to protect our families is important.