9 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:38

How British is British Enough? Ask the Cultural Test

Posted Image
If a UK video game developer wants to qualify for tax relief, it will need to create a game that passes the country’s new cultural test.

The cultural test judges games on their level of… Britishness. Games that score at least 16 points pass the test and will earn the developers the tax relief.

Points are earned for a British setting, British characters, and recording the game’s dialogue in the English language or in a recognized regional or minority language. Games that manage to promote the development and enhancement of the country will score an additional four points.

Developing the majority of a game in the UK also pulls in a few points. The more British employees that are working on the creative team, the higher the score.
If you want to get into the nitty-gritty, the full breakdown of points can be found here.

Racking up the highest score seems like a game of its own for developers to play.

Develop Online: The UK video games cultural test

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:52

In this content I guess you can never have too much British.

#3 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,092 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:58

What an archaic system, good to know the UK just loves to fall further into obscurity as a premier games developer nation. GT5 is made by a Japanese company but features a significant amount of international content - with a very small amount of actual Japanese content. By this system, the game isn't "Japanese" at all and so wouldn't receive a tax break - despite the fact that it's Japanese made and developed and published by 2 different Japanese companies who offer a high-calibre Japanese export.

But oh no, there's an Aston Martin and a Ferrari in there, so who gives a ****?

#4 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,645 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:10

Bring back The Getaway

#5 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,015 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:17

Just when I think my country is about to do something that benefits it, it goes and pulls something retarded like a Britishness scale for computer games.

#6 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,134 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 15:49

By the title, I was thinking about how annoying are gamechap(s). Had to listen to them during the yogscast's stream last night and almost killed myself. They were too British for me.

#7 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,907 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 16 December 2012 - 15:53

To be British enough, you have to get genuinely excited by the prospect of a hot drink.

#8 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,567 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:12

To be British enough, you have to get genuinely excited by the prospect of a hot drink.

HAHA I didn't get that but it made me laugh.... Although it should have read "excited by the prospect of a decent pint"...

#9 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,035 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:13

As long as it doesn't entail the Union Jack being plastered all over game environments then it's fine by me. I'm fine with games simply having British locations and non-clichéd British characters. Britishness is not about shoving it in your face.

#10 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,851 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:17

I wonder how high Ultima would score on this scale. After all, it has Lord British.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!