Photo

Why are most people so ignorant about the nurse's suicide?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#31 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 00:33

Its hard to place blame from the story we've got, hasn't been much coverage across the pond.

To me, Its neither the fault of the radio station its managers, or the switchboard operator. The fault lies in whoever 'gave' them the number to call in the first place... Was it brought to light the number they called? Was it just the general number or a private line? The radio station shouldn't have done this live, if they even did... This should have been pre-recorded then aborted when they actually got through, explained who/what they are and maybe arrange to do a planned prank call to air... To boot it also wasn't a lot of information passed on of the duchess status either, nothing magazine-covering but the actual unravelling of it all.

#32 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

• 993 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:49

You know most likely she had a history of mental illness or was living without a proper diagnosis. This probably just triggered the inevitable.

#33 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,372 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:05

I hope they go to jail and the station closes down. If you want to do a prank then keep it in line.

They're not going to jail and I have no idea why people can even think that

#34 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,651 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:14

Want to know who I blame - the press.

This whole affair could have been swept under the rug, if the press didn't keep it as a massive front page headline for days. As much as I hate the Daily Mail, somebody posted a brilliant comment which sums up my views perfectly:

So the Australian radio station played a little prank. No bones broken and a few laughs had. That's until the press blew it out of all proportion and made it front page news for days. Who put this nurse under suicidal pressure? The Australian radio station or the British press? Now the press get a second bite of the cherry. A nice juicy death to keep on the front pages for a couple more days - and some good British righteous indignation to go with it. Pass the sick bag. The dishonesty and hypocracy of the press has no bottom to it. And if you buy the stinking newspapers then you're part of the problem.

#35 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• 1,445 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:29

They're not going to jail and I have no idea why people can even think that

Bullying that made someone suicidal. Everyone's stability is at question when tired, never mind the scope this has taken. This is for the DJs and the **** reporters who had nothing better to write about than make fool of a hard working woman that dedicates most of her life in taking care of others. And yes nurses do long shifts very late at night.Edit: for **** money as well

#36 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:42

I'll just step in at this juncture and direct you to winning-central.

Maddox nails it on the head as usual.

#37 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,788 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:01

I don't get how all suicides are "selfish"... Japanese had Honor suicides, is that selfish? they thought it was more honorable to kill yourself then to surrender... and maybe not everyone is doing it for attention, what about people who are terminally ill and can't take the pain anymore? they are selfish because they should stick out intense pain?

#38 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

• 19,372 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:24

Bullying that made someone suicidal. Everyone's stability is at question when tired, never mind the scope this has taken. This is for the DJs and the **** reporters who had nothing better to write about than make fool of a hard working woman that dedicates most of her life in taking care of others. And yes nurses do long shifts very late at night.Edit: for **** money as well

They never bullied her at all, all she did was transfer a call.

#39 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:30

They never bullied her at all, all she did was transfer a call.

"Bullying" is a word that no longer has any legitimate meaning. It's now applied to everything.

#40 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• 1,966 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:37

One less person to contaminate the gene pool. Thats all that needs to be said. I got no sympathy for anyone who takes their own life if its not to save others in the process.

#41 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,002 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:55

I hope they go to jail and the station closes down. If you want to do a prank then keep it in line.

What? That is among the most retarded things I have read. They didn't break any laws. Have you ever done a prank call? Nearly everyone has.

It was a joke. She topped herself. The DJ's can't be expected to know that a caller they prank is going to kill themselves. SHE broke the rules, not the DJs.

#42 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,896 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:00

Suicide is a cowards selfish way out

You're selfish for saying that. Not to mention, you don't know what any other person goes through.

#43 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• 1,450 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:11

I feel worse for the DJ's. They shouldn't have to live with the guilt of causing someone to kill themselves. It was unforeseen that the outcome of the call was going to be death. MOST people don't off themselves when they get pranked on the phone, that's not normal behavior.

but most people also not get shamed all over the press, and that too all over the world!

#44 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 514 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:36

For the life of me I can't consider a prank call as funny. They are waisting the time of somebody for a few cheap laughs. Funny when you did it as a teenager, but not funny to make money from them.

Wouldn't want it happening to me, shouldn't be classed as entertainment.

/my 2¢.

Sorry for her and her family.

#45 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

• 19,372 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:50

What? That is among the most retarded things I have read. They didn't break any laws. Have you ever done a prank call? Nearly everyone has.

It was a joke. She topped herself. The DJ's can't be expected to know that a caller they prank is going to kill themselves. SHE broke the rules, not the DJs.

She didn't break any rules, she didn't get pranked, etc. There were two nurses involved and the one who got pranked is fine.