12 posts in this topic

Posted

http://bgr.com/2012/...ss-exit-247155/

The global smartphone industry is expected to grow to reach $150 billion in 2014, andDell (DELL) wants no part of it. According to Jeff Clarke, head of Dell

Posted

Dell has a few Android and WP7 devices on the market, yes, they were in the smartphone business.

Posted

Dell has a few Android and WP7 devices on the market, yes, they were in the smartphone business.

Thanks. Just came here to ask those questions. Never knew they were in the smartphone business.

Posted

They didn't exactly try very hard. :s

Posted

dell was in the smartphone business ?

Shame they weren't. Dell is huge in the business world. A lot of companies probably would have bought from them if they had played their cards right.

Posted

I've talked to a few dell streak owners and they were happy with thier devices...

Posted

It's probably for the best, as nobody even knew they'd entered the smartphone market.

Posted

**** poor attempt. Doubt many care anyway.

Posted

I think they were only pushing ZTE manufactured phones.

Posted

Dell did have the potential to take over BlackBerry's former status as business heavyweights in the mobile industry if they tied their services properly :V

Posted

I remember Dell's offerings. They were not very good, and that's being polite.

They've been in the smart-device market for quite a while.

Posted

It's a regretful decision, but it had to be done or that division would have continued sucking money without showing any tangible results.

Dell's Axim line of PocketPCs was very solid. I remember how I wanted one, but never got it because of the whole looming touch interface.

So what happened is: Dell bet on Microsoft, but it took the latter ages to catch up in that sphere and finally deliver the product. At which point, Dell already lost too much on the mobile business. And in a such saturated and competitive market, they've probably figured out that it's not worth it and will focus on their core business instead.