Baltimore man gets speed camera ticket for going 0 MPH

The City of Baltimore recently issued a ticket to Daniel Doty for speeding 38 miles per hour in a 25-mph zone ? but photos and video captured by the speed camera system showed that his car was stopped at a red light at the time. :huh:

Doty told The Baltimore Sun that photos included with the ticket issued on April 24 made it ?shockingly obvious? that his four-door Mazda wagon stopped at a red light with the break lights on. A three-second video clip provided as evidence also showed that Doty?s car was motionless as he waited for the light to turn green.

?It was like someone was so obviously asleep at the switch,? Doty explained. ?I thought that was not supposed to happen.?

Xerox State and Local Solutions, which is the contractor for Baltimore?s speed and red light cameras, said that each citation went through a two-step review to verify its accuracy, including an officer who must swear that the vehicle was going at least 12 MPH over the posted speed limit.

Police spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi would not reveal which officer reviewed Doty?s ticket, but did say that an officer could review as many as 1,200 tickets in a day.

?The department finds any error unacceptable,? Guglielmi told the Sun.

more

at 1200 tickets a day at some point your mind most likely goes into auto pilot :/ manual review is not always the greatest method of things

Funny, the officer who reviewed the tape needs to get a suspension/fine.

Why? For making a harmless mistake? No one was hurt; just inconvenienced...

Yeah these systems are not automated, only the submission of the infraction is and the billing. A sworn officer has to manually review each of the infractions and approve/deny them before the ticket is actually sent out. At least that is the way it is down here in Florida from the 2 major vendors that offer these services to local agencies.

Why? For making a harmless mistake? No one was hurt; just inconvenienced...

Usually I'd think this as well. However 'harmless', no. The officer is stating that per the evidence provided to him the driver DID speed/go through the light... He lied.

Yes, he is likely overworked, but holding PEOPLE accountable is the best way to force change. Additionally, how many more incidents like this have occurred? Where the equipment stated that the person was going at a speed that was horribly wrong?

1200 tickets a day, they are not being reviewed, those tickets are being manually batch processed IMHO.

If we are to assume that each video clip is 3 seconds long, it would only take an hour to review 1200 tickets (3 x 1200 = 3600 seconds = 1 hour). Obviously you'd add a few seconds to actually play the video clips.

Seems doable!

If we are to assume that each video clip is 3 seconds long, it would only take an hour to review 1200 tickets (3 x 1200 = 3600 seconds = 1 hour). Obviously you'd add a few seconds to actually play the video clips.

Seems doable!

Yea if you watched them back to back, but after each one the person watching has to write up the report / issue the ticket

If they had a YES / NO button it would be easier lol

...his four-door Mazda wagon stopped at a red light with the break lights on.

"break" lights? Oh ffs. Oi, Baltimore Sun, looking for an editor? My rates are reasonable :D

Yes please hire Charisma she has mad grammar and spelling skills and a nice tush. (Y)

best of luck to you Charisma! :)

ROFL, how would you know what my tush looks like? :laugh:

But yeah, come on, that's an elementary mistake :s

Anyway, on-topic... I assume they'll just let him tear up the ticket and be done with it. Mistakes happen--cannot believe how many people make such a HUGE DEAL about these things. Good job he isn't trying to sue for 'emotional distress' or some BS.

• Like 2

Usually I'd think this as well. However 'harmless', no. The officer is stating that per the evidence provided to him the driver DID speed/go through the light... He lied.

Yes, he is likely overworked, but holding PEOPLE accountable is the best way to force change. Additionally, how many more incidents like this have occurred? Where the equipment stateOd that the person was going at a speed that was horribly wrong?

I'm betting as soon as he shows his ticket to someone in administration, they'll correct the mistake. That's ask it was, a mistake.

"break" lights? Oh ffs. Oi, Baltimore Sun, looking for an editor? My rates are reasonable :D

Yeah, I've caught and corrected several News stories too. I commented before that spelling mistakes seem to be on the rise. :laugh:

Yeah, I've caught and corrected several News stories too. I commented before that spelling mistakes seem to be on the rise. :laugh:

damn you autocorrect.