On verge of selling S3 - too much data being used. Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#136 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 27 December 2012 - 16:25

No offence, but i strongly disagree.

Time better used elsewhere? Doing what exactly? As has been said, i haven't taken time off work to post on Neowin - i do it in my spare time. What would i be doing at the point in the day when i'm on here if i wasn't on here? Well probably just browsing some other website really. A car forum perhaps. Looking something up out of boredom. Maybe playing a game or watching TV - in other words, nothing really vital.

So i've lost nothing - no time and certainly no money. The only way you could "solve" the problem, other than actually solving it, is to upgrade to a 1GB plan, which isn't going to happen. The other option is to find out what you can do to tweak it - which is what we're doing.

Anyway, soon be Jan 1st - which is when her next data plan begins & she'll get a true result of what these new measures are doing.

#137 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:24

What I mean is that sometimes the time you spend trying to rectify or resolve this things could be used to improve your career, thus getting you more money thus solving the issue...

I guess my response was for the OP to maybe look at the bigger picture of what he wants to achieve.

You say look at the bigger picture, but i dont see how giving o2 more money solves the problem its just delaying it and making you waste money the best solution is normally finding out what the problem is and solving it and thats what the OP is trying to do.

Infact i think most business men would tell you that finding a solution to a problem rather than wasting money is always the best approach, sure its good for a short term if you dont have time to find a decent solution but you have to think long term. Who knows maybe his daughter is just using her mobile more because its new, we soon start to use them less though. As said too ads are a big problem if they are in games or on websites.

#138 omganinja

omganinja

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:32

You say look at the bigger picture, but i dont see how giving o2 more money solves the problem its just delaying it and making you waste money the best solution is normally finding out what the problem is and solving it and thats what the OP is trying to do.

Infact i think most business men would tell you that finding a solution to a problem rather than wasting money is always the best approach, sure its good for a short term if you dont have time to find a decent solution but you have to think long term. Who knows maybe his daughter is just using her mobile more because its new, we soon start to use them less though. As said too ads are a big problem if they are in games or on websites.

It's his wife, not his daughter.

#139 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:28

It's his wife, not his daughter.

I dont see how correcting me is helpful to the topic infact its just wasted my time, plus if the OP minded im sure he would of said something on the 19/20th when he quoted me where i made the same mistake. Daughter/wife are normally both very much loved by there father/husband anyhow, plus i dont remember what i did yesterday never mind 10 day's ago and yes i did look up my responses as like i just said i have a bad memory.

Anyway i guess i'll log out of the forum and respond when i log back in, ina few days pointless reading loads of quotes that just waste my time.

#140 omganinja

omganinja

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:57

I dont see how correcting me is helpful to the topic infact its just wasted my time, plus if the OP minded im sure he would of said something on the 19/20th when he quoted me where i made the same mistake. Daughter/wife are normally both very much loved by there father/husband anyhow, plus i dont remember what i did yesterday never mind 10 day's ago and yes i did look up my responses as like i just said i have a bad memory.

Anyway i guess i'll log out of the forum and respond when i log back in, ina few days pointless reading loads of quotes that just waste my time.

lol

#141 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 30 December 2012 - 16:02

I dont see how correcting me is helpful to the topic

You're right - in that it didn't bother me

But using your argument ..... i also don't see how it's helpful for the topic for people to say

1) get rid of facebook, it's useless, it's a waste of time, it's the devils work. We know you say this isn't an option, but we're going to ignore that & suggest it anyway, wasting your time & ours.
2) pay more for a bigger data plan when you never needed it before & don't actually need it now. We know you've said that you wont pay more, but we're going to ignore that & keep replying suggesting that you do pay more, wasting your time & ours.

#142 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 30 December 2012 - 16:25

2) pay more for a bigger data plan when you never needed it before & don't actually need it now. We know you've said that you wont pay more, but we're going to ignore that & keep replying suggesting that you do pay more, wasting your time & ours.

Times do change ya know. For example, 512mb of ram may have been acceptable back when you were using a P4 system, but it sure doesn't work now. Likewise, lowend, budget data plans may have been workable years ago with dumbphones that could barely web browse, but they don't fit in todays devices(especially HIGH END devices).

Also, your whole "i want to be cheap and pair a super budget data plan with a high end phone" thing reminds me of those people who do rather dumb things like buying a high end $350+ video card, then pairing it up with a $50 cpu.

#143 BobSlob

BobSlob

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2012 - 16:48

You're right - in that it didn't bother me

But using your argument ..... i also don't see how it's helpful for the topic for people to say

1) get rid of facebook, it's useless, it's a waste of time, it's the devils work. We know you say this isn't an option, but we're going to ignore that & suggest it anyway, wasting your time & ours.

If you're using newer technology you require a bigger data plan, and it's obvious you do actually need it, regardless of what you say. Facebook is a media intensive app... everyone and their mother is on it.

If you drive a Prius for years then get a huge 4x4 Truck... you're gonna use more gas... the answer isnt simply to refuse to do it.

#144 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 30 December 2012 - 16:54

Your argument falls flat though.

If you're using newer technology you require a bigger data plan,

Right let's take that argument....

The iPhone 4S is newer than the iPhone 3GS - newer technology, i'm sure we can all agree on this. Therefore by your own admission - if you run an iPhone 4S over a 3GS, which is 2 iPhones on from the 3GS, then you'd require a bigger data plan, or at the very least be pushing your current data plan closer to the limits.

So why in that case has my data usage NOT changed one little bit - despite the newer technology.

"But iphones are different" is something i suspect you may say.

Ah yes, but we're not talking about iPhones being different are we. You said "if you're using newer technology you REQUIRE a bigger data plan", you didn't say you may require, you said it as though you WILL require.

Yet i don't.

Something doesn't stack up here ....... and it's the people who are saying a new data plan >IS< required & that it's the >ONLY< answer.

#145 BobSlob

BobSlob

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2012 - 16:58

Your argument falls flat though.
Right let's take that argument....

The iPhone 4S is newer than the iPhone 3GS - newer technology, i'm sure we can all agree on this. Therefore by your own admission - if you run an iPhone 4S over a 3GS, which is 2 iPhones on from the 3GS, then you'd require a bigger data plan, or at the very least be pushing your current data plan closer to the limits.

So why in that case has my data usage NOT changed one little bit - despite the newer technology.

"But iphones are different" is something i suspect you may say.

Ah yes, but we're not talking about iPhones being different are we. You said "if you're using newer technology you REQUIRE a bigger data plan", you didn't say you may require, you said it as though you WILL require.

Yet i don't.

Something doesn't stack up here ....... and it's the people who are saying a new data plan >IS< required & that it's the >ONLY< answer.

Because the Iphone 3GS and the SGS3 have the same screen size and specs... Its quite clear you should hit the SGS3 with a hammer and go back to the 3GS.

You also say your data usage hasn't changed... we're not talking about your data usage at all. Give the 4S to your wife and see.

#146 joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 December 2012 - 17:06

The only time I've seen this happen, is to a friend of mine who uses PAYG. Her old Android phone use to eat her money. Put in £10 and within days it would disappear because of data charges.

The only way I could stop it was by turning of all mobile data had to turn of mobile data and one or two other settings. Although sometimes it would turn its self back on, on its own. Use to eat her money in no time, go to sleep and wake up, and you'd be missing £3.

Never ever figured out the reason why, once she changed phones and moved to a sony xperia, she hasn't had the issue since.

Didn't read the entire thread, so if it hasn't been suggested yet, wipe the phone and start again and make sure you have done the latest updates :) and make sure your wifes usage hasn't changed.

#147 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 17:20

tell her to get off facebook

#148 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 December 2012 - 17:22

I remember reading when I had my Samsung Galaxy S, and had Cyanogenmod that 1 thing they fixed was it still using data connection when wifi was on.. Maybe that's possible in this case

#149 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 30 December 2012 - 17:38

At what time of the month does she normally go over her limit?

#150 Guest_seanseany_*

Guest_seanseany_*

Posted 30 December 2012 - 18:07

Yea I get what you mean, but £10 p/m soon adds up and if you are like most us are atm, £10 p/m is needed elsewhere like Gas (The heating type)

If money is that tight , why spend all that money on decent phone(s), when as you say, you could be spending it on gas ? . Priorities is a word that springs to mind.

GiffGaff is a very good service.I was on o2 for years and made the change. Everything is exactly the same as o2....well apart from costs !!! Join the forum and please ask if you have questions ( Forum members get paid to answer questions).

If you're that skint and unable to upgrade the data plan ,sell the phone and buy a cheaper one as a replacement.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!