nexus 4 google play store support terrible service

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 December 2012 - 20:40

I, like many others, was really excited and enticed by Google's Nexus 4 Android phone. Finally a decent no-contract smartphone that was affordable!

After defeating the Google Play Store boss on November 27th, I was thrilled when my Nexus 4 shipped a whole week early! Sadly, the device didn't last 8 hours of on time before it decided it had enough of this world and bricked itself while on the charger.

I called Google Play Support and they were sympathetic. They promised that a replacement Nexus 4 would be shipped ASAP and that I should receive it in a few days. At most they said by the end of the week. Their email even specified "less than a week" shipping in it.

That week came and passed and I received no shipping information. I called Google Play Support yesterday evening to ask what the status was.

The first guy I spoke to assured me that actually the problem was with UPS. Apparently my replacement Nexus 4 was in a shipping container just waiting for UPS to come pick it up. I was thrilled and told him I was so excited to receive shipping information tomorrow. He couldn't guarantee that it would be shipped tomorrow, but within the next few days. Surely if it is boxed and ready to go, then scheduling UPS to come pick the box up shouldn't be a problem. Let me Google that for you, I explained. Sure enough, "schedule a pickup" would be a cinche! Let me talk to your supervisor.

Supervisor: No that isn't quite accurate and actually we are completely out of Nexus 4's and it could take weeks! No, can't compensate you for your time other than apologize and ask that you be patient. Can I talk to YOUR supervisor, I asked politely. No, my supervisor is an executive and doesn't take phone calls. Followed by a "Have a good day sir" and a *click*.

Today I receive an email from Google Play Store which spells it out further:

Hello -x-snip-x-,
Thank you for contacting us.
We recently have been updated, the replacement devices have been put on a backorder and will be shipped with in 3- 5 weeks. If you any other questions please feel free to reply back to this email.
Thanks,

Josh

Who knows? Maybe there will be a Christmas Miracle and I will receive a replacement Nexus 4 before the end of this week.

Meanwhile, Google Play Store has over $700 in charges and holds on my CC and I have nothing on my end. They won't even compensate me for my time. I mean, come on, is $20 in Google Play Store credits really a lot from Google?

Oh well. Lessened learned about the poor quality service that we can now expect from Google.

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 17 December 2012 - 20:48

That's unfortunate.

I personally don't see how it's Googles fault. I understand that it's inconvenient, and that there was poor service on the phone. However, it is your choice to take the time to call and spend time on the phone with them. I don't see why they should compensate you for YOUR Time that YOU chose to spend on the phone.

Why they should give you anything, I am unsure. They didn't brick your phone, they didn't purposely run out of stock. I agree they should have been more forthcoming about the status from the get go, and they should have had some back-stock as it was clear the product was going to be a hot-seller.

That's just how I see it though.

#3 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 20:57

It may not be Google's fault, but it is definitely their problem. They put their name on it. Its their support that are taking phone calls, not LG.

There were folks who ordered their Nexus 4s early last week after I had requested a replacement, and they already received their orders. Multiple accounts of people who were some of the first to order on Nov 27th, received 1-2 week shipping time frames, and are still waiting for their orders to ship. My shipping was estimated 2-3 weeks, and it shipped a week early. They have some serious out-of-order problems going on over there.

But anyway, I'm just sharing what my experience has been with Google and Android so far. I expect a lot of Google apologist in this thread defending them...so..whatever.

#4 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:02

However, it is your choice to take the time to call and spend time on the phone with them. I don't see why they should compensate you for YOUR Time that YOU chose to spend on the phone.

Why is it unreasonable to you for me to call them to see what is going on with my replacement order? I only called after the date they specified I would receive shipping tracking on.

There were reports in November about some folks being refunded the full amount of the Nexus 4 and basically given the device for free over small RMA issues. Clearly now that was a publicity stunt. A small compensation for holding onto your customers money while they wait for a product is not too much to ask and not out of the ordinary for any respectable tech company. Google doesn't seem to fall into the 'respectable' category, it would seem...

#5 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:03

I agree it's their problem, I wasn't defending them or apoligizing for them, they are a big company they can take care of themselves. I would be upset too, I just would know that they don't owe me anything outside of the replacement phone (they didn't take money and run). I have read about that (the shipping issues) and yea it isn't right.

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to call, as it IS your product. However it's your choice to make that phone call and I don't see why you should be given anything for that. I don't know of any company that gives out "freebies" while you wait for something.

I've ordered multiple products online and waited a month for some to arrive. I didn't get anything for it. They aren't "holding your money" you paid them for your product. They sent it, it broke, you sent it back so they are sending a new one. You really paid for the first one, they are giving you the second one as the first one broke quite rapidly.

And if this is your experience with Android, that sucks.. hopefully it picks up. I would take an Android phone over any other mobile OS any day of the week.

#6 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:04

So you have at home the old Nexus 4 which is dead and they are sending you a new one? No charge and no asking for the old one back? Or am i missing something?

And isnt there any way to actually un-brick the phone?

#7 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:05

I just can't wait to get my hands on mine.. Still waiting and have been given 15th of Jan as an estimate.. Hope it comes sooner though!

Sorry about your bad experience, hope mine doesn't brick.. maybe it was something to do with the image they pulled.. Who knows.

#8 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:13

So you have at home the old Nexus 4 which is dead and they are sending you a new one? No charge and no asking for the old one back? Or am i missing something?

And isnt there any way to actually un-brick the phone?

Nah, I sent them back the bricked phone. Its no good to me at this point, lol... but I may have tried harder to unbrick it if I had known the delay to receive a replacement would be like this.

They currently have a $350 hold on my CC. According to their email that hold should disappear 8-10 days after they receive my defective Nexus 4 and confirm that it is an "under warranty" problem. I'm not sure what will happen if they decide for some reason not to honor their warranty. I'm not going to worry about that until Friday which is when their 10 days are up (they received the defective Nexus 4 last Wednesday).

I've ordered multiple products online and waited a month for some to arrive. I didn't get anything for it. They aren't "holding your money" you paid them for your product. They sent it, it broke, you sent it back so they are sending a new one. You really paid for the first one, they are giving you the second one as the first one broke quite rapidly.

I think they could have at least waited to put the $350 hold on my CC when the replacement Nexus 4 actually shipped. Its kind of a tight squeeze but hopefully that will be removed by the end of the week. I'm getting use to broken promises from Google, so nothing would surprise me either way.

But yes, they are "holding my money" because their policy is to hold an additional $350 until they determine that the defective Nexus 4 I sent back to them was their fault and not mine. Basically, they don't trust their customers and err on the side of caution. I understand there are scammers out there, doesn't change the fact that I don't like being treated like one.

#9 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:14

Nah, I sent them back the bricked phone. Its no good to me at this point, lol... but I may have tried harder to unbrick it if I had known the delay to receive a replacement would be like this.

They currently have a $350 hold on my CC. According to their email that hold should disappear 8-10 days after they receive my defective Nexus 4 and confirm that it is an "under warranty" problem. I'm not sure what will happen if they decide for some reason not to honor their warranty. I'm not going to worry about that until Friday which is when their 10 days are up (they received the defective Nexus 4 last Wednesday).

O.k, did you try to unbrick and is it even possible to unbrick this device if such thing happens?
I'm waiting for my device to arrive, the ETA is tomorrow :)

#10 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:20

I just can't wait to get my hands on mine.. Still waiting and have been given 15th of Jan as an estimate.. Hope it comes sooner though!

Sorry about your bad experience, hope mine doesn't brick.. maybe it was something to do with the image they pulled.. Who knows.

Yes, I read about them pulling the image off of the developer site. I wonder what that was about. Speculators thought it had something to do with LTE or something (I have no idea).

At least the Dan Cabley has come out and said something about what is going on in the UK. Google has been pretty silent on this whole thing here in the US.

O.k, did you try to unbrick and is it even possible to unbrick this device if such thing happens?
I'm waiting for my device to arrive, the ETA is tomorrow :)

Chances are yours will be fine. Most are fine. I doubt the defect is as wide spread as, say, the XBox 360 RRoD problem.

I'm not sure what would be possible. Mine got stuck at the "Google" boot screen and wouldn't move pass that. My wife has an EVO 4G and she recommended removing the battery as that is what she has to do sometimes in those situations. Not possible with the N4 though :(.

Others suggested downloading the Nexus 4 Tools and reflashing the device, but given the fact that I had JUST received the phone I definitely didn't want to do anything that could have affected my Warranty.

Its ok. I can wait. I really don't want any other phone on the market. I considered cancelling and asking for a refund on principle, but there isn't another phone I want right now so it looks like my only option is to wait it out.

#11 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:24

Chances are yours will be fine. Most are fine. I doubt the defect is as wide spread as, say, the XBox 360 RRoD problem.

I'm not sure what would be possible. Mine got stuck at the "Google" boot screen and wouldn't move pass that. My wife has an EVO 4G and she recommended removing the battery as that is what she has to do sometimes in those situations. Not possible with the N4 though :(.

Others suggested downloading the Nexus 4 Tools and reflashing the device, but given the fact that I had JUST received the phone I definitely didn't want to do anything that could have affected my Warranty.

Its ok. I can wait. I really don't want any other phone on the market. I considered cancelling and asking for a refund on principle, but there isn't another phone I want right now so it looks like my only option is to wait it out.

I'm just thinking out loud here but instead of removing the battery could you just let the battery drain and then plug it again and see what happens?

And regarding reflashing the phone i think you can later just factory restore it and no one can know.

#12 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:35

I'm just thinking out loud here but instead of removing the battery could you just let the battery drain and then plug it again and see what happens?

And regarding reflashing the phone i think you can later just factory restore it and no one can know.

It wasn't even booting into Recover Mode. I could get to the boot loader, and select from the various boot options. But the two boot options resulted the same: "Google" on the screen w/o any response even after leaving it there for 30 mins. Ah well, its in the past now.

I've heard that its not good to let an Lithium Ion battery drain completely. There is suppose to be a safety mechanism built into the battery that prevents discharge past 2% or w/e. A completely drained (0%) lithium ion battery could become permanently damaged and unable to hold a charge. If ever you store a lithium ion battery, or a device that has one it is recommended to keep about a 60-80% charge on it.

#13 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:38

It wasn't even booting into Recover Mode. I could get to the boot loader, and select from the various boot options. But the two boot options resulted the same: "Google" on the screen w/o any response even after leaving it there for 30 mins. Ah well, its in the past now.

I've heard that its not good to let an Lithium Ion battery drain completely. There is suppose to be a safety mechanism built into the battery that prevents discharge past 2% or w/e. A completely drained (0%) lithium ion battery could become permanently damaged and unable to hold a charge. If ever you store a lithium ion battery, or a device that has one it is recommended to keep about a 60-80% charge on it.

Interesting... I didnt know that...

O.k, thanks for the info.

#14 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:41

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to call, as it IS your product. However it's your choice to make that phone call and I don't see why you should be given anything for that. I don't know of any company that gives out "freebies" while you wait for something.

Idk. I think it would be a really good sign that they care about their customers if they gave something for the time and trouble. Perhaps a free orb charger (because I think everyone has given up on that ever coming out)? In the end their support lied to me twice. First they assured me that my order would be shipped last week, and it was not. And then they lied to me and said my box was ready to go and it was UPS fault for not picking it up.

They can offer me lies, but no compensation.

#15 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:43

Holding the power button does a reset. So no ..

That trick only worked on my father's iPhone 4

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!