nexus 4 google play store support terrible service

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:55

I feel for you, I do, but this is part of what happens when you buy a phone that's sold out. You said it yourself. You "defeated the play store boss". You and I don't have a clue how they have things set up. They could be shipping new phones directly from a factory, they could be shipping replacements from an office, perhaps they are out of replacements, even if people are getting new phones, that doesn't mean that's the process you have to go through to get a replacement and so it's not as simple as saying "well someone else got their phone already!". Sure, it makes it a little worse that they told you it would be shipped already, but again, you're talking about a phone that's sold out because the demand is so high. That's part of being an early adopter. If you need a replacement, it might not come as fast as you'd like. Why do you seem to think you're so entitled to get something free out of this? I can't see this as much more than a decision you made and there might be a few consequences that come with it. Next time wait until a phone is out and stock is abundant before purchasing and you probably won't have the issue. Like I said, I definitely feel for you, but that's just kinda how it goes when you are an early adopter.

#17 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:08

They indicated that they are out of replacements. They said they set aside a number of replacements that should have statistically covered the replacement units that they had expected but that number was underestimated.

If their system was setup proper, they would have shipped mine prior to orders specified as 3-5 weeks last week. But I'm not only an early adopter of Nexus 4. I'm also apparently a beta tester for Google's whole device buying through the Google Play Store experience.

Like I said, I'm planning to just wait for my phone to arrive and hope their estimate (like the original shipping estimate) is being super conservative.

Am I entitled to compensation? Certainly not. But if Google smooths things over with me, I may consider buying their next device. As of now and how they've treated (especially with the lying to me about it being packaged and they are just waiting for UPS) I will probably never buy hardware from them again.

I've been an "early adopter" many times on Apple products and nothing near this much hassle. In fact the iPhone 4 I'm using now was an "early adopter" device and it is still working strong and the battery life is amazing even after 2 years.

But Apple is working on 30 years of experience. Any iPhone 5 user that has an issue would be in and out of an Apple Store with a replacement that day. You get what you pay for...you certainly get what it is you pay for.

#18 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z White

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:24

This problem happens to all modern phones, has to do with a battery thing being broken :-P
Exact same thing happened to me and a friend before so it's not just the nexus 4 you're just very unlucky lol

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:39

It does seem to be a battery problem but I wouldn't touch an LG phone with a 10 foot pole. I've had nothing but problems with their phones.

#20 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:50

It does seem to be a battery problem but I wouldn't touch an LG phone with a 10 foot pole. I've had nothing but problems with their phones.

I thought my very first cell phone which was a flip LG feature phone was a pretty solid device :D. I was excited that after all these years I was going to return to them. Hehe... oh well, now I know.

#21 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

Long time reader

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:57

My LG phone has been awful. File for a return as soon as you receive the replacement. i have an LG G2x and it's a lot of trouble.

Otherwise, XDA has a thread titled: [Official] Play Store orders & shipping thread!

HTH - RETURN IT

#22 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:02

My LG phone has been awful. File for a return as soon as you receive the replacement. i have an LG G2x and it's a lot of trouble.

Otherwise, XDA has a thread titled: [Official] Play Store orders & shipping thread!

HTH - RETURN IT

Damn. That is disheartening :(. Thanks for the honesty though. I think I'm going to hold out and see what I think about the quality of the replacement. At least some folks are saying they haven't had any problems with theirs. I'm hoping there is just an over-vocal minority of users who had problems (like me) who are blowing the problems out of proportion.

#23 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:42

Just call them and ask them to refund you as opposed to sending out a new phone. You'll either a) get your money back and can go buy a new phone or b) get your replacement a whole lot quicker ;)

#24 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:50

Thanks for the advice. I've thought about doing just that, but I'm worried I'm going to be charged a 15% restocking fee if I do. If I was dealing with any other company but Google, I wouldn't be worried about that 15% restocking fee at all. I know that I would be able to call them up, and they would see that it was perfectly reasonable to not charge me the 15% restocking fee given the hassle of it all.

I don't think that would be the case. I may call and ask them on Friday if they will charge a restocking fee...I'm still thinking about it. Their support staff left me with the impression that (1) they will say whatever they need to to get you off of the phone, even if untruthful or misleading (2) the supervisors have no real authority over the process at all. They are just supervisors for whoever they are supervising and can't go beyond the bounds of first tier support.

Their computer system will probably just add the 15% restock fee when they initiate a refund, they will say that they have no way to refund it, and that they apologize but if I review the information on the warranty card that came with my Nexus 4 I would know that already (essentially what they keep telling me).

I report this all back with a very heavy heart. If someone would have told me they had this kind of experience with Google a few months ago I would not have believed them...

But alas, I really liked the phone while it worked. I still think it is the phone I want. I don't have another phone in mind to get...I don't have a lot of money to spend and won't go on a 2-year contract plan postpaid network to get a discount on a phone. If the replacement phone comes in and turns out to suck, I'll refund it and just stick with my iPhone 4 for a few more months and see what hardware comes out. I wish smartphones weren't so stupid expensive in general. To me it seems like they are artificially set really high when compared to even 3G/LTE Tablets. Why is that?

#25 dnast

dnast

Long-winded

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:46

I think you're taking it pretty well. Sure, I'd be a little annoyed by the phone malfunctioning so soon, but I can't stand getting told one thing by CS rep only to be told something a lot different on a follow-up call (unless it's a positive change). I know it's not always their fault - in some cases they probably don't have any more information than the general public - but you feel helpless when you need information you can't even trust what they're telling you.

I also would be frustrated with the $350 hold on the CC after already paying for the phone. That part doesn't even make sense to me. They've already charged you for the phone, but now that you need to return it they put a hold on an additional $350? I'd understand if they shipped the replacement right away without yet receiving the defective phone, but whatever... I hope your luck turns around soon.

In regards to smartphone prices, I think a lot of it has to do with subsidies from the carriers (at least in the US). Consumers don't really "feel" the true cost of the phone, so they just buy whatever phone they like for a huge discount and pay the rest as part of the phone bill without realizing it.

#26 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z White

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:38

People are talking bad about LG but my old phone which was a lg gw620(aka eve) android phone was very good and survived all the drops and even a dive :p

I also would be frustrated with the $350 hold on the CC after already paying for the phone. That part doesn't even make sense to me. They've already charged you for the phone, but now that you need to return it they put a hold on an additional $350? I'd understand if they shipped the replacement right away without yet receiving the defective phone, but whatever... I hope your luck turns around soon.

A company would be stupid if they didn't, it would be largely abused in no time and cost them a lot and so indirectly make their products more expensive...

#27 1WayJonny

1WayJonny

General, I salute you!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:50

Did you OEM unlock the device? I had my Nexus 4 stuck at the Google screen and was able to fix it by re-flashing the factory image but that still did not work.

I had to UNLOCK, flash factory image, then relock and the nexus came back to life. I think Google pulled the factory images in regards to this bootloop not any LTE stuff.

If you can get to you bootloader on a Nexus it is far form bricked.

If not from unlocking did you get an recent OTA update?

#28 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 15:31

Did you OEM unlock the device? I had my Nexus 4 stuck at the Google screen and was able to fix it by re-flashing the factory image but that still did not work.

I had to UNLOCK, flash factory image, then relock and the nexus came back to life. I think Google pulled the factory images in regards to this bootloop not any LTE stuff.

If you can get to you bootloader on a Nexus it is far form bricked.

If not from unlocking did you get an recent OTA update?

Well, Google already has my defective Nexus 4 because I shipped it immediately. I did read that they pulled the firmware last week but they haven't really come out and said why. I wondered if it was related to the problem I had as well.

Someone on The Verge forum recommended downloading the Nexus 4 Tools and doing what you describe but they weren't sure if it would fix the problem. If I would have read somewhere that doing this would fix the phone I probably would have tried it. I guess I should have held onto my hardware but the Google support rep made it sound like they would for sure ship something Monday or Tuesday of last week.

People are talking bad about LG but my old phone which was a lg gw620(aka eve) android phone was very good and survived all the drops and even a dive :p

A company would be stupid if they didn't, it would be largely abused in no time and cost them a lot and so indirectly make their products more expensive...

Its reasonable to tell the customer that they will be charged using the credit card that is on file if they fail to return the defective hardware within 30 or so days. Placing a hold on the card is a little more extreme (and really isn't common in my experience), but that is understandable too... however, I would say that if a company is going to go as far as to place a hold on your credit card then they should at least have the decency to promptly process your return.

#29 dnast

dnast

Long-winded

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:28

If they sent the replacement without the hold or the defective item, yeah that might be stupid (though some companies actually do this). However, they didn't ship anything and they have had his phone for a while now so there's really no reason for a hold on his card. Right now they have his phone and $700 of his money is unavailable to him (for now) and he has nothing to show for it.

#30 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:50

If they sent the replacement without the hold or the defective item, yeah that might be stupid (though some companies actually do this). However, they didn't ship anything and they have had his phone for a while now so there's really no reason for a hold on his card. Right now they have his phone and $700 of his money is unavailable to him (for now) and he has nothing to show for it.

I'm glad somebody gets this and how frustrating it has been :D. Yes! This! Exactly!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!