Wasp Nearly Replaced Black Widow in Avengers

Wasp Nearly Replaced Black Widow in Avengers

But the buzz died down when Scarlett signed on.

Joss Whedon has admitted that The Avengers very nearly had a different female lead: the diminutive Wasp.

Speaking in a Q&A session following a special 3D screening of the film at the Director?s Guild of America, Whedon confirmed that he had written a draft of the script featuring Wasp as a key member of the superhero squad.

"There was a little bit of time when we thought we might not actually get Scarlett," Whedon said. "There was a very Wasp-y draft that I wrote ? but it was way too Wasp-y. Because I was like, ?She?s adorable! I?m just going to write her!?"

Whedon also revealed that he had a disagreement with Marvel over the villain of the piece, having felt that Loki wasn?t enough of a threat on his own; that The Avengers ?need someone to hit?. However, Tom Hiddlestone soon became the film?s ?ace in the hole?.

?He?s so compelling and commanding and gracious,? Whedon enthused, adding that he knew from Hiddlestone?s performance that the film was ?going to be fine? with just one bad guy.

The director refused to be drawn on who he had originally lined up alongside Loki, as the villain may yet appear in a future Marvel film.

I doubt if it was the real cause.

5068c10cafa96f13f4001162.gif

He just saw some of it and didn't waste a second to cast Scarlett.

The picture below also makes it quite clear

Jeremy-Renner-Scarlett-Johansson-Avengers.jpg

Wasp would have been a much better character to build up and asset to the team. I feel Widow and Hawkeye, as live action characters, are just not up to the task as what the rest of the super powered group is. In cartoons, they could get away with these guys being a little over powered humans, but in live actions, its going to get harder to pull off.

I have high hopes that maybe the Wasp will make an appearance in the next Avengers movie. I don't see Black Widow or Hawkeye being characters that have to be there, unlike the other characters. They could switch different characters in and out of the series to replace those two.

Why limit it to only one female character at all? I mean Joss is pretty much known for writing strong females. Lets see Widow and Wasp and Ms Marvel.

• 1 month later...