In normal conditions, a hard drive is the most affordable and efficient way to back up music, video, and photo libraries. Yet most drives?typically made from lightweight materials such as plastic?won?t last through a disaster. The ioSafe N2 will. Designers wrapped the system?s dual hard drives in materials that protect it against the worst.

FAILURE

By default, the dual hard drives mirror each other, so if one drive fails, the other will have a copy of every byte lost. (This of course cuts the max storage from eight terabytes to four.) In the event of a complete meltdown, ioSafe will pay for forensic data recovery.

DROPS AND THEFT

A 0.05-inch steel shell surrounds the entire N2 and protects the drive from falls. The shell also helps deter thieves; an accessory allows users to padlock the front door and also bolt the drive to the floor or a tabletop.

HEAT

An inch of custom insulation protects the N2 from temperatures up to 1,550?F. Designers embedded water molecules into the layer; when the temperature rises above 160?F, the droplets evaporate and pull damaging heat away from the drives.

FIRE

The N2?s ventilation system circulates air during everyday use, but prevents flames from passing through. A fan pulls air from the N2?s front through an S-shaped vent, and out the rear exhaust. The angle of the vent makes it hard for flames to infiltrate the system.

WATER

IoSafe says the N2 will keep data safe for as long as three days in up to 10 feet of corrosive saltwater. Designers wrapped the hard drives in a 0.07-inch-thick watertight aluminum barrier. Users can remove a gasketed cap if they need to swap out the drives.

Price: from $599

harddrive.jpg

source

http://iosafe.com/products-n2-overview

Why did they sacrifice fire and water damage protection by fitting fans allowing airflow?

Have they never heard of a heatsink? They could have used the entire casing as a huge heatsink....... come to think of it, that could have a negative impact for fire

its a scam really. I don't see that thing protecting the disk from a fall. .05" steal for fall protection. lol.... What about shock protection i can't see what it does for that.

its a scam really. I don't see that thing protecting the disk from a fall. .05" steal for fall protection. lol.... What about shock protection i can't see what it does for that.

I've knocked my HAF 922 off the desk while it was running and disks spinning and everything survived, desk is about 1m high

I've knocked my HAF 922 off the desk while it was running and disks spinning and everything survived, desk is about 1m high

heh, I've knocked my tower over once when it was on too. I went to get out of my chair, and when I pulled the chair back the case got caught on it and slammed on the floor. I was so paranoid about my hdd's, but they work fine to this day.

I'm thinking the 0.05 inch thick steel won't be effective but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

You know Neowin did a test on those indestructable flash drives before... I think we should put this thing to the test too.

heh, I've knocked my tower over once when it was on too. I went to get out of my chair, and when I pulled the chair back the case got caught on it and slammed on the floor. I was so paranoid about my hdd's, but they work fine to this day.

I was fun fighting with my mate while we were very drunk, we threw ourselves into the desk and over it went