What TV off of the Internet?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 OP Rockrz

Rockrz

Neowinian

• 42 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 20:59

Yeah, we have the Roku box and my wife uses it to watch Netflix...

#17 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:24

Anyway to get Japanese TV from the internet?

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:27

Yeah, we have the Roku box and my wife uses it to watch Netflix...

Is that not what you're after?

Anyway to get Japanese TV from the internet?

Maybe find something here

http://www.livestream.com

#19 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,709 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:29

Filmon has a windows 8 application that works great for uk tv channels most of the official sites only allow streaming in the same country, Should you go on other sites that link to yycast streams make sure you have a network firewall or admuncher the adverts tend to be the malicious kind.

#20 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:31

Sounds like you are looking for XBMC with some streaming plugins for hulu and netflix. Also install free cable, that streams from various sites (abc.com cbs.com, nbc.com, etc)

Its all possible very easily with XMBC. Learning XBMC can be a challenge tho. xbmchub has all the plugin infos. read the XBMC forums for which plugins do what. Some are great and updated and some are expired.

#21 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:38

I just signed up for a year with crapcast for 69.99 a month. 50mb Internet and basic tv plus hbo for a year.

Thats a great deal, where Im at 20Mbit internet is over $70 alone.

Its $131 for basic cable & 20Mbit internet. add an additional $18 for HBO, as it needs to be in a superpack bundle with 15 other channels I'll likely never watch. Also, If you want that in HD, add $6 for the HD receiver rental to your monthly bill or $15 if you want DVR ability. Don't forget the $9 for HD-available programming, any channel you subscribe to in SD that is available in HD will be automatically put in HD.

This is just an example how it works if you don't sign into 2 year+ contracts for TV. Its ridiculous if you want just HD HBO. This is why HBOgo should be available provider-free.

#22 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,696 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:57

I just go to specific TV Station sites. They usually have their broadcasted tv shows available to watch online also.

#23 OP Rockrz

Rockrz

Neowinian

• 42 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 23:29

Sounds like you are looking for XBMC with some streaming plugins for hulu and netflix. Also install free cable, that streams from various sites (abc.com cbs.com, nbc.com, etc)

Its all possible very easily with XMBC. Learning XBMC can be a challenge tho. xbmchub has all the plugin infos. read the XBMC forums for which plugins do what. Some are great and updated and some are expired.

OK, k00L.... I'll see if I can find more on that.

#24 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 December 2012 - 23:33

Try PlayOn. I used to use it for sports a year ago. It seems to have evolved into something better than when I used to have it.

http://www.playon.tv/playon
http://www.playon.tv/content-channels

And it is really cheap. $50 for a lifetime membership I think.

#25 Slipdisc210

Slipdisc210

Neowinian Metallurgist

• 690 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:57

It allows streaming of any media through your wireless network to a smartTV. I rip my movies to an external drive and can point and click and choose to watch whatever I like. There are also lots of plugins you can add on for other media sources.

And to other Macs and PC, tablets and smartphones, through wired or wireless or even mobile broadband connections. Get it right, if you are going to attempt to answer a question, you should probably be qualified, which you are obviously not.

#26 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• 19,544 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 30 December 2012 - 20:28

And to other Macs and PC, tablets and smartphones, through wired or wireless or even mobile broadband connections. Get it right, if you are going to attempt to answer a question, you should probably be qualified, which you are obviously not.

The OP isn't interested in tablets and smartphones, I'm quite sure if he's interested in the app after hearing the description from a daily user, he can search for more info.

#27 OP Rockrz

Rockrz

Neowinian

• 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 21:11

Exactly, I'd like to replace regular TV somehow with spending alot of money... I don't mind buying equipment to use in this endeavor if it will enable me to sit on me couch and channel surf just like I had cable or dish.

Just looking for a way to do this thru the net...

#28 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:18

Are they live streams of the network channels (like cable tv)? Or are they just videos from those channels you can watch whenever?

I used it for college basketball (Go Kentucky Wildcats! :)) and it was live streams. Great HD quality, as well. But as I said, I haven't used it in over a year, since I got cable. They didn't have NFL, which is the sole reason why I got cable, otherwise I would have kept using PlayOn.

#29 OP Rockrz

Rockrz

Neowinian

• 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:33

So, you didn't watch the Wildcats this year?

#30 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,774 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:35

ever try readon? there's tons of free tv on it. nothing premium like hbo, I don't think, but it's all free. (can't post a link, I'm mobile and going down the road)