Dredd 3D [2012]

dredd_ver2.jpg

Haven't watched the original one, yet, but whats worth mentioning is that three of my friends say that this one is tons better than the first one, and more often than not, I tend to agree with their judgment on movies.

Violent, unforgettable, amazing, colorful, chaotic, and filled with one of the best performances of the year

9.25 out of 10

Great film, very sad that it never recouped its money at the box office - hopefully the upcoming Blu/DVD release will find more love.

Definitely a 9 from me :)

I thought it was entertaining, even with the numerous clich? moments (which I believe were done on purpose).

A solid

9/10

for me, while the story wasn't as strong as i had hoped (reminded me too much of The Raid)

overall, it did have pretty good gory action :)

The movie sets out to achieve one thing and it does so beautifully. Especially appreciated that Karl Urban played it completely straight and there weren't any attempts of characterization (we got that with the rookie). Really, really loved this one, hope it does well with home media and they make more.

8/10

It had a lot of hype to live up to for SciFi fans who were brought up with the comics but unfortunately the poor script and mediocre acting by some characters let it down massively.The 3D version in my opinion lacked any real punch worth the special effect and extra capital, it could have been better spent on the film as a whole.

6/10

Just posted this in the watched recently thread, cleaned it up a bit as my grammar was (and still is) pretty atrocious...

I just watched Dredd for the second time.

I actually went to the theaters to see it on opening weekend. I was a HUGE original Judge Dredd comic book reader, absolutely loved it, and I really do think as rough around the edges as this movie was, and it is indeed pretty damn rough in some aspects, they did a pretty damn good job of sticking to the source material while trying to modernize it as well (keep in mind the source material is just over 30 years old now).

Making this a good move was honestly a pretty tall order for someone to pull off to begin with IMHO, and I think overall it was a great first attempt. I really think the sequel would be that much better based on this first decent start. Someone posted in that other thread apparently it has not even made it's money back yet after being released worldwide in the theater, so I am going to go ahead and pick up the BluRay myself in a show of support hoping that the additional sales from it will get a sequel made.

• Like 1

Good movie but the ending made no sense

Ma-ma said that that transmitter was hooked up to her heartbeat. Dredd said that the signal couldn't reach the detonation if she fell. Now, if the detonation couldn't read the transmitter, it would mean that her heartbeat stopped and blow the thing up.

The ending was a huge fail and kind of ruined the film.

The movie was so poorly done that in my mind as i remember the film it could have been a 25 minute television program.

Ma-ma said that that transmitter was hooked up to her heartbeat. Dredd said that the signal couldn't reach the detonation if she fell. Now, if the detonation couldn't read the transmitter, it would mean that her heartbeat stopped and blow the thing up.

I think it was obvious that Ma Ma was lying, just to be kept alive, about the detonation thing.

I inferred it from the scene, where Ma Ma falls onto the floor and Dredd says, YEAH

4/10

Dredd really was a terrible movie. The special effects were appalling, the direction was terrible, the acting was wooden, the plot was incoherent, the soundtrack was dire and it was simply boring. There were so many plot holes it was a joke (

the psychic couldn't tell when she was going to be kidnapped; the explosive trigger didn't have a fail-safe when it couldn't detect her heartbeat; the guy using the Judge's gun didn't know it would blow his hand off; the two Judges sent to the building simply waited there and did nothing; the psychic couldn't read minds through helmets yet she could read Dredd's mind at the beginning; she handed her badge back at the end yet it was already established she could read Dredd's mind, etc

). It's easily one of the worst movies I've watched recently.

It's really not surprising that it was a box office disaster. They went with a nobody writer, a nobody director and inexperienced producers, combined with second tier actors and third-rate special effects, all on a shoestring budget. It's a shame, as the trailer made the film look quite promising.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed it. Didn't have the campiness of the original but as noted, I'm happy Urban played it straight. I really don't get the negatives personally, the plot holes were minor and the action and special effects were good. My only qualm was the drug scenes really didn't work well without 3D reproduction.

4/10

Dredd really was a terrible movie. The special effects were appalling, the direction was terrible, the acting was wooden, the plot was incoherent, the soundtrack was dire and it was simply boring. There were so many plot holes it was a joke (

the psychic couldn't tell when she was going to be kidnapped; the explosive trigger didn't have a fail-safe when it couldn't detect her heartbeat; the guy using the Judge's gun didn't know it would blow his hand off; the two Judges sent to the building simply waited there and did nothing; the psychic couldn't read minds through helmets yet she could read Dredd's mind at the beginning; she handed her badge back at the end yet it was already established she could read Dredd's mind, etc

). It's easily one of the worst movies I've watched recently.

It's really not surprising that it was a box office disaster. They went with a nobody writer, a nobody director and inexperienced producers, combined with second tier actors and third-rate special effects, all on a shoestring budget. It's a shame, as the trailer made the film look quite promising.

She could read through helmets, it just made it a lot harder and she had to focus.

She could only read minds that she focused on. If she wasn't focusing enough, it didn't help as much.

The detenator might have to send a stop heartbeat signal, which from that distance, wouldn't be detected. That or it wasn't ever a real threat and just a bluff. That's how I took it. The device was activated, so it must have to send a signal of deactivation/loss heartbeat, or else it would have blown up a long time ago. But this wasn't a thinkers movie, just a fun action flick.

I thought this movie was actually pretty good for an action movie. Leagues beyond the former atrocity. I watched Dredd and then Taken 2, and I enjoyed Dredd so much more. You want a movie that didn't make sense, go watch Taken 2 :p Just some dumb bitch throwing grenades around a public city while Liam yells, Faster, there you go, faster! :p

I watched Dredd and then Taken 2, and I enjoyed Dredd so much more. You want a movie that didn't make sense, go watch Taken 2 :p

I don't mind mindless action films if they're enjoyable, like True Lies, Machete or Iron Sky. Taken 2 had a few stupid moments but overall it was easily a better film than Dredd in every conceivable way - plot, acting, direction, camera work, special effects, pacing, tension, etc. I can cope with plot holes if they film is enjoyable but Dredd really wasn't. In the end I found I was just laughing at the inconsistencies and plot holes.

• 1 month later...

I liked it. Yah there were some things that had me scratching my head but overall it was pretty good and MUCH better than the first one. The building was pretty cool and reminded me of Hong Kong.

The detonator isn't polling the transmitter, it's the transmitter who would send a signal and trigger the explosion.

At least that's the only way it makes sense.