• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,919 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:30

Just posted this in the watched recently thread, cleaned it up a bit as my grammar was (and still is) pretty atrocious...

I just watched Dredd for the second time.

I actually went to the theaters to see it on opening weekend. I was a HUGE original Judge Dredd comic book reader, absolutely loved it, and I really do think as rough around the edges as this movie was, and it is indeed pretty damn rough in some aspects, they did a pretty damn good job of sticking to the source material while trying to modernize it as well (keep in mind the source material is just over 30 years old now).

Making this a good move was honestly a pretty tall order for someone to pull off to begin with IMHO, and I think overall it was a great first attempt. I really think the sequel would be that much better based on this first decent start. Someone posted in that other thread apparently it has not even made it's money back yet after being released worldwide in the theater, so I am going to go ahead and pick up the BluRay myself in a show of support hoping that the additional sales from it will get a sequel made.

#17 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 15:35

Good movie but the ending made no sense

Spoiler

The ending was a huge fail and kind of ruined the film.

#18 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,975 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 31 December 2012 - 15:37

The movie was so poorly done that in my mind as i remember the film it could have been a 25 minute television program.

#19 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 15:42

Spoiler

Spoiler

#20 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,303 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 31 December 2012 - 16:10

4/10

Dredd really was a terrible movie. The special effects were appalling, the direction was terrible, the acting was wooden, the plot was incoherent, the soundtrack was dire and it was simply boring. There were so many plot holes it was a joke (
Spoiler
). It's easily one of the worst movies I've watched recently.

It's really not surprising that it was a box office disaster. They went with a nobody writer, a nobody director and inexperienced producers, combined with second tier actors and third-rate special effects, all on a shoestring budget. It's a shame, as the trailer made the film look quite promising.

#21 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,672 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 19:50

I enjoyed it. Didn't have the campiness of the original but as noted, I'm happy Urban played it straight. I really don't get the negatives personally, the plot holes were minor and the action and special effects were good. My only qualm was the drug scenes really didn't work well without 3D reproduction.

#22 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:28

4/10

Dredd really was a terrible movie. The special effects were appalling, the direction was terrible, the acting was wooden, the plot was incoherent, the soundtrack was dire and it was simply boring. There were so many plot holes it was a joke (

Spoiler
). It's easily one of the worst movies I've watched recently.

It's really not surprising that it was a box office disaster. They went with a nobody writer, a nobody director and inexperienced producers, combined with second tier actors and third-rate special effects, all on a shoestring budget. It's a shame, as the trailer made the film look quite promising.

She could read through helmets, it just made it a lot harder and she had to focus.
She could only read minds that she focused on. If she wasn't focusing enough, it didn't help as much.
The detenator might have to send a stop heartbeat signal, which from that distance, wouldn't be detected. That or it wasn't ever a real threat and just a bluff. That's how I took it. The device was activated, so it must have to send a signal of deactivation/loss heartbeat, or else it would have blown up a long time ago. But this wasn't a thinkers movie, just a fun action flick.
I thought this movie was actually pretty good for an action movie. Leagues beyond the former atrocity. I watched Dredd and then Taken 2, and I enjoyed Dredd so much more. You want a movie that didn't make sense, go watch Taken 2 :p Just some dumb bitch throwing grenades around a public city while Liam yells, Faster, there you go, faster! :p

#23 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,303 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:44

I watched Dredd and then Taken 2, and I enjoyed Dredd so much more. You want a movie that didn't make sense, go watch Taken 2 :p

I don't mind mindless action films if they're enjoyable, like True Lies, Machete or Iron Sky. Taken 2 had a few stupid moments but overall it was easily a better film than Dredd in every conceivable way - plot, acting, direction, camera work, special effects, pacing, tension, etc. I can cope with plot holes if they film is enjoyable but Dredd really wasn't. In the end I found I was just laughing at the inconsistencies and plot holes.

#24 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,701 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:58

I liked it. Yah there were some things that had me scratching my head but overall it was pretty good and MUCH better than the first one. The building was pretty cool and reminded me of Hong Kong.

#25 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,941 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 13:01

Spoiler

Spoiler

At least that's the only way it makes sense.

#26 margrave

margrave

Neowinian

• 642 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 13:18

I love it! I really want another one even though it might not be likely... still want.

#27 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,684 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 12 January 2014 - 14:26

Hello,

Ive seen this film 2-3 times....I think Karl Urban's performance is great. He had to act...behind a helmet!