• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:24

The Key point is be active. Giving up some kind of food will not make you healthy.

#17 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,025 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:07

^ Yes -- but active in what way

Most exercise gets monotonous and boring, quick.

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,976 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:15

^ Yes -- but active in what way

Most exercise gets monotonous and boring, quick.

If you make it so...

But I'd rather eat interesting food and do boring exercise.

#19 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,049 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:23

So can I eat extra bacon if I balance it out with extra fish and whole grains?

#20 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,787 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:26

I think carbohydrates have a better chance you killing you young than red meat.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:41

I think carbohydrates have a better chance you killing you young than red meat.

bah, the carb thing is just the latest in fashion diets, they are no more dangerous than anything else, if anything the no carb diets is more likely to kill you and the low carb ones more likely to leave you with a very unhealthy body. But I will enjoy it when all these low carb people start getting gall bladder stones from their diet. It is not pleasant.

Just eat normal food and don't follow any special diet and you'll be fine (an normal food is not the American style deep fried anything preferably with extra fat)

#22 +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,787 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:54

and the low carb ones more likely to leave you with a very unhealthy body.

How did you come to that conclusion?

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:00

well for one, low carb diets is the perfect diet to give you gall bladder stones.

#24 CJ33

CJ33

Neowinian

• 556 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:01

I'd rather eat bacon and die at 70, then live without it and die at 80, a wrinkled and dribbling wreck.

personally, i think its easy for you to say now, but when you get to that age, your thoughts will be different.

#25 +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,787 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:14

well for one, low carb diets is the perfect diet to give you gall bladder stones.

That Nice Boy I Married got a question from a friend of his today. She'd heard that a low carb diet increased the risk of gallstones, and wanted to know if that was true. It's an excellent question, and the answer is a little complicated.

First, it helps to know what your gallbladder does. Your gallbladder resides under your liver, and collects a fluid called bile, which the liver secretes. Bile is a digestive fluid that breaks down fat. The bile hangs out in your gallbladder until you eat fat. When your body senses fat in your intestine, the gallbladder contracts, squirting a concentrated dose of bile into the fatty food so you can digest and absorb it.

There are a number of causes of gall stones -- hard stone-like objects that develop inside the pouch-like gallbladder. According to Medline, they include anything that keeps the gallbladder from emptying completely. Since a very low fat diet does not stimulate the gallbladder to contract strongly, it is implicated. Medline also states that rapid weight loss from a very low calorie diet is also a cause of gallstones. (Long-time intravenous feeding can also cause gallstones, apparently also because it does not stimulate the gallbladder to contract.) These are not the only causes of gallstones, which appear not to be completely understood, but they are among them.

Low carbohydrate diets, however, derive a majority of their calories from fat (at least if you're doing it right,) and therefore stimulate strong gallbladder contractions. If you have no stones in your gallbladder, this is great, may well be preventive. But if you already have gallstones -- and remember, most of us have spent years trying to lose weight through fat restriction before we go low carb -- eating a high fat meal can cause the gallbladder to squeeze down on them, causing pain. If you have a stone clogging the bile duct (the tube the bile comes through), you're going to be in great pain indeed.

Did the low carb diet cause the gallstones? No, it did not. Did it stimulate a gall bladder attack? Yes, it did. But the chances are excellent the stones were there to begin with.

http://holdthetoast....ause-gallstones

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:21

Basically, we don't know, but either way you will probably get gall stones, gall stone attacks and bigger gall stones from low carb.

#27 +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,787 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:28

Basically, we don't know, but either way you will probably get gall stones, gall stone attacks and bigger gall stones from low carb.

I'll let ya know if I get them, 9 months so far so good.

#28 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:29

I'm thinking that you people over think things. Just exercise and eat appropriately you'll be fine.

#29 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,042 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:56

Ahh bull****. I'm pretty sure the benefits of eating red meat far outweigh the bad. Steak is delicious, I'm going to keep eating it as humans have done forever.

#30 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:05

F*** it...

YOLOC

You only live once culinary.

I've stopped worrying too much about all those crazy new studies.
It might be true, but look at my grandma.
She still lives to the risk seems low enough for me to take.

The benefits of eating (generally) what I want, when and how often, the easier more enjoyable and less restrictive lifestyle gives me much more than an extra of supposedly 4-5 years.

I very much doubt the overall effect of that in combination with all the other bad things anyways.
I mean, telling by what I've read in the past couple of weeks alone I should have never even reached my age. :laugh:

So unhealthy + unhealthy != unhealthy*2 but more like unhealthy*1.2 or something at best.

Really, I stopped worrying about the fine print, I know what's bad and dangerous generally speaking, like raw meat, so I care about hygiene in kitchen a lot, I don't eat WAY too fat loaded, but then again I do put more oil in the pan if I feel like it knowing the result (depending on the dish) will taste better.
I try to eat a sensible (but probably still less than recommended :laugh:) amount of the typical healthy stuff and so on...

tl;dr: Eat what your body tells you to eat.
It's more fun, your body knows what it's talking about (unless you're obese and let yourself go too much (or the counterpart to obesity)) and by all means, it's less unhealthy than you think.
For what it's worth I think worrying about all this crap is more dangerous to sanity and health than your weekly medium steak etc etc...

Glassed Silver:mac