(official) Gmail app doesn't show notification counter?

Have got a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 Tablet running Android 4.0.3 (no update here yet) and I downloaded the (official v 4.2.1) GMail app for my email because I didn't like the stock client. However, the GMail app doesn't show number notifications on the icon while the stock email client does, is this by design, or am I missing something?

Facebook and one or two games doesn't either although they do show notifications in the notification (menu) center.

It seems odd that you don't get the numbers on the icons by default on the home screen?

welcome to Android. You would have to install a custom launcher application to get icon notifications like that.

Ya I use Nova Launcher with the TeslaUnread plugin to get the little numbers for notifications.

Have got a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 Tablet running Android 4.0.3 (no update here yet) and I downloaded the (official v 4.2.1) GMail app for my email because I didn't like the stock client. However, the GMail app doesn't show number notifications on the icon while the stock email client does, is this by design, or am I missing something?

Facebook and one or two games doesn't either although they do show notifications in the notification (menu) center.

It seems odd that you don't get the numbers on the icons by default on the home screen?

Sadly the official client has never supported that feature, or at least not that i have ever seen in the years of Android usage i have had. only third party apps have supported this feature.

Ya I use Nova Launcher with the TeslaUnread plugin to get the little numbers for notifications.

Yep I installed those, thanks :)

Yep I installed those, thanks :)

No problem.