Good uTorrent alternative?

Question

uTorrent hasn't respected my set upload speed limit for well over 6 months, no matter how much I try to fix it, so I don't see the bug being fixed.

Can you suggest a good alternative?

Have you tried the alphas and betas of uTorrent? They're constantly being worked on.

Not sure what BitTorrent is like these days, and there was a torrent client listed here in Software lately.

It respects it as well as any other client.. you just need to remember that it only regulates the upload speed of the torrents themselves, it however does not count the normal peer traffic that isn't part of the actual upload..

I've found setting the speed to around 80% of what speed you actually want used works, but that will varry depending on how many active torrents/connections you have.

It respects it as well as any other client.. you just need to remember that it only regulates the upload speed of the torrents themselves, it however does not count the normal peer traffic that isn't part of the actual upload..

I've found setting the speed to around 80% of what speed you actually want used works, but that will varry depending on how many active torrents/connections you have.

uTorrent is currently, as we speak, uploading at 980 KB/s - I've set a hard limit of 32 KB/s -_- And do not say I have a setting wrong, I've been working on fixing this for months. It's a bug. I know uTorrent's settings inside and out.

Weird.. I'm running 2.2.1, ( just downgraded from the current 3.3 beta because of a trackers rules ) and neither of them have had issues.. respecting my limits..

Weird.. I'm running 2.2.1, ( just downgraded from the current 3.3 beta because of a trackers rules ) and neither of them have had issues.. respecting my limits..

Good for you, mate :)

Now back to the topic...

I'll try those suggestions, guys. Thanks! :)

qbitorrent is the best alternative I've found: http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/

opensource and crossplatform too. I switched from utorrent to this a while back.

qBitTorrent works really well. I also recommend Deluge, its a lil weird, but its got a unique setup where you can run its daemon on a separate system and your client connects to it, so it feels like its running natively. Its handy if you have a media server and want to leave that system on 24/7 doing things. QB for local system usage for sure, Deluge for the other situation.

"uTorrent is currently, as we speak, uploading at 980 KB/s - I've set a hard limit of 32 KB/s"

And yet you have failed to to show the simple graph showing this to us.. Asked for multiple times, showed you mine where it clearly shows my limit, and then what I was uploading. So where is this graph showing your issue.

Have you set to limit overheard, have you set to limit local peer bandwidth? Lets see the graph where you say you have it set to 32k and its uploading at 980 - and then where is it sending that data too?? Simple enough to look on your connected peers to see where all the data is going.

Thought you were going to use 3rd party to limit your speed? Guess that didn't work either?? So if 3rd party didn't work either, what is wrong with your system? Highly doubt some other torrent client is going to work if 3rd party limiting doesn't work, nor does utorrent.

• Like 1

"uTorrent is currently, as we speak, uploading at 980 KB/s - I've set a hard limit of 32 KB/s"

And yet you have failed to to show the simple graph showing this to us.. Asked for multiple times, showed you mine where it clearly shows my limit, and then what I was uploading. So where is this graph showing your issue.

Have you set to limit overheard, have you set to limit local peer bandwidth? Lets see the graph where you say you have it set to 32k and its uploading at 980 - and then where is it sending that data too?? Simple enough to look on your connected peers to see where all the data is going.

Thought you were going to use 3rd party to limit your speed? Guess that didn't work either?? So if 3rd party didn't work either, what is wrong with your system? Highly doubt some other torrent client is going to work if 3rd party limiting doesn't work, nor does utorrent.

Why do you think I care if you think I'm lying?

Every time I post in this part of the forum, you always come with your wise-crack replies. It winds me up. Stop thinking you're better than everyone else!

Just asking to see some info so I can help you dude.. I don't think your lying -- what I think is your not understanding what your seeing or don't have a setting right.

And yet again when asked for simple details of your issue so we can all be on the same page to help you - still no details of the actual issue... Just you saying stuff.

So for example when its uploading at 30x what you set the limit too -- where is all that bandwidth going? 1 client, 10 clients?? How many upload slots do you have per torrent? Does this happen when your doing just 1 torrent? Do you have multiple seeds going on in the background? Or does it happen only when your working like 10 active torrents?

Details Details Details -- can not help you with your limited statements of -- its not working. Gosh forbid you missed a setting, maybe you don't have local peer bandwidth limited, simple look on the connected peers would show us that maybe its sending to what it thinks is local peer?? Maybe from looking at the graph all your bandwidth is taken up in overhead, and your not limiting it?

Don't know until can see this info that asking for! You say you have been troubleshooting it for MONTHS!! Well clearly your overlooking something.

Was the 3rd party able to limit?? If not then why do you think some other torrent client is going to be able too.. Maybe there some other issue with your machine?? For all we know your infected with something and that is what is uploading, and your seeing the upload somewhere else and not in the utorrent client?? Details!!

<snip> Well clearly your overlooking something.

Or, it's a bug that affects some users.

Leave it.

I'm now trying qBittorrent.

And if its a bug - have you reported the details to them so they can work on it? Again these details come into play when you report it.

If it was a "bug" you would think there would be some info about it? I find nothing recent when searching for this topic, other then your threads here on neowin about it.

And older threads -- where guess what, same thing they ask for DETAILS on the problem so that they can help work it out for the poster.

uTorrent is currently, as we speak, uploading at 980 KB/s - I've set a hard limit of 32 KB/s -_- And do not say I have a setting wrong, I've been working on fixing this for months. It's a bug. I know uTorrent's settings inside and out.

Have you tried setting it from the bottom right by right clicking etc. does it show the limit? theres around 4 settings for upload, although if you're uploading at 1mbs you must have a lot of leechers?

Big list of ?Torrent alternatives.

I use transmission myself and I like it, there is a Windows port apparently too, so that might be worth a shot. I've used Deluge on Windows in the past and that's pretty good too. Vuze is too bloated for my liking (although I haven't used it for a few years so it might have improved).

If it's a bug it should be gone if you cleaned every trace of uTorrent and reinstalled.

personally I only run utorrent for quick downloads on my laptop, and I'm looking for an alternative not because of issues but because of the horrible new ad interface. for my actual downloads I run Azureus/Vuze since it offers more control and extension I use for sorting and managing.

You can go into the advanced options and disable the ad banner, shouldn't be there to begin with but yeah.

'but because of the horrible new ad interface."

You can disable all the ad stuff, pretty easy...

Turn all these settings to false:

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled/left_rail_offer

gui.show_plus_upsell

offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled/sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

bt.enable_pulse

gui.show_notorrents_node

offers.content_offer_autoexec

Deluge is best alternative.

Never heard of this bug and not getting into the argument.

that's the one that insists on using your computers locale setting for the language instead of the language setting or a language setting of it's own, and changing it's is a total PITA, isn't it... no thanks.

that's the one that insists on using your computers locale setting for the language instead of the language setting or a language setting of it's own, and changing it's is a total PITA, isn't it... no thanks.

Out of curiousity, why would you want to run it in a different language than the one used by your OS?

Out of curiousity, why would you want to run it in a different language than the one used by your OS?

My OS is English, my locale settings are Nrowegian, cause you know, I'm in Norway, and American and British, measure thing in weird ways and have crazy punctuation on numbers and stuff.

Deluge sets the language based on the type of number setting you use, NOT the language setting, hence why I complained it used the locale setting and NOT the language setting.