Look at how great a Google smartwatch could be

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,721 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:36

With wearable tech a bit of a buzzphrase right now and talk of a possible Apple/Intel smartwatch doing the rounds, this concept for what a Google watch might look like is right on cue.
Using Google’s latest design language, this ‘Google Time’ concept by Adrian Maciburko is a nice idea for a super-simple take on the kinds of features such a device might have, including voice and touch interfaces.
What strikes me though, is how a smartwatch from Google would be a perfect fit for working with Google Now. A Google Now-equipped watch would be in sync with your Google account, notifying you about upcoming meetings, flight delays, birthdays and more just as Google Now does on recent versions of Android. What do you say, Larry? Make it happen!

Posted Image

See more at the source:
http://thenextweb.co...pt/?fromcat=all

#2 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,514 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:48

all fine and dandy until they force you to start watching ads before displaying the time/weather/search functions.

#3 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,676 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:35

I wish they would work with a lcd manufacturer to try and create a circular screen as square/rectangle will get caught on objects and may dig in your wrist when bending your hand back. Sony already has the Sony smartwatch which was released in April:

Posted Image

#4 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,074 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:44

Watches seem kind of redundant in this age of smartphones, no matter how cool they look.

#5 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,651 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:51

Watches seem kind of redundant in this age of smartphones, no matter how cool they look.

Exactly. I haven't worn a watch in many years. I didn't think anyone really did anymore.
I figured they were no longer the fashion trend, and obsolete since everyone is always staring at their cellphones.

Also... the images posted here would be pretty much the same thing if Apple had of added a strap on to the little touch screen Shuffle device.
They showed time/date, played music/radio, all sorts of features.

#6 ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

• 147 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:01

Unless smart watches cost $20 or less and if they can join up with my cellphone's dataplan, I see absolutely no logical function for petty devices like this.

We both know these aren't going to be cheap, do you really need a half-assed smart device for (what I'm guessing) the price of a cheap smartphone?

What is Google's and these corporation's demographic? Seriously...

#7 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,527 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:05

Yup, my Accurist tells me the time and the date, dunno what else I would need from a watch
(Unless it was a Breitling) :p

#8 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,676 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:12

smart watches could actually have some good functions, mp3 player, just plug in your headphones, you can see the time, date, temperature, weather forecast, have meetings/calendar notifications popup on your screen and beep such as birthdays, mothers day etc. If they had a circular screen and the battery life was 2 months and they cost under £35 i'd contemplate buying one. I haven't used a watch in years but i miss mine, it is annoying having to get your phone out of your pocket, especially if your jean pockets are full. Sometimes your battery dies and you don't know the time too.

#9 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,518 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:20

Call me old school but i will never wear a watch like this.

Here's some real watches ...

http://www.mydesigne...ch-brands/seiko

#10 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:03

I wear a watch every day. I like them.

Fossil only though. These smart watches remind me of those ****** kids who had calculator watches in school. They look stupid, the nerd thinks it's cool, but they won't take off and will end up being cheap junk in a few years.

#11 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,651 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:04

smart watches could actually have some good functions, mp3 player, just plug in your headphones, you can see the time, date, temperature, weather forecast, have meetings/calendar notifications popup on your screen and beep such as birthdays, mothers day etc. If they had a circular screen and the battery life was 2 months and they cost under £35 i'd contemplate buying one. I haven't used a watch in years but i miss mine, it is annoying having to get your phone out of your pocket, especially if your jean pockets are full. Sometimes your battery dies and you don't know the time too.

All cellphones are already mp3 players, plus like I already mentioned, you could throw a strap on a touchscreen Apple Shuffle and you'd have every feature you mentioned.
Also, when you mention cellphones dying, if all those features were on a smart watch, there wouldn't be much for battery life on that either.

#12 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:15

I too wear a watch every day. I would never wear a smart watch though. 100% mechanical no digital.

#13 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,023 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:15

This. I don't particularly care for digital watches either.

#14 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:17

all fine and dandy until they force you to start watching ads before displaying the time/weather/search functions.

Thats never happened, Never will happen, there is no logical progression for ads to ever become that intrusive unless the user is paid to watch ads.

#15 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,651 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:35

I kinda like the looks of this one...
Seiko Sportura men’s titanium chronograph watch
I guess if I had it I'd wear it, but I wouldn't make a special effort to get one.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!