Photo

Windows Phone 7.8-Time for Microsoft to kill it off.

windows phone

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:30

It's time for Microsoft to kill Windows Phone 7.8. If they're going to take this long to do anything or say anything about it, than it's a lost cause. Kill it off, and focus 100% on Windows Phone 8.

For many, they have either A) Upgraded to WP8, or B) Moved to a new platform. Eitherway, this project has to be the worst I've seen come from Redmond in a very long time. There's nothing to it other than a few trinkets heard here and there. No project updates, no release dates, and no feature sets other than the new Start Screen. It's vapoureware plain and simple.

There's simply no reason this couldn't have been delivered to customers shortly after WP8 devices went on sale.

-Dot.

#2 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:33

Killing it off wouldn't be a good idea, once people see a pattern of killing support, they simply wont buy the devices, not for the prices they're asking.

They've dropped the ball on a lot of things lately, hopefully they get their act together soon.

#3 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:36

Windows Phone 8 won't work on hardware in the $100-$150 range, Windows Phone 7.8 will, and is a better option than Android hardware at the same price point.

#4 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:38

I for one surely want 7.8 on my Lumia 800. Will breathe few more months of life in it till the next upgrade. They did however played cruelty card on the WP7.x users and consumers.

#5 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:46

I for one surely want 7.8 on my Lumia 800. Will breathe few more months of life in it till the next upgrade. They did however played cruelty card on the WP7.x users and consumers.

I want 7.8 on my Titan II too, but I get my upgrade the end of the month. 7.8 is wasted on this Windows Phone user at this point. I can't help but think who else it's wasted on by this point. All my friends who owned Windows Phones all have WP8 devices now, so it's wasted on them too.

#6 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:52

Over reaction much?

#7 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:55

Over reaction much?

I dunno. You think? (Honest question) Personally, I think by this point it's a lost cause, with many already having got their upgrade, or will be getting it soon. Better for Microsoft just to focus on WP8, and getting updates for that out the door on time.

#8 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:57

But you are thinking of naught but yourself..

Microsoft aren't making it just for people like us with the ability to upgrade our phones at a whim, they are doing it for people who have the device and are stuck with it, for people who want a lower end/price device and end up with WP7.x (See the Indian market).

So it's a no go for some people, that doesn't make it useless in totalis.

EDIT::
This also means you haven't been coming up to speed with the updates on WP8. Portico is out the door already. It's not being held up for development reasons, they are holding off on it for third party reasons. Not much Microsoft can do about that :\

Still beyond ****ed off that I am waiting for an update that people in the US have, but such is life >.>

Edited by articuno1au, 07 January 2013 - 03:59.

#9 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:01

It seemed I would never reach a point of agreeing with you Dot, but I've reached that point :).

The way Microsoft handled the Windows Phone 7 end of life is no less than a disappointing fiasco. WP7.8 should have launched alongside Windows Phone 8. What it brings to the table is so small I honestly feel its only true intention was to trick existing WP7 users into thinking they had WP8. Allowing the average consumer to not feel burned when they are seeing all of the Windows Phone 8 adverts in the media.

All of that is lost now since we're many many months past WP8 officially going on sale and still lack a definitive date or road map for this update.

I agree with the assertion that many have probably already upgraded or jumped ship who care about this update. I have already moved to Android for the first time and so have many of my friends, or they are planning to.

Since it brings essentially nothing, but a new Start Screen to WP7 I can't really see the point for the excessive delays, honestly.

#10 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:02

I won't be getting a wp8 phone til July. What about me? One of my coworkers loves his 900 in August and is excited for 7.8, what about him? Just because you don't see a use for it doesn't mean a use doesn't exist.

#11 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:11

I dunno. You think?

Just a little bit, yeah. And by "little bit", I mean ****ing huge :rofl:

Personally, I've still got 6 months left before I'm entitled to a free upgrade, and I'm pretty sure there are a **** load of people that got their phone after I did. It is still being sold to this day, right? (lumia 800).

Do I wish they would hurry the **** up? Sure.

Should they all go die in a fire? Probably not.

#12 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:22

Should they all go die in a fire? Probably not.

Never said they should die in a fire, but judging by the silence surrounding this update, something sure happened to them. Lol.

I won't be getting a wp8 phone til July. What about me? One of my coworkers loves his 900 in August and is excited for 7.8, what about him? Just because you don't see a use for it doesn't mean a use doesn't exist.

So, in your case, you'd have 7.8 for all of a few months before getting your upgrade. Your coworker actually has a case, but sounds as if he is in a tiny minority among WP users.

#13 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:33

Microsoft have screwed over Windows Phone 7.x uses that's for sure.
Should they twist the knife a little more and "kill off" 7.8?

NO.

I'm perfectly happy with my Lumia 700 and I have no plans on changing it any time soon. I'm looking forward to 7.8.

#14 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:59

Whether MS wants to roll out 7.8 or not, it still ultimately has to go through the carriers. Since carriers like for people to get new phones with service contracts attached, keeping WP7 alive is not in their best interest. So they may have collectively decided to either put insufficient resources toward 7.8 or to kill it altogether.

#15 jorel009

jorel009

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:00

i am soo ****ed off at ms over the 7.x fiasco, not only does my lumia 900 not get wp8, but 7.8 is a weak update that does not even bring ****ing background voip. the ff camera on my 900 is useless with out voip. ill use my 900 for a few more months, but i have already decided to switch over to android, **** this bull****. at least with android i can load a custom rom and play mkv's nativley.