Photo

MSFT: 60 million Win8 licenses sold to date.

microsoft windows 8 sales

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,726 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:09

Tammi Reller, Chief Financial and Chief Marketing Officer for Windows, has shared the Microsoft has sold 60 million Windows 8 licenses to date, and the includes to OEMs, and retail upgrades. She further shared that Windows 8 sales are roughly in line with Windows 7.

Microsoft announced at the end of November that they had sold 40 million, and that makes 20 million new licenses sold in just over a month. Whether this includes the recently announced deal with the U.S. DoD is unknown.

Via ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com...ate-7000009549/

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,070 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:43

Not to take away from this, but I wonder how many 7 licenses were sold during the period 8 has been out. As some of these licenses are OEM, I wonder how many people have replaced 8 with 7.

#3 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 811 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:49

Not to take away from this, but I wonder how many 7 licenses were sold during the period 8 has been out. As some of these licenses are OEM, I wonder how many people have replaced 8 with 7.

I'd love to know this too

#4 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

• 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:14

Must be nice to have a monopoly.

#5 brn

brn

Neowinian

• 71 posts
  • Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:16

How many returns or downgrade requests?

#6 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,364 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:27

It's nice that the above comments are all the haters have to resort to now :)

#7 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,354 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:28

40 million sales: But but...most of those can be sitting on shelves or warehouses

........OEMS purchase another 20 mill licenses to meet demand

60 million sales: but but.....(insert desperate argument here)

I love the taste of tears. SO delicious.

In fact, demand was so high, there were shortages and supply problems for hardware. Microsoft could have sold a boatload more of Licenses

Straight from the horses mouth

For example, NPD Group said in late November that the new OS had gotten off to a "slow start" among consumers.
Asked about this, Reller said that Windows 8 has been meeting Microsoft's sales expectations all along, and that the high level of demand specifically for touch devices with the new OS has "surprised a lot of people."
Unfortunately, that caused an initial shortage of such devices. "Frankly, the supply was too short," she said at the event which was held at the CES show in Las Vegas and where she answered questions from a JP Morgan analyst.
There were other distribution issues. "There was some misalignment between where products were distributed and where the demand was," she said.
Microsoft made adjustments, and is still making them, she said. Many Windows 8 tablets running x86 chips are just starting to hit the market, while some tablets running Windows RT -- the Windows 8 version fo ARM chips -- didn't get the type of distribution "that would have been ideal," she said.

WAR MICROSOFT

#8 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,854 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:29

Mark me down for .000000033% of them!

#9 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,563 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:36

Must be nice to have a monopoly.

monopoly - exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

Make a product that everyone wants to use, not one that is forced on you, = monoploy..? How is it Microsoft's fault the competition sucks (linux) and doesn't care to cater to the needs of corporate (apple) ?

Please explain..

#10 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,726 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:38

It's funny. No one ever asked these questions when Windows 7 was selling.

monopoly - exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

Make a product that everyone wants to use, not one that is forced on you, = monoploy..? How is it Microsoft's fault the competition sucks (linux) and doesn't care to cater to the needs of corporate (apple) ?

Please explain..

But they have a monopoly on Windows. They forced the Start Screen on users. Ergo, Monopoly. Lol.

#TrollLogic

#11 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,836 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:43

Its pretty easy to sell when EVERY SINGLE NEW computer/tablet/notebook has a license. Doesn't mean its popular by any means, just forced on you.

No one asked these question when 7 was out because it was so much better than the previous version, people wanted it without question.

#12 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,726 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:46

Its pretty easy to sell when EVERY SINGLE NEW computer/tablet/notebook has a license. Doesn't mean its popular by any means, just forced on you.

No one asked these question when 7 was out because it was so much better than the previous version, people wanted it without question.

So, it was ok then, but not now? Right.

If you ask me, people are pretty accepting of 8, too.

#13 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

• 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:50

If you ask me, people are pretty accepting of 8, too.

I have to disagree with you. Every windows 8 thread I've read has had a 50/50 spit.
I wouldn't call that pretty accepting

#14 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,726 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:55

I have to disagree with you. Every windows 8 thread I've read has had a 50/50 spit.
I wouldn't call that pretty accepting

I'm not talking about these threads. I'm talking about consumers. If they're hoping around the store like this, seems they're exploring what the OS has to offer. More so than any of the trolls online have.

#15 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,070 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:00

It's nice that the above comments are all the haters have to resort to now :)

So because I am wondering how 7 did during the time 8 has been out I am a hater. It's funny how the "Appologists" will find any post no praising windows 8 a hate post.

I am simply curious as to how 8 has affected 7.