Photo

MSFT: 60 million Win8 licenses sold to date.

microsoft windows 8 sales

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,065 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:16

To a lot of people sell = popularity.

With windows 7, it was no question to its popularity, so no one questioned it sells numbers.

But windows 8 isn't as popular as windows 7.
So Microsoft's sells numbers showing it sold 60 million are under question.
For example;
How many were sold directly to customers
How many were sold to oems
How many did Ballmer himself buy? (Joking of course)

These are questions people want to know, because they paint a more actuate picture of windows 8 popularity from Microsoft own mouth.

To me, they have no reason to lie. If they've been lying all this time, wouldn't someone have caught them by now?

#32 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,862 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:21

Not to take away from this, but I wonder how many 7 licenses were sold during the period 8 has been out. As some of these licenses are OEM, I wonder how many people have replaced 8 with 7.

Must be terrible to have TWO products selling well I guess ;)

#33 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,497 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 January 2013 - 20:30

To a lot of people sell = popularity.

With windows 7, it was no question to its popularity, so no one questioned it sells numbers.

But windows 8 isn't as popular as windows 7.
So Microsoft's sells numbers showing it sold 60 million are under question.
For example;
How many were sold directly to customers
How many were sold to oems
How many did Ballmer himself buy? (Joking of course)

These are questions people want to know, because they paint a more actuate picture of windows 8 popularity from Microsoft own mouth.

Microsoft direct sales to consumers are a tiny fraction of their overall sales, that was true for 7 and is true for 8. It is almost a given that majority are OEM sales.

Do you also regularly question Apple, Google's claims too? When Apple announces XXmillion sales over the weekend, how many were sold to retailers and phone companies? When Google claims XX activations of Android per day - nobody points out that majority of them are cheapo < $200 phones that barely run Android 2.3. I have seen this first hand in India where for every Galaxy S3 or Note I saw a number of Galaxy Ace and r Galaxy Y etc. These phones and their users don't make any money to GOOG but somehow they reflect Google's success.

#34 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:11

I believe Microsoft and their sales figures but except for me I don't know a single person who has Windows 8. I must hang out with the wrong crowd.

#35 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 804 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:10

Yes i got the license for 15$ but iv tested and didnt like. Iv also know many friends and relatives that bought new computers and dont like Windows8 and installed windows7 that had from previous machines.

Its just bad. Once again they do a Beta, then they do a real thing, Millenium, Vista and now Windows8.

#36 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,473 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:30

Good for them. I'm still not buying it.

#37 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,856 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:35

When Google claims XX activations of Android per day - nobody points out that majority of them are cheapo < $200 phones that barely run Android 2.3. I have seen this first hand in India where for every Galaxy S3 or Note I saw a number of Galaxy Ace and r Galaxy Y etc.

Actually there's always someone that brings that up :D but I don't see how that matters. X activations means exactly that, no one's arguing about what device models are being bought.

These phones and their users don't make any money to GOOG but somehow they reflect Google's success.

Considering Google doesn't get any kind of cut from the price of the handset I don't think they care that much if most people are buying mid-low end devices. That people would be buying mid-low end devices anyway, Android or not.
Google is making exactly the same money no matter if you buy a Galaxy SIII or a Galaxy Y. OEMs pay for the license to bundle the Google services, and both high end and low end phones ship with those.

#38 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,497 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:06

Considering Google doesn't get any kind of cut from the price of the handset I don't think they care that much if most people are buying mid-low end devices. That people would be buying mid-low end devices anyway, Android or not.
Google is making exactly the same money no matter if you buy a Galaxy SIII or a Galaxy Y. OEMs pay for the license to bundle the Google services, and both high end and low end phones ship with those.

I am pretty sure Google counts on Play revenue for making more money but it doesn't get much from low end phones.

#39 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 2,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:23

You know when their management team above yours make a poor decision, and then try to justify it and turn it around with silly stats, and then the people below you, who the decision actually affects, start to get on board?

You know that frustration and feeling of anger at the people who follow blindly, not realising that their life has become harder because of stupid decisions?

Thats what I feel when I see appreciation of Windows 8.

We should all be asking MS why they decided to push a poor touch UI (when compared to their own Win Phone UI) onto desktop users that didn't actually need it. Windows is a great OS and shouldn't need third part software to make it usable. MS are huge and employ the best of the best. Im sorry but they should have done much better with such a big release.

#40 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,856 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:33

I am pretty sure Google counts on Play revenue for making more money but it doesn't get much from low end phones.

Probably not much (although other than high-end games you can still run most apps on those) but still more than they would be making if those had bought a phone with a different OS, obviously.

And then all those users increase the user base of Google's services, which is (I think) the major point of Android.

#41 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:12

http://www.gartner.c....jsp?id=2194017

Worldwide PC shipments totaled 87.5 million units in the third quarter of 2012, a decline of 8.3 percent compared with the third quarter of 2011, according to preliminary results by Gartner, Inc.

I assume some of those shipped with Windows 8.

#42 Deviate_X

Deviate_X

Neowinian

• 482 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 21:07

No one asked these question when 7 was out because it was so much better than the previous version, people wanted it without question.

Tell that to all the ~40% of users clinging on to Windows XP
(http://en.wikipedia....erating_systems)

#43 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,257 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 21:14

Tell that to all the ~40% of users clinging on to Windows XP
(http://en.wikipedia....erating_systems)

At least Win8 managed to beat Linux.

#44 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 13 January 2013 - 21:18

At least Win8 managed to beat Linux.

I think Win8 is beating Linux and Mac OS users now.

#45 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,257 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 21:36

40 million sales: But but...most of those can be sitting on shelves or warehouses

........OEMS purchase another 20 mill licenses to meet demand

60 million sales: but but.....(insert desperate argument here)

I love the taste of tears. SO delicious.

In fact, demand was so high, there were shortages and supply problems for hardware. Microsoft could have sold a boatload more of Licenses

Straight from the horses mouth

WAR MICROSOFT

Over-enthusiasm? War MS?
Is your life depending on this thing/subject or something? Win 8 is Win 7 with a few nagging screens. No need to risk cardiovascular accidents over it.

WAR OUTDOORS

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!