Help needed with a website design

Question

Hiya,

I know little about web design but have offered to put up a one page site for my brother. He sent me this image as a concept.

The problem I am trying to get my head around is how to do the borders of the content. He would like the flower design to be repeated so no matter how wide the browser is, the flower pattern can be seen. If the border between the content and the background was a straight line then it would be simple case of repeating a single flower. However, given that the border is made up of halved flowers, I cant figure out how to do it without either making each side of the content a massive image or having the border overlap the background images and ruin the pattern.

I hope that makes some kind of sense, it's difficult to explain.

eYxWp.jpg

post-63802-0-83813100-1357749055.jpg

22 answers to this question

http://jsfiddle.net/bFdfh/

image-border can't be used in IE i don't think.

If the content width is always the same just create a tiled background image.

I made a dynamic width version :p though it requires IE9.js for IE8 and below >.> (could be resolved when I make additional elements instead of using :before&:after)

• Like 2

http://jsfiddle.net/bFdfh/

I made a dynamic width version :p though it requires IE9.js for IE8 and below >.> (could be resolved when I make additional elements instead of using :before&:after)

yeah this is definitely better for responsive pages, i'd go with the additional elements.

(ps OP i've deleted the page in my original post you can see it here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33447305/test.htm)

cheers for the replies everyone, I appreciate them. I'm not sure if my explanation wasn't clear enough, or if I misunderstand the answers. I was hoping to have the flower pattern to repeat itself across the page so that no matter how wide the brower is, the flowers go from the content to the edge of the browser window. Is the best way to do this to just use Seahorepip's example and just make the background image a lot wider, for example adding 6 flowers to it width ways? Is that considered good web practice, or is a background image that size not very good?

dxkMf.jpg

That is part of my problem though, if I tile the image like that then I don't get the border running down the side of the content.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. The problem with that is that if you look closely at the border in the first post, it joins the flowers together so is different to the other flowers. I know I'm being fussy, I just wondered how it would be done.

Yea, I was hoping it might be possible to get them to join at the border. Oh well, cheers for your help, it's taught me something new :)

It can be done it's just not as straight forward as these examples.

Do you know where I can find an online tutorial for it, or if the method has a name that I should google?

gimme 10sec I'll add a new version with your request ^^

having them join at the border can be done using overflow and background position hehe.