Longhorn's Kernal Improvements

Ian Griffiths posted to Longhorn user group detailing some of the kernel improvements that we can be expecting from Longhorn. Longhorn will feature CPU time reservation, and disk access scheduling. These changes are being added mainly for the benefit of the media services. MS wants movies and other media to play without interruptions. Additionally, GotDotNet is featuring a diagram showing how Longhorn is built.

Source: OS News

Diagram: Longhorn Architecture

Longhorn is definately going to be a very interesting release. I have a feeling that this is the windows we have all (both developers and end users) have been waiting to see for a long time. It's OS X and then some.

I would say we dont nknow enough yet.. there is still 2 more years of production to go yet.. everything can change..

That's not true. They already know what they are going to do. Now it's just time to figure out how to get it done and then do it. The coding/testing is what takes up the most time. :laugh: I wonder how long it's gonna take to compile this baby.

I wonder how long it's gonna take to compile this baby.   

It takes me one week to compile a full linux environnement with libraries and so on a rather old machine.

But I doubt MS compiles code with a very old machine. Probably using a lovely compile farm of a few hundred machines or a cluster...

I wonder how long it's gonna take to compile this baby.? ?

It takes me one week to compile a full linux environnement with libraries and so on a rather old machine.

But I doubt MS compiles code with a very old machine. Probably using a lovely compile farm of a few hundred machines or a cluster...

@doug Calm down and stop being a post-count ######.

@doug Calm down and stop being a post-count ######.

Easy there, killer. We're talking about a core of the world's soon-to-be most prominent operating system, so it should be spelled right.

Although, thanks for giving me this chance to reply and have yet another post courtesy of system32! :D

They compile Windows Daily, although it's not fair to judge now because the automated system isn't active (the system is still split up into 4 main labs and 8 mini labs - i think). Also, as for there is so much room to change etc. I don't think so and I think its good that there isn't. Some of the best programs (OSX) included are good because you go through a structured process - what do i want, whats the structure, whats the format, whats the content - then you build it, test it, fix it. By moving through this structure (no different than an essay :() you end up with a much better finished product.