Photo

Best tablet for gaming around the $200 price point?

android tablet gaming nexus 7 kindle fire etc

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 January 2013 - 23:38

Just as a side note, you'll want a Bluetooth gamepad of some sort. I was having a bitch of a time with some of the games without one.

#17 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:22

Hmmm, interesting, never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I know the Nexus 7 (nor the Kindle Fire HD) support mini/micro-SD expansion slots etc for memory, but a friend of mine was telling me you can hook up some dongle adapter or something to allow a USB stick to be used for storage or whatever. Anyone have any experience with this, or know what he was referring to? Since he never finished telling me, I don't know what he was talking about lol

#18 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:32

No experience with it, but the internet claims to http://www.androidau...other-androids/

#19 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:35

if you want to use a controller, I can tell you from experience that the ps3 controller works great with the help of this android app https://play.google....250cm9sbGVyIl0.

it's even got special setting you can set up so you can use the controller with games that only do touch controls

edit: and for usb you just need one of these cables (if you go with the Nexus 7) (doesn't need to be that exact one either as long as it's micro usb male to usb female) http://www.amazon.co...b+to+female+usb and you'll need to be rooted and use this app https://play.google....Glja21vdW50Il0. this will allow you to mount usb drives

#20 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:36

Also, the OTG adapter is very useful - if you want to use other USB devices, like Xbox controller, keyboard, or mouse. It will work out of the box (with no root).

#21 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:38

The only downside to the Nexus 7 that I can see is the small HD size. I have a kindle fire hd and love it, you can always use websites to get apk's that amazon doesn't offer.

#22 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:49

another advantage of the Nexus 7 is it supports smart covers http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649 works great for propping it up when playing games with the controller too :)

#23 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:52

another advantage of the Nexus 7 is it supports smart covers http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649 works great for propping it up when playing games with the controller too :)

I have something similar to that for my kindle fire hd. http://www.amazon.co... kindle fire hd

#24 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:57

I have something similar to that for my kindle fire hd. http://www.amazon.co...+kindle+fire+hd

ugh, i hate those slip cases personally, they're just too bulky IMO
that's why i like the case i linked so much, it's minimal because it just snaps on yet it gets the job done :) took forever for a non bulky one like that to come out for the nexus 7 though

anyway, i didn't realize that the fire hd supported smart covers as well. it's really a nice feature when you can get a cover that makes use of it

#25 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:59

The only downside to the Nexus 7 that I can see is the small HD size. I have a kindle fire hd and love it, you can always use websites to get apk's that amazon doesn't offer.

For you downside, for many others it's an advantage. The Nexus 7 is portable, can be held in one hand, fits in your jeans pocket, and offers pretty decent screen real-estate - 7" at 1280x800 (which is the same as kindle fire hd 7"). Nexus 7 is far superior than Nook/Kindle Fire without any doubts - there is no third part lockdown like Kindle/Nook and specs on Nexus 7 are better overall. Unless you are invested in Amazon Prime services, there is absolutely no reason to get the Kindle (same with Nook). You can just download the Kindle/Nook apps and use their marketplace if you wish to do so on Nexus 7.

#26 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:03

ugh, i hate those slip cases personally, they're just too bulky IMO
that's why i like the case i linked so much, it's minimal because it just snaps on yet it gets the job done :) took forever for a non bulky one like that to come out for the nexus 7 though

anyway, i didn't realize that the fire hd supported smart covers as well. it's really a nice feature when you can get a cover that makes use of it

I don't find it to be a problem I like mine personally,I guess its a personal preference thing. I like how I can fold it any way I like it has two magnets in it to hold the position you choose together.

For you downside, for many others it's an advantage. The Nexus 7 is portable, can be held in one hand, fits in your jeans pocket, and offers pretty decent screen real-estate - 7" at 1280x800 (which is the same as kindle fire hd 7"). Nexus 7 is far superior than Nook/Kindle Fire without any doubts - there is no third part lockdown like Kindle/Nook and specs on Nexus 7 are better overall. Unless you are invested in Amazon Prime services, there is absolutely no reason to get the Kindle (same with Nook). You can just download the Kindle/Nook apps and use their marketplace if you wish to do so on Nexus 7.

Personally I wouldn't be sticking anything that large in a pants pocket regardless of size, any tablet is probably going to be thrown in a backpack if its going some where with me anyway. I can hold my kindle fire hd in one hand easily, I can barely palm it but I can hold it in one hand. I have prime and I love it so its not a downside for me plus there are ways to root the kindle fire hd now. And its not like you can't use the web browser to find other apps thats not on the amazon store.

#27 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:12

^ oh yes, it's mostly just a peeve of mine, i don't like the covers that go over the bezel. they just look bad to me for what ever reason

#28 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:49

I got some Nexus 7s for my daughters, and they're great. However, I am a bit irritated that there is no SD card port. If you're considering the Kindle Fire HD, you should also consider the Nook HD. The Nook HD has better specs at the $199 price point, except for the internal storage, but it does have a SD card slot, so that's mostly a non-issue. It has been rooted so you can install CM10 on it now, and it might give you a better gaming tablet than the Kindle for the same price (though neither are as good as the Nexus, they're both probably more than good enough for Android games; I'm still gaming on my Nook Color running CM10, which is a dinosaur compared to what is available now).

#29 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:26

I got some Nexus 7s for my daughters, and they're great. However, I am a bit irritated that there is no SD card port. If you're considering the Kindle Fire HD, you should also consider the Nook HD. The Nook HD has better specs at the $199 price point, except for the internal storage, but it does have a SD card slot, so that's mostly a non-issue. It has been rooted so you can install CM10 on it now, and it might give you a better gaming tablet than the Kindle for the same price (though neither are as good as the Nexus, they're both probably more than good enough for Android games; I'm still gaming on my Nook Color running CM10, which is a dinosaur compared to what is available now).

I guess but you're not going to be playing xbox/ps3 type games on them any way. The way I see tablet games is a casual type gaming device, where I really don't care about graphics all that much, just games where when i'm bored I can pick up the tablet for 5 minutes and play and then be done with it. I use it for movies,music and books more though. But I mean its up to the end user to decide what they want. For me the Kindle Fire HD was good enough, I don't need to do any technical stuff with it or have ultra high quality graphics ( whatever that means for adroid games) so its more than enough.

#30 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:57

Personally I wouldn't be sticking anything that large in a pants pocket regardless of size, any tablet is probably going to be thrown in a backpack if its going some where with me anyway. I can hold my kindle fire hd in one hand easily, I can barely palm it but I can hold it in one hand. I have prime and I love it so its not a downside for me plus there are ways to root the kindle fire hd now. And its not like you can't use the web browser to find other apps thats not on the amazon store.

I mentioned the pocket comment because it just shows you how small the device really is. I personally wouldn't pocket it either, but I definitely can fit it in my jeans. What's the point of rooting/custom ROM'ing your kindle fire? Why go through all that trouble when you can get a Nexus device for the same exact price with better specs and runs stock Android (with timely updates)? Like I said, unless you are invested in Amazon Prime, there is no advantage to having a Kindle Fire over the Nexus 7, in many ways the Kindle Fire is far inferior than the Nexus 7. Besides if you are interested in rooting/ROM's, the Nexus 7 has an excellent dev. community that whips out custom ROMs. There's a reason why the Nexus 7 gets so much praise for what it offers at that price point...