Orbis Unmasked: What to expect from next-gen

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#91 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:04

You may get the console hardware cheap but you pay for it by the software prices staying higher significantly longer than they do on the pc. In the long run consoles don't actually end up much cheaper.

#92 Mulrian

Mulrian

Neowinian

• 162 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:19

It's the premium price as well, you buy a games console for £300-400 and you know that it will be able to play ALL games for the next 8-10 years.

With a PC try playing the latest games with a 5 year old graphics card and CPU and see how far that gets you.

To play the latest games with maxed out graphics you need to buy a new GPU at least every 2-3 years, you are nearly buying a new console every 2-3 years as new graphics cards are £250+ up to £400-500 for the best ones.

You may be able to play the latest games 5 years down the line, but the quality of graphics on some of the latest titles are extremely poor compared to their PC counterparts.

All in all I think it balances itself out, PC's cost more to start with and you get insane graphics and framerates, whilst consoles are cheaper but stay on a set standard graphics wise. Playing the latest titles on 5 year old hardware can still get you better graphics than current consoles can do.

#93 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,870 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:30

You may be able to play the latest games 5 years down the line, but the quality of graphics on some of the latest titles are extremely poor compared to their PC counterparts.

All in all I think it balances itself out, PC's cost more to start with and you get insane graphics and framerates, whilst consoles are cheaper but stay on a set standard graphics wise. Playing the latest titles on 5 year old hardware can still get you better graphics than current consoles can do.

i don't know, I'd say 343i did a pretty good job of pushing the 360 to the limits graphics wise
and I'd also say it compares pretty well to pc game graphics

#94 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,675 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:40

I'll just play games on both my pc and a console. You can talk about hardware all you want but I can't wait to see the games we get on both sides now that devs can move off of dx9 and on to dx11.1. At the least ports won't suffer like they have.

#95 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:43

I'll just play games on both my pc and a console. You can talk about hardware all you want but I can't wait to see the games we get on both sides now that devs can move off of dx9 and on to dx11.1. At the least ports won't suffer like they have.

Games no longer being bound to directx 9 will not suddenly make half-assed ports disappear.

#96 Mulrian

Mulrian

Neowinian

• 162 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:57

True you do have a point there - Halo 4 does look insane. But don't you think thats because it was built with the Xbox in mind? I'm sure they made a load of optimisations for the xbox to make it look that good - because its their main release platform.

I was thinking more along the lines of the latest COD titles or Battlefield 3. There really is no comparison from PC to consoles graphics wise. What the consoles produce is really average at most.

#97 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,607 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:02

You may get the console hardware cheap but you pay for it by the software prices staying higher significantly longer than they do on the pc. In the long run consoles don't actually end up much cheaper.

Luckily in the UK console games tend to half in price in a month :laugh: A little bit of patience and you're sorted, but yeah at launch PC is always cheaper.

#98 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,970 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:46

Luckily in the UK console games tend to half in price in a month :laugh: A little bit of patience and you're sorted, but yeah at launch PC is always cheaper.

PC games are often half price before launch. Take the latest Tomb Raider for instance - it was available for £17.55 from GMG. Even without any discount the Amazon price is £24.99, which compares to £37.94 on both PS3 and X360. And that's how Microsoft and Sony make up the money for offering their consoles at a discounted price. If you were to buy 12 games in a year with that sort of mark-up then you'd have spent an extra £156; over the life of a console that would work out to £1248. And a lot of people buy more games than that.

Console gaming is very much like mobile phone contracts, in that the real price is hidden. Even with the cheaper games PC gaming still works out more expensive but it's not that bad considering you get much better quality visuals (resolution, textures, polygon count, view distance, etc) and higher framerates, plus additional capabilities like 3D and VR tech like the Oculus Rift.

#99 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,975 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:12

I've adopted the "wait 6 months, then buy" method. I used to get caught up in getting a game at launch, or close, but realised it was costing me too much and the premium was rarely worth it.

#100 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:26

Yeah......no.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Try running the latest games with nVidia 7900GT graphics. BF3 for example runs at 12FPS on 7900GTX with everything turned off.

#101 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:41

Are those pics supposed to prove him wrong and say that visuals on console games can compete with the pc? Cause they don't. Not by a long shot.

#102 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:46

Read what I said after the pics. You can't expect 6 year old consoles to keep up with PCs considering PCs get new gpus and cpus every 6 months. Compare it to a graphics card of the time.

#103 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:51

Graphics aren't everything. Growing up with consoles like Atari, Nintendo, and so on, I am fine with where console graphics are right now. All I want is better AI, better stories, some originality, and stable frames per second.

#104 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,675 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:09

Graphics aren't everything. Growing up with consoles like Atari, Nintendo, and so on, I am fine with where console graphics are right now. All I want is better AI, better stories, some originality, and stable frames per second.

+1 for better stories, maybe if developers stopped being so mp first on their titles we'd get just that.

#105 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:11

Good luck at getting originality out of the gaming industry nowadays. Publishers tend to be too afraid of funding that kind of thing.