legatum prosperity index london think tank 142 countries

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:05

India must be first from last. The potential is there but absolutely zero political will.

#17 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,798 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:18

small populations for sure seems to be the common ground. In the top 10 spots, Its kind of surprising that Canada, having biggest population (35 mill) + 2nd biggest land mass in the world, scored so high. You would think a population so spread out would have similar problems with not being very unified.

#18 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:38

All these ratings are a tool of the power elite aimed at supporting their legitimacy.

In this case, they are promoting/defending big governments. It's the single most common denominator of the top performers. If you had to list countries by the percentage of employees working for the government, you would see a similar arrangement.

As for Norway, if it were such a wonderful place, Anders Breivik wouldn't have happened there.

And if they say they are linking happiness to prosperity and rely on GDP per capita, then why don't we see either Qatar (world's top GDP per capita PPP performer) or UAE in the top 20? Because these countries are not western social liberal democracies, that's why!

#19 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,798 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:24

All these ratings are a tool of the power elite aimed at supporting their legitimacy.

In this case, they are promoting/defending big governments. It's the single most common denominator of the top performers. If you had to list countries by the percentage of employees working for the government, you would see a similar arrangement.

As for Norway, if it were such a wonderful place, Anders Breivik wouldn't have happened there.

And if they say they are linking happiness to prosperity and rely on GDP per capita, then why don't we see either Qatar (world's top GDP per capita PPP performer) or UAE in the top 20? Because these countries are not western social liberal democracies, that's why!

they did post how they made the ratings.... not everything is a conspiracy.

#20 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,167 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:30

at least for once it is news in a good light rather than negative news :p

#21 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,243 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:35

I lol'd at this:

America is supposed to be the land of opportunity, but Legatum notes "a decline in citizens' perception that working hard gets you ahead."

Not surprised at all since this country has become extremely divided within the last few years. I'm actually surprised it's not further down on the list.

#22 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,048 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:39

Curiously I agree. But not as a conspiracy supporter. The effectiveness of these societies are legitimate. Their geographical and political circumstances are fertile grounds for stability. A population that cant grow too much, a physical territory that cant expand, enough resources. Everything is manageable.

Happiness is found in spareness, not in overflow.

#23 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:54

They must have asked around some random ghetto in America. I guarantee those people are not happy with the loads of free money they get from the government. Yay, freebies!

That attitude right there is EXACTLY what is wrong with your country.

#24 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:25

Curiously I agree. But not as a conspiracy supporter. The effectiveness of these societies are legitimate. Their geographical and political circumstances are fertile grounds for stability. A population that cant grow too much, a physical territory that cant expand, enough resources. Everything is manageable.

Happiness is found in spareness, not in overflow.

Happiness is relative and subjective, and, it's just the title. What they've actually measured is nation's prosperity and factored in wealthfare-state social programs.

I, for one, think that happiness and success measured in material terms are two different concepts. So, if I had a chance to come up with a world happiness rating, I'd definitely put India and China in the top ten, because these people know that happiness cannot be bought for money :)

#25 drazgoosh

drazgoosh

Neowinian

• 1,208 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:29

Previously having lived in Australia, I can see why it's on the list. I can also see why the UK isn't :p

Never would've imagined that the Scandinavian countries would be that happy though. Quite surprised.

#26 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,004 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:32

I, for one, think that happiness and success measured in material terms are two different concepts. So, if I had a chance to come up with a world happiness rating, I'd definitively put India and China in the top ten, because these people know that happiness cannot be bought for money :)

^ I can't think of many happy things that don't somehow involve money. ;)

#27 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:39

^ I can't think of many happy things that don't somehow involve money. ;)

You have my sympathy...

:rofl:

#28 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:40

I am happy in America as you see sadness only lasts 4-8 years :)

#29 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,048 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:20

Happiness is relative and subjective, and, it's just the title. What they've actually measured is nation's prosperity and factored in wealthfare-state social programs.

I, for one, think that happiness and success measured in material terms are two different concepts. So, if I had a chance to come up with a world happiness rating, I'd definitely put India and China in the top ten, because these people know that happiness cannot be bought for money :)

Can we agree that happiness is not the wishy-washy joy portrayed by the media but a relative stability and concern-free state? That's my take on happiness. I think it's reasonable.

If we agree on that then this list is spot on, sociologically speaking.

I am happy in America as you see sadness only lasts 4-8 years :)

I believe you are happy but I cant agree that the US as a country is a happy one. Your culture is quite neurotic, and believe me, that's not an insult, I truly believe that because of that neurosis the US have produced some of the best thinkers of our era.

#30 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:31

Can we agree that happiness is not the wishy-washy joy portrayed by the media but a relative stability and concern-free state? That's my take on happiness. I think it's reasonable.

If we agree on that then this list is spot on, sociologically speaking.

I believe you are happy but I cant agree that the US as a country is a happy one. Your culture is quite neurotic, and believe me, that's not an insult, I truly believe that because of that neurosis the US have produced some of the best thinkers of our era.

Wouldn't concern free be related to stability or viceversa? I agree.

Honduras, Central America, Third world hell, is very unhappy... You can't walk around in the biggest cities without having a knot in your throat because of the risk of getting SHOT to steal your cellphone or just mug you.