Ubuntu 12.04 Unity 2D Stuck Issue

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:17

I am having issue running any games at all, even on low settings.

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS is what I get with glxinfo | grep renderer.

Is that correct? What is needed?

#47 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 24 February 2013 - 18:15

That is the correct string for the radeon OpenGL renderer. If you are running Unity (or Compiz in general), make sure that "Undirect Fullscreen Windows" is checked to get the best performance in full-screen games. (Although the feature was introduced in Ubuntu 12.10, it has been backported to Ubuntu 12.04.2 - its just not default in 12.04.)

#48 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 18:29

Yes that is enabled. I guess these drivers just don't work for 3D gaming. And for what ever reason the AMD drivers hate my system and cause it to have problems. lol

#49 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 24 February 2013 - 20:03

Unfortunately the 3D performance of Radeon and Nouveau is not quite up-to-par. Their 2D performance is fantastic, but the drivers are not well optimized at the moment. The Intel graphics driver is much better optimized, but the hardware performance is lacking. I'm hoping that the open-source driver AMD recently released for the Radeon HD 8000 series is a game changer when the hardware arrives!

That said, I am able to run Nexuiz, Minecraft, and Team Fortress 2 acceptably on my Radeon HD 5770 using Radeon and Gallium 0.4.