28 replies to this topic

#16 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 7,770 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 00:14

Oh come on dude.

"almost every car company"

Maybe among the biggest brands. Do you know how many car brands there are?

And don't get so upset about a single line of doubt about you watching the video. What's the matter? I didn't insult you, did I?

Glassed Silver:mac

Yeah "Almost"... I mean not all of brands have it. A friend of mine has brand new car but it doesn't have that feature. It will take awhile before ALL brands have that feature including auto drive, maybe some companies do not want that feature in their vehicles since some people including myself do not want that crap... If I want to buy a car, I want that off because I don't want that crap. I prefer to drive it myself.

As you see, at the store, you look around the fridges, NOT all of them have water/ice dispenser on the door. For example, you get the fridge with water/ice dispenser for your kitchen while I get mine without it... nothing on the door.. so I can open the door to get something I want.

Yeah I dunno what this guy is even talking about, there's a huge difference between automatic parallel park and what this car is doing.. It's not even the same thing. Nowhere near it.

It is basically same thing... they have sensor/camera with controlling system in their cars. Audi has more controls in the system while Ford and others have small control system for parking only but not very long before they will update their system which they will have the auto drive from one place to other in near future...

For example, If I get Ford car and I want a car to drive like Audi does, I can make some changes in the system, so Ford car can drive by itself ..

Anyway, move on...

#17 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,636 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 00:18

wtf are you talking about man?

#18 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

• 5,993 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:32

other cars have had this for ages, my mate bought a car two years ago that parked itself.
nothing new here.
it actually worked very well, parked perfectly every time aswell!

edit: also this ad is playing it up, obviously it only does it with you in the car lol. Then if something did go wrong (highly unlikely) you just press the brake/take control.
My friends car had cameras too so it was a little easier to trust since you could see how close you were.

Truly amazing sittting in the car watching it parralel park itself into a space not much bigger than the car

err did you even watch the video, no car currently does this...

For example, If I get Ford car and I want a car to drive like Audi does, I can make some changes in the system, so Ford car can drive by itself ..

i'd like to see how that project goes for you :)

#19 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:39

Well... You know how we blame people for "making their own parking spaces." At least now we can just blame the car. :p
That would be my worst fear; where it decides it has found a "legitimate" parking space, or just a random space that seemed equivalent. Also, trying to find out where I...err, well, my car parked my car. :p

#20 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

• 5,993 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:44

Well... You know how we blame people for "making their own parking spaces." At least now we can just blame the car. :p
That would be my worst fear; where it decides it has found a "legitimate" parking space, or just a random space that seemed equivalent. Also, trying to find out where I...err, well, my car parked my car. :p

yeah, that was my first thought too actually... why didn't the car just stop randomly in the road and think "oh this is a roomy space" :D

#21 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,500 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:47

I did watch it... I know about the cars... you clearly can NOT see me what I was doing. That video was showing me that a lady parked her car then she used her device to let the car park itself in the garage and then end of the working day, the car came out of the garage so she goes out.

Ford has it, Audi has it... you know? Almost every cars have it. That feature and auto drive do not excite me, whoope deee doo.

I visit cars/trucks websites and I used to have the magazines for awhile before I quit them so I read them on their websites.

I have seen a video that Google has their own self driving car which let the blind man sit in the driver seat.

I have seen these videos before these users post them on the forum.

Have you been to my place? No? Then from now on, please do not say that to me or anyone.

What car is available to mass consumers that can park itself and then can magically drive itself to pick you up at the door? NOTHING. Yes, there are self-driving cars (like Google's), but they are not available to the consumers. You're talking two very different things.

I don't know how I feel about this. More electronics = more things to fail. I can also see some security issues...

#22 Luis PT

Luis PT

Neowinian

• 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:48

I did watch it... I know about the cars... you clearly can NOT see me what I was doing. That video was showing me that a lady parked her car then she used her device to let the car park itself in the garage and then end of the working day, the car came out of the garage so she goes out.

Ford has it, Audi has it... you know? Almost every cars have it. That feature and auto drive do not excite me, whoope deee doo.

I visit cars/trucks websites and I used to have the magazines for awhile before I quit them so I read them on their websites.

I have seen a video that Google has their own self driving car which let the blind man sit in the driver seat.

I have seen these videos before these users post them on the forum.

Have you been to my place? No? Then from now on, please do not say that to me or anyone.

...and after this raging comment he screamed: "Mom, where's the meatloaf? Mooooom...the meatloaf!"

#23 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 803 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:05

i didnt watch the whole thing no but like I said my friends car parks itself. its nothing more or less spectacular than this ad shows. This is is also clearly hyperbole, cars aren't allowed to drive themselves with nobody inside them. There is no way thats how it works.
google car could drive themselves, but they weren't allowed to without a human inside to take control, just incase.

I know thats what the ad shows, but i just do not believe cars will be allowed to drive around themselves and park.

So all in all, this car parks itself, which my friends car did 5 years ago. (VW touran)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D7-22l-DHw
video doesn't show it that well but it does what it says, you drive near to a spot, camera highlights the spot, you okay it and car parks

#24 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

• 5,993 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:07

...This is is also clearly hyperbole, cars aren't alowed to drive themselves with nobody inside them...

this is a very good point tbh

#25 Arpit

Arpit

The neowin lurker

• 2,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:19

cool video but i'd like to see the same thing when you've got other cars/drivers around you to see how the car accounts for dynamic variables.

to be honest, i just want to see the reaction of others who'd see a driverless car park in front of them..and go "WTF?"

#26 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:22

Cool concept. I have park assist in my BMW which does parallel parking - nice gizmo but completely pointless as I park way faster... This really takes it to the next level, but I don't think it's as practical as the marketing vid makes it appear. Consider this.

1. I have to ID to a reader for the barrier to lift - guess the car would just sit there.
2. Often I need to back up and let incoming traffic go - wonder what the car would do? Just wait there? :) Pretty good way to lose my next promotion fast.
3. Some of the parking areas in my garage are offlimits - reserved, temporarily not available, etc. guess the car wouldn't be smart enough to figure this out
4. Would it be smart enough to look for free space on the next level I wonder?
5. Is obstacle detection 360?

Etc. Admittedly I watched the video w/o audio so maybe that's addressed but I wouldn't use such a system. Again, nice idea and nice video.

#27 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,905 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:28

yeah, that was my first thought too actually... why didn't the car just stop randomly in the road and think "oh this is a roomy space" :D

I was wondering why it didn't do that. The place she got out of the car could have been an ideal spot for a computer. How did the car know which lane to leave the Carpark in, why didn't it try to drive out of the entrance?

#28 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 7,770 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:08

What car is available to mass consumers that can park itself and then can magically drive itself to pick you up at the door? NOTHING. Yes, there are self-driving cars (like Google's), but they are not available to the consumers. You're talking two very different things.

I don't know how I feel about this. More electronics = more things to fail. I can also see some security issues...

I was talking about controller systems (computer or mobile) in the cars... Right now, Ford and few others have auto parking.... while Audi self-drive from door to the garage then park itself....

The controller systems in all cars are basically same...

Like I said, in the near future, more brands will have the controlling systems.

They are in the testing stage before they release the auto drive vehicles to the public in the future... maybe 5 or 10 years. Which is why they are making sure there are no flaws in the systems.

i'd like to see how that project goes for you :)

Have you seen any TV show that they put radio controlling stuff in the car and they control the car with their controller about 10-15 years ago? I did mine while back. And have you seen anyone who make some changes with their own mods..

New cars such as Ford, that they have auto parking system, I can check it out and see if I can make some changes then test it out on the empty lot for fun but, I don't want that controlling crap in my primary car on the road. I prefer to drive myself either short or long trips.

People prefer to make some changes to their stuff such they mods their PC, and tweaked firmware for their PS3, etc. you know? As you see they like after market stuff better than those factory-made stuff.

I like to do something and see how it goes such as after market mods... Making some changes to the consoles, PC, etc.

There are smart people on the earth that make some changes to their stuff for better than the factory stuff.

#29 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 803 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:16

I was wondering why it didn't do that. The place she got out of the car could have been an ideal spot for a computer. How did the car know which lane to leave the Carpark in, why didn't it try to drive out of the entrance?

because as i said, its hyperbole. There is no way that ad is how it works, a car doesn't know whats a good space and what isnt. it could stop on double yellow lines (no parking) it could stop on single yellows, disabled spots etc etc.
The human has to be there and tell it where to park then I believe it parks itself (as I have seen)
I am just not believing it works as shown.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!