69 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,980 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:54

Posted Image

Just when we were getting accustomed to high-profile multiplatform releases stepping up their offerings on PC, word has gotten out that Dead Space 3 will be taking a ... different approach to the platform. Speaking to games.on.net, Visceral Games explained that the PC version will be a straight port of what's available on consoles.

Reportedly, there will be some graphics options, but nothing in the way of DirectX 11 support, high-resolution textures, or any other perks that one might expect from modern PC games. Considering we haven't heard much talk about this specific version, that's not too shocking to hear. Disappointing, though. Here's hoping it at least runs well.

Dead Space 3 on PC to be straight port, no additional features added [games.on.net]

Read more at http://www.destructo...BTqWcgrhA42I.99

#2 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,925 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:04

I'm officially out of my preorder then. This news, together with the update earlier this week about in-game crafting transactions... :/ I'll wait for the price drop.

#3 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 963 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:04

Well when this is on steam sales for $5 earlier the better, I bought the first two only because they were cheap and I thought I shoulda spent more, but hearing this I'll gladly spend $5 this time to max. :D

#4 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:07

A lazy job from EA? No surprise there.

#5 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,019 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:11

Dead Space is a franchise that'll be super-cheap on Steam in a couple months after release. i bought DS2 for like $2

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,404 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:13

And this is why getting out the new consoles will help the pc side also. When the next gen Xbox games are finally on dx11.1 then straight ports to the pc won't have the same outcome.

#7 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,689 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:16

I don't see why this is even a slightly bit surprising after the shenanigans they pulled with Dead Space 2.

#8 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,535 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:17

f*ck you EA. they're just giving us more and more reasons to hate them :angry:

#9 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,484 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:47

I swear to god, if this is a DX9 game... :crazy:

Why is it so difficult to make a proper port? How hard is it to make high rez textures and compress them for the consoles?

And this is why getting out the new consoles will help the pc side also. When the next gen Xbox games are finally on dx11.1 then straight ports to the pc won't have the same outcome.

+

#10 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,019 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:49

I don't see why this is even a slightly bit surprising after the shenanigans they pulled with Dead Space 2.

DS2 was a mess. enjoyed playing the parts i could. had to stop b/c of constant bugs and inability to save my game.

#11 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:55

Well when this is on steam sales for $5 earlier the better, I bought the first two only because they were cheap and I thought I shoulda spent more, but hearing this I'll gladly spend $5 this time to max. :D

Dead Space is a franchise that'll be super-cheap on Steam in a couple months after release. i bought DS2 for like $2

It's an Origin exclusive so it won't be released on Steam. I wasn't too interested in this game before but with this news, I wouldn't buy it if it was on sale for $1.

#12 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,239 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:57

I wouldn't buy it if it was on sale for $1.

I hear that.. brings "lazy console port" to a whole new level. Doesn't exactly scream "buy me." Shoot "pirate me" is just barely a whisper. DS2 ran ok for me though; only problems I had were chalked up to wonky (at the time) ATI drivers, long since fixed.

#13 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,404 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 23 January 2013 - 21:01

I actually didn't have any problems playing ds2 on the pc. I don't remember it crashing on me.

#14 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,484 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 23 January 2013 - 21:02

It's an Origin exclusive so it won't be released on Steam. I wasn't too interested in this game before but with this news, I wouldn't buy it if it was on sale for $1.

Is that just for DS3? I currently own DS 1&2 on Steam.

#15 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,886 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 21:05

I like the Dead Space franchise, but it's disappointing to note that they're allowing their game to be held back because they're too cheap or lazy to take advantage of PC technology. Seriously, f*** consoles, they become dated quickly and hold technology back.