Dead Space 3 will have a bare-bones PC version

kd4DfSf.jpg

Just when we were getting accustomed to high-profile multiplatform releases stepping up their offerings on PC, word has gotten out that Dead Space 3 will be taking a ... different approach to the platform. Speaking to games.on.net, Visceral Games explained that the PC version will be a straight port of what's available on consoles.

Reportedly, there will be some graphics options, but nothing in the way of DirectX 11 support, high-resolution textures, or any other perks that one might expect from modern PC games. Considering we haven't heard much talk about this specific version, that's not too shocking to hear. Disappointing, though. Here's hoping it at least runs well.

Dead Space 3 on PC to be straight port, no additional features added [games.on.net]

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-3-will-have-a-bare-bones-pc-version-243000.phtml#Pf2DBTqWcgrhA42I.99

Well when this is on steam sales for $5 earlier the better, I bought the first two only because they were cheap and I thought I shoulda spent more, but hearing this I'll gladly spend $5 this time to max. :D

And this is why getting out the new consoles will help the pc side also. When the next gen Xbox games are finally on dx11.1 then straight ports to the pc won't have the same outcome.

• Like 3

I swear to god, if this is a DX9 game... :crazy:

Why is it so difficult to make a proper port? How hard is it to make high rez textures and compress them for the consoles?

And this is why getting out the new consoles will help the pc side also. When the next gen Xbox games are finally on dx11.1 then straight ports to the pc won't have the same outcome.

+?

I don't see why this is even a slightly bit surprising after the shenanigans they pulled with Dead Space 2.

DS2 was a mess. enjoyed playing the parts i could. had to stop b/c of constant bugs and inability to save my game.

Well when this is on steam sales for $5 earlier the better, I bought the first two only because they were cheap and I thought I shoulda spent more, but hearing this I'll gladly spend $5 this time to max. :D

Dead Space is a franchise that'll be super-cheap on Steam in a couple months after release. i bought DS2 for like $2

It's an Origin exclusive so it won't be released on Steam. I wasn't too interested in this game before but with this news, I wouldn't buy it if it was on sale for $1.

I wouldn't buy it if it was on sale for $1.

I hear that.. brings "lazy console port" to a whole new level. Doesn't exactly scream "buy me." Shoot "pirate me" is just barely a whisper. DS2 ran ok for me though; only problems I had were chalked up to wonky (at the time) ATI drivers, long since fixed.

I actually didn't have any problems playing ds2 on the pc. I don't remember it crashing on me.

It's an Origin exclusive so it won't be released on Steam. I wasn't too interested in this game before but with this news, I wouldn't buy it if it was on sale for $1.

Is that just for DS3? I currently own DS 1&2 on Steam.

I like the Dead Space franchise, but it's disappointing to note that they're allowing their game to be held back because they're too cheap or lazy to take advantage of PC technology. Seriously, f*** consoles, they become dated quickly and hold technology back.

I actually didn't have any problems playing ds2 on the pc. I don't remember it crashing on me.

i only had one problem with DS2, and that was I got it on a steam sale and had to wait like a week to play it because EA ran out of keys to give to steam to give to the people that bought the game

besides that the game ran fine for me

Well, EA really knows how to tick off PC gamers. Crappy ports and micro-transactions are two of the most hated 'features', with only draconian DRM being more despised. I bought both the previous games but I'm not going to go anywhere near this one. Good job EA! (Y)

I hear that.. brings "lazy console port" to a whole new level. Doesn't exactly scream "buy me." Shoot "pirate me" is just barely a whisper. DS2 ran ok for me though; only problems I had were chalked up to wonky (at the time) ATI drivers, long since fixed.

Dead Space 2 ran okay for me too. And from what I can remember, the PC version didn't feel like a console port. It's a damn shame they decided to go with a straight port for Dead Space 3. I think they could have made the PC version really good with Frostbite 2.

Is that just for DS3? I currently own DS 1&2 on Steam.

It only applies to Dead Space 3.

I'l pay $0.25 for it. :p

Can't be as bad as Dark Souls, that was one of the worst ports I've seen in a long time. It looked beyond hideous on a PC.

Shame though, I thought things were quite positive for this series with all the backing and nice movie that came with it. I enjoyed the first and the sequel wasn't horrible either. Is it really that hard to engineer a game for a PC?

HA! Even better, won't get it at all now.

I wonder what they will blame on it not selling well though?

Can't be as bad as Dark Souls, that was one of the worst ports I've seen in a long time. It looked beyond hideous on a PC.

Shame though, I thought things were quite positive for this series with all the backing and nice movie that came with it. I enjoyed the first and the sequel wasn't horrible either. Is it really that hard to engineer a game for a PC?

DSFix made what was a bad port into something worthwhile.

Still better with 60 frames per second/1080p on pc compared to 30 frames per second/720p upscaled..Not complaning even tho yes they could of made it not a console port but still better res/frames a a bit better detail..