118 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landed

Windows-8-Logo_myversion.jpg

Exclusive Microsoft blames PC makers for underwhelming Windows 8 sales over Christmas, The Register has learned. The software giant accused manufacturers of not building enough attractive Win 8-powered touchscreen tablets.

But the computer makers are fighting back: they claimed that if they

Edited by Calum
Added a 'rumour' tag to remove the possibility of misguidance and the possibility of false accusations being made. What The Register's article says has not been confirmed at all by anyone.

Posted

Riiiiight!

And had nothing to do with the fact that not everyone wanted or liked (NOTE: I said not everyone) it?

Or the fact that touch screens (over 22 inch) are still a little on the pricey side?

edit.. I just read my post... Crisp, that was not an attack directed towards you

10 people like this

Posted

A relaunch of Windows 8? :huh: Should we get ready for the 'wow' to start now?

Posted

200x200px-ZC-85cd51d3_3192526-man-eating-popcorn-while-watching-movie.jpeg
1 person likes this

Posted

Hurry up with the Blue!

1 person likes this

Posted

Haha, wtf...

I'll take what they've had please.

Glassed Silver:ios

3 people like this

Posted

Not taking either side on this one however, it really drives me insane to see the front page of <insert any electronics store here>'s flyer with a ridiculous number of non-touch devices with Windows 8 on them. I don't believe any Windows 8 device should be touchless.

1 person likes this

Posted

Suuurrrrre Microsoft, keep telling yourselves that.

8 people like this

Posted

I don't believe any Windows 8 device should be touchless.

I'm assuming Microsoft would then have had trouble to sell any Windows 8 devices at all, going by what the article says:

Those who did buy Windows 8 PCs ultimately bought the cheap laptops not high-end Ultrabooks or hybrids.

Posted

So wait, Microsoft was expecting that Windows 8 would only be a success if they could get the manufacturers on their side? Ok, that in itself can make sense, but if your whole plan relies on that then why not discuss the hardware guidelines with them so that an agreement can be reached? From the sounds of it such a discussion wasn't had and instead Microsoft thought the manufacturers would just roll with it.

2 people like this

Posted

I'm assuming Microsoft would then have had trouble to sell any Windows 8 devices at all, going by what the article says:

Except that there are plenty of "cheap" devices that have touch. It's not impossible. Besides that, most of the high end devices don't even have touch. The entire thing is a mess as far as I'm concerned.

3 people like this

Posted

And the geniuses at Microsoft are jacking up the price in February too.

I wonder when they will kill it and release Windows 9 with start button & desktop and dump the failed metro experiment on desktops/laptops

8 people like this

Posted

Oh Microsoft...

Why are you so funny now?

5 people like this

Posted

I wonder when they will kill it and release Windows 9 with start button & desktop and dump the failed metro experiment on desktops/laptops

To each, their own bud, I mentioned in another thread that there should have been 2 versions of 8. 1 for touch, 1 for old 'desktop' users

5 people like this

Posted

I would rather them release Windows 8.5 - which dumps metro and has the desktop and is for desktop machines only.

Any windows device with touch can stick with Windows 8. That would be more... intelligent, something that Microsoft doesn't seem to have much of lately.

Posted

Ha, didn't see this one coming from a mile away...no....not at all..

9 people like this

Posted

I stopped reading at "The Register".

1 person likes this

Posted

I would rather them release Windows 8.5 - which dumps metro and has the desktop and is for desktop machines only.

Any windows device with touch can stick with Windows 8. That would be more... intelligent, something that Microsoft doesn't seem to have much of lately.

I'd rather see them play to the strengths of the desktop form factor by allowing Metro apps to be run in a window and to behave similar to any conventional desktop application. The desktop should be the primary user experience for desktop users, with the Start Screen only appearing when the user launches it (

5 people like this

Posted

I'd rather see them play to the strengths of the desktop form factor by allowing Metro apps to be run in a window and to behave similar to any conventional desktop application. The desktop should be the primary user experience for desktop users, with the Start Screen only appearing when the user launches it (

Posted

_Snip_

I'd rather see Windows move forward than for Microsoft to just run back to what worked with Windows 7.

~Snip~

I agree with you, although sometimes in order to move forward, you have to take a step back, (Not saying this is the right course here tho)

Posted

That's highly impractical. The desktop - the entire desktop - would have to be redesigned for use with touch.

Microsoft could let developers include additional (non-touchable) views in their applications that are hooked up to the existing application model to be utilized when the app is put into windowed mode for use on the Desktop.

Posted

That's highly impractical. The desktop - the entire desktop - would have to be redesigned for use with touch.

Either that or you could have two separate interfaces. That's up to Microsoft to decide, but the implementation in Windows 8 is a mess (even though I still prefer it as an operating system to Windows 7).

Posted

Either that or you could have two separate interfaces.

That sounds familiar. Oh, wait...

Windows_8_Start_Screen.png

2 people like this

Posted

Well... Oh SURPRISE! (Not)