Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landed

It goes both ways but with MS's business model, they are still leading the charge so if OEM's weren't ready, thats on them too.

Ballmer has to go.

Absolutely? Developers are still porting, learning, developing. Even MS was late with their own Windows games for Surface. The Music app is crap and the video app leaves a lot to be desired. There is no Zune for Windows 8 to sync phone or tablet with desktop and existing media. They're trying to steer people to Xbox Music subscriptions and Video to create new revenue streams.

They've made a lot of gambles, and outpaced developers including their own in-house developers. So far, it's not really worked well but, they have a monopoly, eventually the thing will sell well, what may not, is their tablet initiative.

Where's the killer Windows 8 only-app? Where's the Killer Surface RT-app? Where's the killer Modern UI-app? Who has announced a great game for Windows 8 to take advantage of anything specifically windows 8? Who's even saying runs great or better on Windows 8?

For goodness sake, there's no true Windows Phone 8 sync app for Windows 8. It is a mess. Will it fail, that would be nearly impossible given the dominance of Windows.

Care to post a source? Because this, this, and this (PDF) say otherwise.

Google Nokia and read all the news reports from today. None of those links you linked to said anything contrary to what I said. They did hit their first profit in ages in Q4, and it was with less phone sales and less revenue than a year before. They also did things like sell their headquarters in Q4 to try to make it into the black.

Read this article entirely: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/technology/nokia-shows-a-profit-but-shares-drop.html

I don't think Microsoft gets it again. It's mostly about price. If you notice it's the cheap end that's selling, and not the high end. The Windows products are nice but they cost too much.

I hate to say this, but...some people are still waiting for the first service pack before they jump to Windows 8. I've heard this from everyone I've recommended Windows 8. Oh, and also..."where's the start menu" is a popular one as well.

That relaunch is going to fall flat on it's face, starting Feb Win8 goes back to full price! how exactly is that going to help sales? and encourage more people to upgrade? me thinks MS didn't think things through on that one...

That relaunch is going to fall flat on it's face, starting Feb Win8 goes back to full price! how exactly is that going to help sales? and encourage more people to upgrade? me thinks MS didn't think things through on that one...

Just as a reminder: Windows 7 running at full price never stopped anyone. Vista running at full price never stopped anyone. Even XP running at full price didn't stop people.

Am I the only one who doesnt want/need touch controls on a desktop pc or laptop?

No, it's a very common complaint.

I don't believe just one source, I'm just bored of seeing the same Microsoft Defense Force members jumping to attention.

lol - that's funny, I was just thinking i HAVEN'T seen the usual suspects jumping in to defend Microsoft this time.

I was wondering if their contracts with Microsoft to push Windows 8 at all costs has run out, and they are out looking for new jobs now :)

I think MS need to seriously question the people behind Win 8. Actually, I think the powers that be, need to seriously question themselves as they allowed this to happen, following the mess with Vista marketing. Windows 8 could have been a huge success, a Windows 7 with enhancements plus the touch UI if required... instead they tried to tell the educated consumer what they need.

I am so happy that they failed. I really like MS hardware and software but i think they need this wake up call.

Windows 8 is all to do with trying to maintain an old business model that is no longer relevant.

Windows historically released new operating systems, with lots of new features whic required hardware upgrades (memory, CPU etc).

Hardware manufacturers were happy, Microsoft was happy, Users were happy.

The Windows matured. There aren't any new whiz bang features that people want. Vista tried to make everyone go out and spend more money by releasing a CPU/memory hungry O/S but with pretty much ZERO new features. It failed miserably.

Win 7 came along and was fast/clean and allowed everyone who had been suckered into Vista, and even those still running XP to upgrade to a fast and reliable OS with no problems.

Win 8 comes along, again trying to get people to spend more money by basically forcing people to buy new "touch" hardware (its worked in the past - right??)

Nope - sorry Microsoft, people don't want touch on their desktops/laptops. Its slow, cumbersome, error prone and they are quite happy with their exisiting hardware.

You've totally lost the plot, thinking you can take a mobile phone O/S with no ability to connect mouse/keyboard or high res multiple monitors and transplant that to a highly productive, intuitive, desktop environment.

Little wonder you have failed.

As above, the people at Microsoft who thought this up need to be sacked. Sinofsky is a good start, Now get rid of the rest of the deadwood.

I always find it amusing when someone mentions the success of Windows Phone considering Microsoft hasn't gained any market share in almost a year

I was going to buy the Lumia 920, but after seeing the issues with the O/S (reboots/lack of apps)and poor quality hardware (speaker noises, buttons that don't work), I've decided to give it a miss.

It's also a message to Microsoft about Windows 8, even though it no doubt works reasonably on a mobile phone, I'm not going to support it, due to the fact that they are trying to shove it down my (desktop/laptop) throat.

No Choice=No sale

Vista tried to make everyone go out and spend more money by releasing a CPU/memory hungry O/S but with pretty much ZERO new features. It failed miserably.

Vista had plenty of new features. It was fresh code, remember? There was nothing left in it from the XP codebase.

Win 8 comes along, again trying to get people to spend more money by basically forcing people to buy new "touch" hardware (its worked in the past - right??)

Windows 8 does no such thing. I have Windows 8 running on three devices. NONE of them are touch.

• Like 2

this is akin to guns kill people, forks make people fat, cars make people drive drunk. SMH... when will anybody take responsibility for their own faults and failures?

Well, shouldn't be too surprised, Adam and eve blame shifted too... :/ my bad.. MY Fault.. shame on me.... :laugh:

shame on MS

So wait, Microsoft was expecting that Windows 8 would only be a success if they could get the manufacturers on their side? Ok, that in itself can make sense, but if your whole plan relies on that then why not discuss the hardware guidelines with them so that an agreement can be reached? From the sounds of it such a discussion wasn't had and instead Microsoft thought the manufacturers would just roll with it.

sorry saw this post later. If PC makers can't turn a profit to make a touchscreen PC to run this... they won't make it. MS should have had a sit down dinner and tried to get some feedback

tumblr_lhrwomI6Ok1qdzpuq.gif

really I have't had any problems with Windows 8 and it's been fantastic for me. I have Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and I like them both. I don't even use metro apps and I like it.

I like it for the following reasons:

• faster then windows 7
  • the new explorer UI is way more user friendly as well as more logically laid out so you don't have stuff buried in menus and you can access items typically buried in menu>folder options right in the window.
  • the new file transfer dialog is much more informative.
  • the built in iso mount tool, no need for poweriso!
  • HYPER-V!
  • and some other bits-n-its in various places

Installing:

and it's very satisfying to go from inserting the pen drive into my USB port and turning the computer on and having a fully operational OS and happily playing on the desktop and running programs in less then 15 minutes.

Apologies for not responding as the notice went to my junk email folder for some reason

The same things were probably said of laptops years ago. "Oh no, we can't let "everyday people" have the ability to move their computers around!!!"

Funny, like any delicate piece of electronic equipment, people learned to handle them properly. Sure, if you're careless, you'll pay the price. Otherwise, not a big deal.

Have you seem some of the torture test the Surface has gone through? Hell, folks can get an OtterBox if they're that worried.

I disagree! I see a ton of busted screens from iPads to Android phones everyday - I've got around 60 clients right now and support almost 3k employees at any given time so I see quite a bit. People manage to break NON touch LCDs on laptops.

The surface is a different story, and it's also purpose built for that; Dell has the Latitude ATG edition with touch screen but we shall not go into the pricing to have a "tough" touch screen usable laptop PC.

How often do you seen busted kiosks? I've never seen any. My school has a couple dozen or so throughout campus. The local mall even has a few, and I've never seen one that was broken.

You're comparing expensive kiosks that are made to handle abuse to small laptops with delicate touch screens, not exactly the same thing. I see broken displays all the time around here, from cracks in the touch screens to stuff just not working right. I do live in Louisiana though! :woot: