24 posts in this topic

Posted

NASA solves 30-year solar puzzle with 5 minutes and $5 million

The full resolution image is from the solar active region, outlined in the upper left image. Below it are partial frame images

of the braided ensemble, an example of magnetic recognition and flaring, and fine stranded loops. A portion of a filament channel

is shown in the upper right image. (NASA)

Scientists have taken the highest resolution images of the sun

1 person likes this

Posted

That would make a great skybox texture for a new Doom game.

6 people like this

Posted

now that is really cool =]

Posted

and how would they know how hot the core of the sun is? This makes no sense. Unless they physcially measured the temprature inside the sun then I call this bs.Its like me looking at a lightbulb I cant reach and saying the surface is hotter than the core becuase I took very high resolution images.

Posted

5 million for that?

Posted

now that is really cool =]

No that's pretty hot actually. :D

1 person likes this

Posted

5 million for that?

Most of that money probably was for the launching it past the atmosphere.

Posted

and how would they know how hot the core of the sun is? This makes no sense. Unless they physcially measured the temprature inside the sun then I call this bs.Its like me looking at a lightbulb I cant reach and saying the surface is hotter than the core becuase I took very high resolution images.

Ah, so you're an astro physicist, and know all about how they measure these things.?

Posted

Most of that money probably was for the launching it past the atmosphere.

Yeah, sending things up to space isn't cheap.

Posted

Spectography and mathematics.

1 person likes this

Posted

still very cool that you can take a picture of the sun and see texture on it while just looking at it can hurt you.

Posted

The telescope was outside of the atmosphere for only five minutes before it returned to Earth.

Is anyone else confused by this statement? They launched a satellite that only flew for 5 minutes? Did it malfunction? Was it only supposed to last 5 minutes? If so, that seems like a huge waste of money.

The same way scientists can look at stars thousands of light-years away and be able to tell how big it is, whether it's a binary system, what it's made out of, and among many other things, how hot it is...math, trig, and physics.

Also, the photos solved the mystery of why the Sun's atmosphere is way hotter than the surface. Nothing about the article references the core.

Posted

Weather balloons are technically satellites, a satellite isn't necessarily in space. The earliest satellites where balloons used to transmit radio waves.

Basically the satellite in question was never launched even close to high enough to reach orbit, only to grout side the visually disturbing atmosphere. To get in orbit it would have cost 100 times just to launch, andthen the satellite would have had to be designed to actually stay in spaces well. Instead of just get there and take pictures and return. So it would have cost 100 times as much as well, maybe more.

This one did what they needed for cheap. And served as a technology tested for future in space technology/satellite. Replacing tests that would have cost at least a much.

Posted

To get in orbit it would have cost 100 times just to launch

Falcon 9 is only 50 odd million to orbit but still a lot more money.

Posted

Ah, so you're an astro physicist, and know all about how they measure these things.?

so you believe everything they say? They could be chatting rubbish but no one can prove it so everyone believes it.

Posted

Physics, Doppler Effect, mathematics. read up on it sometime. it's fascinating!

Posted

so you believe everything they say? They could be chatting rubbish but no one can prove it so everyone believes it.

Do the math and science, you can prove it yourself. Unless you don't believe in math and science of course.

Posted

but anyone can easily prove it using the facts i posted above.

Posted

Obviously all scientists and astro physicists are working together in a massive conspiracy to make us believe they know the temperature of the sun. Because... That would make so much sense.

Wy would they fake this info and why would they have a global conspiracy to hide it, and why would thousands of scientists be in on it. Way do they do to the ones who refuse....

Posted

Soldiers33 is just trolling. Nobody can be that daft.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes they can when it comes to nuclear energy and physics.

We also know because the sun is a giant thermonuclear reactor, and we have caused thermonuclear reactions on Earth (thermonuclear explosions, inertially confined fusion etc.) and measured the thermal output per cubic volume. Apply math.

Posted

Obviously all scientists and astro physicists are working together in a massive conspiracy to make us believe they know the temperature of the sun. Because... That would make so much sense.

Wy would they fake this info and why would they have a global conspiracy to hide it, and why would thousands of scientists be in on it. Way do they do to the ones who refuse....

No im not trolling im being serious and also what good would it do to know how hot it is and why its so hot? I see no reason for spending so much time and money just to find useless information.

Posted

How exactly do you expect us to achieve fusion reactors if we don't understand how fusion works.

Posted

5 million for that?

Yeah, that's extremely cheap isn't it, compared to other methods.