People Hate Windows 8 So Much They

Computer technician ripping off idiot consumers = Windows 8 hate?

No, People willing to spend that kind of money to downgrade = Windows 8 hate. Personally, whenever I see someone using 8 or considering a new purchase of one, I offer to put 7 on it for free. I'm not a computer tech as a job, but the last thing I want to deal with when it comes to friends and family is the problems 8 creates.

An optional service is not ripping people off... Windows licences and time cost money.

People are entitled to make a buck sure (ignoring the free downgrade rights you get with Windows 8...), but claiming somebody charging for their time equates to hatred? Puhleez. I've charged money to help with other non Windows operating systems.. by that "logic" people hate them too? Just another flavor of the month article.

I don't know if it's a ripoff, is this including a Windows 7 license? properly installing Windows/drivers and updates/etc

Does take a fair amount of time, sure a lot of it is hurry up and wait, the price tag is probably in line with them doing an

upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.

So if this includes the license, it's a super deal.

An optional service is not ripping people off... Windows licences and time cost money.

Sorry, but the price is totally nuts.

Glassed Silver:mac

It depends on where you live, but in Australia $125 would be quite reasonable. This is approximately the amount that I charge for a complete reinstall (as my time, as a consultant, is valuable) excluding software.

It takes time to backup all the data making sure nothing is missed, reinstalling Windows (with Downgrade rights in this case), installing the required software again (MS Office/Specific 3rd party), installing essential software that most people would need or use (MSE, Malwarebytes, Adobe Reader/Flash, Skype), restoring saved data, changing settings, installing drivers, installing updates, making sure everything is working properly and troubleshooting if necessary.

Not all of it can be done simultaneously, it takes several hours of on/off work on it. I can do other stuff while I'm waiting so I round it down based on approximately "2 hours" of actual work.

• Like 3

Wow ! Amazing to me and unfortunate. Personally W8 is the first OS since 98 that I've decided to not upgrade to. Whether you like Windows 8 or not IMO MS dropped the ball when they presented W8 to the public. They should of pushed W8 as an OS that is more user friendly for touch screen tablets and devices, and not an upgrade from Windows 7. I don't think it was fair or honest on MS part. I think too many of us that are tech savvy with computers don't realize how difficult it is for the general public to understand how this upgrade to W8 can be for users. I'm still trying to convince my 70 year old relatives to upgrade from Windows XP to W7 but they are also still using MSN as the only way they think they can access the internet ! It drives me nuts.

for saying truth?

People paid to get XP when 7 was released. proves a lot of things, right?

In all fairness, it is much more understandable when people want to stick with Windows 7 vs Windows 8.

Windows XP -> Windows 7 did not change THAT much to a general user. However, Windows 8 DOES.

And if they use Windows XP/Vista/7 at work, you are expecting people to learn and keep using two different UI paradigms. Using XP and work and 7 at home did not have much of a problem since most of the basic functionality has been around since Windows 95.

Sticking with Windows 7 is much more accepting than sticking with Windows XP unless you had a program that would not work in XP Mode.

Your an idiot then, sorry but its true. I am a computer tech and have installed win 8 on all my families computers now (girlfriend, her kids, my lad, my mum and dad and some friends), all I made sure of was that I gave them 10 minutes of my time just to keep reminding them of the corners - and that was it. They all love windows 8 now, especially being able to install any app they want from the store with no fear of it causing problems, it makes things very simple for them.

I bet you were the type of person who changed peoples windows xp start menu back to classic 'because of all the problems the new start menu created' hey? How many times have you setup a facebook page related to 'omg they changed it, we need 100,000 people for them to change it back'? Go on I bet you have ;)

Now you're just acting in opposite extreme fashion to the imagined one you thought he was.

He said he OFFERED, you don't know how he offered, maybe he offered to after they had tried Windows 8

and if they didnt like it he would put Windows 7 on, that's a pretty nice offer seeing as others seem to charge 125 dollars

To do the same thing.

Let me ask you, did you offer to install Windows 8 on all these computers you installed them on, or did you just force it on them?

PS: Get off your high and mighty horse there laddie.

Things don?t work the way they have for the past 20 years.

They would if windows 8 was an apple product :)

except that every Windows 8 OEM computer has downgrade rights meaning you don't have to spend a dime to downgrade