Compiling Android from source and flash it on the device.

HI guys, I currently have the samsung galaxy S3 running android 4.1. And since google have released the 4.2, can I download it, complie it and then flash it to the device that I have? (the steps are provided on the website of android).

To be honest, I dont think it will work 100%. Thats why I am asking .....

Please advise me.

thanks,

Pure AOSP builds probably won't have all of the device drivers your phone needs, nor will they have the Google experience apps (YouTube, Play Store, Maps ETC). Your best bet is to root the phone then go fishing on XDA-Developers to see if there are some custom roms.

HI guys, I currently have the samsung galaxy S3 running android 4.1. And since google have released the 4.2, can I download it, complie it and then flash it to the device that I have? (the steps are provided on the website of android).

To be honest, I dont think it will work 100%. Thats why I am asking .....

Please advise me.

thanks,

The steps on Android.com are strictly for the devices that are supported in the open source version of Android, which is currently just the Nexus devices and the Motorola xoom. Now you could try to follow them for your GSIII but the end result would not work due to missing drivers among other things.

Your best bet would be to visit XDA Developers' forum and find your phone and go from there.