• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#91 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• 3,527 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:08

Certainly an odd poll to post. I think it's a genuine one however it should have been worded better.

I use Windows products all day long at work and as my main PC at home. I do own an iPad and iPhone 4S. I've previously had two 4 iPods and 2 other iPhones. That said I still dislike Apple as a company. Then again, any company tends to be made worse by the actions of it's fan and foe base.

#92 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,277 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:39

I thought the poll wasn't the best, i do agree on the sentiments of if you don't like the title don't click the link or don't comment. However the poll i thought was a little negative from the get go "why do you hate apple", really it's only going to invoke a negative feel/attitude when you click into it, perhaps dislike would have been better.

For me Neowin is a technology site, i know they started from a Windows centric start convering Windows XP and the like, however i joined and have stayed a member because they cover so much more. Generally the comments are interesting and back the article up well. Neowin also boasts one of the best/helpful communities with many questions solved.

However i know lately there has been a problem, with members leaving and some polls on trying to clean up the trolling etc.. Generally with neowin there are natural cycles, so i stay as a member as i know it usually gets better.

I would say that it's tough to admit when your wrong, so props for apologising, we're all human and we all make mistakes, we all react to emotions. Lets move on and keep neowin moving on also,

#93 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,943 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:15

I guess always prepare your flame retardant suit and readying your flame shield are not the standard operating procedure for most neowinians...

#94 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:20

If you couldn't anticipate the topic deteriorating into a childish hater v.s. fanboy war, then. . .

#95 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,536 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:17

Personally, Scorpus, I didn't have a problem with the poll, I could see if for what is was, a poll.
Could it have been handled better, probably, but I don't blame you for that, it might have been better to disable commenting.
A few more options in voting, might have been good..
Unfortunately even when stated, flamebaiting is not allowed, there will always be people who will do so.
(Tho I'm sure someone might throw some freedom of speech claim if you did)

#96 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:22

I think its disgraceful that Scorpus even has to pull the article, then post an apology and his reasons why he did it.

Too many people with knee jerk reactions and faux outrage ruin the internet.

#97 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,489 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:01

I think its disgraceful that Scorpus even has to pull the article, then post an apology and his reasons why he did it.

Except it wasn't a 'faux outrage'. Publishing the poll as it was has to have been one of the daftest moves in the history of Neowin.

#98 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:17

It ought to be the case that people can calmly and sensibly post their opinions..but... Ya know, that's kinda naive.

#99 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,428 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:36

While some people overreacted (as indeed have people on the opposite side), many of us expressed our criticism in a mature and reasonable manner. Unfortunately a lot of people have come into this topic with predetermined responses not based on what people have actually posted here. And as already stated, Scorpus didn't apologise for posting the poll - he apologised for the outrage it caused.

This isn't about "knee jerk reactions" or "faux outrage" - there were plenty of legitimate reasons to be opposed to the poll and I think it is unfair to characterise the criticism the way you have. Unfortunately too many people would rather see this ordeal swept-under-the-rug rather than to learn from it. The issue isn't that it was Apple—though picking a hugely popular company obviously didn't help—but that the poll was incendiary, biased, uncharacteristic of Neowin and in violation of the community rules that members have to abide by.

Regardless of people's opinions, this topic was necessary for the healing process. Unless people are allowed to express their concerns these matters tends to become bigger issues down the line and locking critical topics (like the original topic) can create more problems than it solves, even though it is done with good intentions.

#100 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,947 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:46

Missed it but your write ups are usually pretty good and i'm sure this would have led to a decent article. Unfortunately to many people out there that defend faceless companies more than they defend their own families. Sad truth that they'll ruin everything for the rest of us.

#101 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:52

I was opposed to the article in question, not because I wanted to defend the company or anything else other than the poll question was asked in a biased way.

#102 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,383 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:54

I for one saw the poll results as quite interesting

Just wondering what you found interesting about the poll results? Like I said in the comments to the poll, anyone vaguely familiar with this site could have told you beforehand that a vast majority here hate Apple, and often it seems Apple users, as well. That's blatantly obvious going through the threads and (especially) article comments and even some members' signatures.

#103 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,093 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:57

While i can clearly see how the topic of the poll would have started a flame ware and definitely upset a lot of people especially with the current atmosphere of the forums. It just makes me wish more people had restraint, if something upsets you or you disagree with it. Just post rationally and do not attack people and go off. The poll could have been handled better, and perhaps the poll could still find a place as a forum post rather than a main page item.

#104 Exynos

Exynos

Android, Samsung & Windows expert

• 540 posts
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:57

Except it wasn't a 'faux outrage'. Publishing the poll as it was has to have been one of the daftest moves in the history of Neowin.

So by just asking a simple question, it's the daftest moves in the history of Neowin?

I would rather say wake up and get real.

Free speech and the ability to express our views on different things is something that should be allowed everywhere.

'Do you hate Apple' is a very simple and easy question. If you answer Yes, then we know you hate Apple and you might also give a reason why you hate Apple. If you don't hate Apple, then it would also be nice to hear the reasons why you are not hating Apple.

I don't see the fuss with this poll / question.

I think the fact is that Apple atm, is in a bad situation for what they are doing or how they are. And the Apple fans knows ALOT of peoples are bashing Apple for it and don't want to see their loved company gets trashed like this.

This is most likely one of the reasons why you wanted the poll / question to go away.

#105 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,489 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 28 January 2013 - 13:02

So by just asking a simple question, it's the daftest moves in the history of Neowin?

I would rather say wake up and get real.

Again - it wasn't the idea behind the poll I'm opposed to. It was how it was formulated which made it a very daft move.