chosing distributionl distribution debian pclinuxos fuduntu

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 OP jaroli.tamas

jaroli.tamas

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Ace with Android 2.3.6

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:38

Well. I installed Arch in VBox, with xfce and slim DM. My problem is slim doesnt start on startup eventought I already did the "systemctl enable slim.service" thing. Do you have any ideas?

#32 OP jaroli.tamas

jaroli.tamas

Neowinian

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:52

Sorry for double posting, I didn't find edit button.
My problem is I installed first lxdm and it worked, but its so ugly, so I decided to change to SLiM. I removed lxdm by pacman -Rs lxdm, then tried to install SLiM by pacman -S slim slim-themes archlinux-themes-slim, but it didn't work, cuz it didn't start automatically, only when I typed systemctl start slim.service. So I removed slim, then installed gdm, but the same happened. So I returned to lxdm, and tried to install a theme atleast, if its ugly. When I downloaded Allan Macrae's archlinux-lxdm-theme, extracted to /usr/share/lxdm/themes, and edited /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf with nano, modified the theme line to archlinux-lxdm-theme, then reboot, and an empty black screen was the result. I couldn't do anything (thanks god I did this in VBox). Then i tried to install the "standard" archlinux-lxdm-theme via pacman, it worked, but not properly. The only thing I got is a white screen with a textfield for username/password, language selection, keyboard layout selection, but not custom background, etc...
Do you have any idea for any sollution?
Or what DM do you suggest for me for arch? Qingy, XDM, KDM and WDM are excluded.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: and ofc I tried systemctl enable <servicename>.service on each.

#33 KaoDome

KaoDome

Neowinian

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:52

I just went through an installation of Arch in a VM.

After installing the system I update repositories info:
pacman -Syu

Installed an X server, a DE and SLiM (which is the one you want right? I don't actually use any, can't recommend there):
pacman -S xorg-server xfce4 slim

Since I was using VMware software I also installed visual and input Xorg modules for it: xf86-video-vmware and xf86-input-vmmouse. Check the Xorg wiki entry for more info. Afterwards, I enabled SLiM:
systemctl enable slim

Rebooted the machine and everything seems to be working, creating a non privileged user and log in was hassle free. Use useradd to create a new user and gpasswd to add it to several groups. After that login in a terminal as it and edit ~/.xinitrc to add or uncomment the line for your DE (in this case it was that exec startxfce4), because SLiM seems to use that to launch your session.

Afterwards you should see something like this: http://imgur.com/cvcDDIK

You may wish to install bash-completion and pkgfile for auto-completion and the later tells you which package provides the command you want to use if it's not installed. And now it's time to customize your thing, install some fonts (ttf-dejavu seems fine), a browser, office suite, etc.

Hope that helps.

#34 OP jaroli.tamas

jaroli.tamas

Neowinian

Posted 29 January 2013 - 13:31

I think, you misunderstood me ^^ xfce4 is working, also the autocompletion, etc. The only thing that isn't working is SLiM. I can start xfce by typing startxfce4 in terminal, but i wanna use slim as a login manager. And thats what isnt working, I wrote my problem above^^

#35 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 January 2013 - 13:40

The only way I have found the ideal distro was to try them.

Yep,
The only way to go is to try them. With as many as it sounds like you've tried, doesn't sound like anything satisfies you, which is about how it has always been with me also! :)

Then again, that's half the fun of using Linux!!

#36 KaoDome

KaoDome

Neowinian

Posted 29 January 2013 - 14:01

No idea why it shouldn't work, as long as it's installed and enabled it pops up in my VM.

Since you had lxdm installed and activated before, did you disable its service prior to uninstalling the package? If you didn't you wouldn't be able to enable SLiM without manually removing the symlink, or installing LXDM again and disabling it.

If that's the case the easier would be to:
# rm /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
# systemctl enable slim
# reboot

Other than that I don't know what could be happening.

#37 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 29 January 2013 - 14:10

So Jaroli what Distros have you tried so far then?

#38 OP jaroli.tamas

jaroli.tamas

Neowinian

Posted 29 January 2013 - 14:38

@KaoDome
Thanks, I will try this. :)
@Haggis
Now I'm trying the Arch linux :) I like its speed and simplicity :) Its a challange for me :) To install everything manually :D

#39 OP jaroli.tamas

jaroli.tamas

Neowinian

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:03

@KaoDome thanks, this solved my problem ^^