• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,430 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:09

Why must Apple always be so skimpy when it comes to storage or RAM ? :angry:

Because they know the same people who bought the previous models will pay a lot of money to get a little more hardware. I still have my original Asus transformer. Works great and never wanted to upgrade past that since it does what I need it to do.

Apple and others were getting their price points around the same with comparable products...now Apple is charging more for theirs...again. Seriously, they need to swap things up since the Surface Pro 128 is around the same price but you can do much much more with it.

Touch transformable tablet/laptop running Windows 8 for around $1000, or the new iPad with more storage and little else for $1000. Hmm hard decision.

#17 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,275 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:14

*sigh* The 16GB model shouldn't even exist, certainly not at that price point. :/ Why must Apple always be so skimpy when it comes to storage or RAM ? :angry:

I agree more storage would be nice, but why does it need more RAM? It's not slow or laggy, so adding more wouldn't improve anything.

Touch transformable tablet/laptop running Windows 8 for around $1000, or the new iPad with more storage and little else for $1000. Hmm hard decision.

The $1k model has cellular, so you can't compare it's price to the Pro which doesn't have it.

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,430 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:19

The $1k model has cellular, so you can't compare it's price to the Pro which doesn't have it.

Sure I can...they are competing products and competing products are always compared against each other.

#19 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:22

OH HAI GUYS. HAVE SOME MORE NON-EXPANDABLE STORAGE FOR A "MINIMAL" COST!

#20 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,275 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:25

Sure I can...they are competing products and competing products are always compared against each other.

You're comparing products used for different things. A tablet with cellular is obviously going to cost more than a tablet without.
Using your comparison, I would pick the iPad all day since you'd have internet access everywhere whereas the Pro does not.
Comparing the non-cellular $800 iPad to the Pro makes more sense and is a bit of a tougher choice.

#21 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:34

I agree more storage would be nice, but why does it need more RAM? It's not slow or laggy, so adding more wouldn't improve anything.

I dont know about the current model, but on my first generation iPad I sometimes notice the fact that it's RAM constrained to the point that apps are force-quit or Safari has trouble keeping even a single web page in its cache. It would definitely be advantageous for it to have more memory. Admittedly this was less of a deal on prior versions of iOS and, if I remember correctly, this model originally didn't even have support for multitasking, so memory requirements were naturally lower.

#22 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,430 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:36

You're comparing products used for different things. A tablet with cellular is obviously going to cost more than a tablet without.
Using your comparison, I would pick the iPad all day since you'd have internet access everywhere whereas the Pro does not.
Comparing the non-cellular $800 iPad to the Pro makes more sense and is a bit of a tougher choice.

Considering not everyone needs internet wherever they are, and a lot do not have unlimited data plans, then the comparison is fine. You can also ad on to the Surface from the phone company and have mobile data wherever you go since the Surface has connectivity that the new iPad does not....like USB. So since the iPad doesnt have USB, then using your guidelines, I still cannot compare them.

Competing products will not always have the same features and will not always be able to do the same thing. Companies produce something that the competition does not have to entice users to buy their products. IF all products must have the same features in order to be compared, then you cannot really compare any products out there since they are all a little different...different hardware/software.

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,275 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:42

I dont know about the current model, but on my first generation iPad I sometimes notice the fact that it's RAM constrained to the point that apps are force-quit or Safari has trouble keeping even a single web page in its cache. It would definitely be advantageous for it to have more memory. Admittedly this was less of a deal on prior versions of iOS and, if I remember correctly, this model originally didn't even have support for multitasking, so memory requirements were naturally lower.

That could also be attributed to a slower CPU. But yeah, iOS has had a lot of junk added over the years which is mostly optimized for the newer processors and memory, whereas the older models are mostly an afterthought.

Considering not everyone needs internet wherever they are, and a lot do not have unlimited data plans, then the comparison is fine. You can also ad on to the Surface from the phone company and have mobile data wherever you go since the Surface has connectivity that the new iPad does not....like USB. So since the iPad doesnt have USB, then using your guidelines, I still cannot compare them.

Competing products will not always have the same features and will not always be able to do the same thing. Companies produce something that the competition does not have to entice users to buy their products. IF all products must have the same features in order to be compared, then you cannot really compare any products out there since they are all a little different...different hardware/software.

All I was saying was what is the point of comparing the more expensive cellular model to the Pro, which doesn't have that expensive add-on? Why not compare it to the normal $800 model? It just sounded like you compared those 2 for the sake or price and nothing else. Is there even any proof that a Pro will be able to be used with a cellular provider? I haven't seen anything regarding that, so I'm asking that as a genuine question.

#24 Euphoria

Euphoria

--- eüphorïå ---

• 2,352 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:47

Nevertheless, they keep increasing the price and not bringing anything new.

No.. the price is still the same. This one is 128Gb... so doubled memory.
I dont think there is another tablet on the market with 128GB for $799 price.

#25 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,430 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:49

Is there even any proof that a Pro will be able to be used with a cellular provider? I haven't seen anything regarding that, so I'm asking that as a genuine question.

The Pro will be running full Win8 and will have USB access. So I dont see why I couldnt go to Verizon and get a USB adapter to have internet wherever I go. Granted, its a little different...but the outcome is the same.

#26 soulbro

soulbro

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:35

yeah, but it said "will be available in black and white" and I'd rather one that can do color, especially at that price :rolleyes:

#27 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,152 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:48

Nevertheless, they keep increasing the price and not bringing anything new.

They can't afford to make existing iPads (or iPods) with smaller storage capacities obsolete - which is EXACTLY what would happen if they increased storage capacities without increasing prices, which they could certainly do. (Look at pricing for both thumb drives and SSDs, the computer peripherals which are the mainstream users of flash memory - haven't both fallen to nearly magnetic-media pricing levels as of late?) If they did that, the EXISTING userbase would - understandably - scream bloody blue murder. However, they don't really HAVE anything else they can add to justify raising prices. Therefore, Apple - in this instance - is basically trapped.

#28 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,152 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:58

The Pro will be running full Win8 and will have USB access. So I dont see why I couldnt go to Verizon and get a USB adapter to have internet wherever I go. Granted, its a little different...but the outcome is the same.

And VZW *has* USB dongles that enable both laptops AND notebooks (or even a desktop, if you have a mind to) to use their network - I've set them up. (On Windows *Vista* x64 Home Premium - so why WOULDN'T such a device work on Windows 7, let alone 8?).

The issue comes down to device support by the operating system in question - nothing else. (Please - how many of you use *portable* wireless devices with desktops, as I've said flat-out I do? I'm the same guy that uses a Logitech V220 Wireless Mouse - the one that actually has "for Notebooks" on the packaging - on his desktop. My cousin the MD uses the SAME mouse on her ASUS Transformer Prime - which runs Android, not even WindowsRT, let alone 8.) Quibbling at best.

#29 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 23:05

Look at pricing for both thumb drives and SSDs, the computer peripherals which are the mainstream users of flash memory - haven't both fallen to nearly magnetic-media pricing levels as of late?

Not really.

#30 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• 4,109 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 29 January 2013 - 23:06

Sure wouldn't mind 128GB for the iPod Touch.