BlackBerry 10 unveiled

Some of you may already know this but today, RIM officially unveiled BlackBerry 10. They also rebranded themselves as BlackBerry.

Here are some links:

BlackBerry Z10 specs: http://ca.blackberry...ifications.html

BlackBerry Z10 gallery: http://ca.blackberry...ew.gallery.html

BlackBerry Z10 reviews:

The Verge: http://www.theverge....erry-z10-review

CrackBerry: http://crackberry.co...erry-z10-review

BlackBerry Q10 hands on:

The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3932766/blackberry-q10-hands-on

And some videos:

Looks fantastic, I fully support the idea that RIM are rebranding (Since everyone knows them as Blackberry here, I say RIM and people go "what?") and these phones look the part. Hopefully they'll shift a decent number of units!

Also in the embedded video where he says "The new Blackberry ZEE ten," I cringed. :p

Their method of predictive text looks really good.

It does indeed. It supports up to 3 languages and it can learn to better predict words you commonly use.

Looks fantastic, I fully support the idea that RIM are rebranding (Since everyone knows them as Blackberry here, I say RIM and people go "what?") and these phones look the part. Hopefully they'll shift a decent number of units!

Also in the embedded video where he says "The new Blackberry ZEE ten," I cringed. :p

It really does. The vocal minority that swore RIM would die are conveniently quiet right now. :D

All the Crackberry yuppies in my land are going zerg rush over this phone.

People have been waiting a long time for BB10. And if they're already a fan of BlackBerry, then chances are they're going to want a BB10 device. :laugh:

I'm shocked. I didn't expect a good release and now I want one. Great job RIM/BlackBerry.

As a former RIM employee I'm very impressed with the launch and hope RIM/BlackBerry can really continue to innovate with the new software.

Too bad about battery life, that's what makes my work issued bold 9930 so nice. The new z10 device also looks much nicer than the boring iPhone 5.

If audio quality performance isn't up to par with the iphone 4s/5, do no want. The z10 is refreshing versus the regular androids and iphones ( lumia 920 are pretty good design wise).

looks like a mish mash of ios and android, not a very impressive phone nothing innovative and specs are the norm, especially when next month we will see a whole bunch of new devices with better hardware, androids and 2nd gen wp8 devices. On the business side of thing they will be getting a good challenge going against Microsoft and Samsung partnership with wp8 for business. I think they will be in a very tough position before long and we will see them drop the hardware and try focus licensing there software.

Does it connect to 3G like a normal phone or still BIS? If it's BIS, **** RIM.

I would imagine is still uses BIS/BES. That has always been one of BB's strong points; secure communications, push. I hate it.

Wow this looks niiice. hope they get some good media apps and network testing apps!

If audio quality performance isn't up to par with the iphone 4s/5, do no want. The z10 is refreshing versus the regular androids and iphones ( lumia 920 are pretty good design wise).

From The Verge:

As I expected, call quality and general audio output (both earpiece and speaker) on the Z10 performed excellently. The sound was loud and clear with no distortion, and made talking on the phone (something I generally try to avoid) pleasant when it happened. I can't exactly recommend listening to music casually through the speakers on the Z10, but if you must, the sound reproduction is decent enough to hear most details.

I don't exactly know the call quality of the iPhone 4S/5 but I imagine it's either the same or better.

looks like a mish mash of ios and android, not a very impressive phone nothing innovative and specs are the norm, especially when next month we will see a whole bunch of new devices with better hardware, androids and 2nd gen wp8 devices. On the business side of thing they will be getting a good challenge going against Microsoft and Samsung partnership with wp8 for business. I think they will be in a very tough position before long and we will see them drop the hardware and try focus licensing there software.

Nothing innovative? They're doing something different. The usage of the OS is based on gestures which explains the lack of navigational buttons. That's something we haven't seen yet in other smartphone operating systems. The onscreen keyboard alone could be considered innovative because of its next-word prediction feature. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft, Apple, or Google added that feature to their respective operating systems.

Also, BlackBerry has a very good relationship with carriers. They're going to launch BB10 with major carriers in the US, Canada, and Europe. And that's with an OS that hasn't really been tested yet by the general public.

I'm hopeful that this will save BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM) so I'm not ready to count them out just yet. One thing that consumers should hope for is more competition. Remember when Apple changed the game back in 2007?

The new OS which borrows many things from iOS, Android, WP8, and Win8 :) ...

If those three sue RIM, they will go out of business the next day ....

I highly doubt any of those companies would sue BlackBerry.

I would imagine is still uses BIS/BES. That has always been one of BB's strong points; secure communications, push. I hate it.

It's so god damned slow!

Nothing innovative? They're doing something different. The usage of the OS is based on gestures which explains the lack of navigational buttons. That's something we haven't seen yet in other smartphone operating systems. The onscreen keyboard alone could be considered innovative because of its next-word prediction feature. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft, Apple, or Google added that feature to their respective operating systems.

Incorrect. Ubuntu's phone OS, shown off a few weeks ago, is entirely gesture based and has the same dock on the left, settings at the top etc. BB are copying again.

Incorrect. Ubuntu's phone OS, shown off a few weeks ago, is entirely gesture based and has the same dock on the left, settings at the top etc. BB are copying again.

Erm. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry 10 was designed long before the Ubuntu OS was shown off.

BB10's gestures were demoed long before we saw anything about Ubuntu for phones. On top of that it's laughable you actually seem to think BlackBerry only started developing this a few weeks ago.