Need Opera alternatives

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Slycer

Slycer

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:04

Hey guys.

For some time now I've been fed up with Opera and it's problems. Random crashes during use, crashes when I close it, the sync after it closes takes forever, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter don't display correctly, and the once blazing speed is gone too. And now a new unknown problem and I can't even open or uninstall it because of a memory leak that eats all my memory to the point that Windows becomes unresponsive.

I'm looking for an alternative. I'm currently using IE10 and love love love the speed. Everything works too. But I've always used Opera because of:

-mouse gestures (mostly for refresh, new tab)
-being able to switch between tabs with my mouse (combination of holding down the right button and scrolling)
-various keyboard gestures (ctrl+space = homepage, ctrl+tab switching between tabs)
-now being able to use AdBlock is a big plus too
-SpeedDial! love the speed dial feature, but I want to populate the dials with pages of my choice not have the browser make some bogus list

Does anyone have any idea which browser might fit the bill? Most important features I'm looking for are a customizable speeddial, speed, website compatibility, adblock, mouse gestures and customizable keyboard shortcuts. Chrome? I hear Firefox is far from old glory aswell, IE10 is great when it comes to speed and website compatibility but no adblock, lame speeddial, no mouse gestures. Safari maybe?

Thanks!

PS HURRAH for auto content save. IE threw me a bogus connection error and I though I lost everything I wrote.

#2 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40

You've mentioned every major browser in your post except Chrome - I am curious as to why....

#3 OP Slycer

Slycer

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:53

I mentioned Chrome!

Does anyone have any idea which browser might fit the bill? Most important features I'm looking for are a customizable speeddial, speed, website compatibility, adblock, mouse gestures and customizable keyboard shortcuts. Chrome? I hear Firefox is far from old glory aswell, IE10 is great when it comes to speed and website compatibility but no adblock, lame speeddial, no mouse gestures. Safari maybe?

And I'm using it now. Wasn't too fond of it's tracking abilities when I used it a few years ago so I wanted to download Chromium. But on their webpage i stumbled onto Chrome Canary and I installed it. Thoroughly impressed. Installed a great mouse gestures extension, Speed Dial 2 and AdBlock. Speed seems great, Facebook works as it should AFAIK, twitter too. Need to customize a few keyboard shortuts but all in all it looks great.

#4 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:54

Mistakenly Twice posted..

#5 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:54

Chrome is great. You can also enable the 'do not track' option in the settings

#6 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:57

I'd say fix your machine first before blaming Opera as I use it all the time, and have sinve version 5, and have NEVER had a crash or ANY of the things you mention!

#7 OP Slycer

Slycer

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:57

Maybe the post was saved, Zlip. I thought I had to rewrite my original post from scratch but Neowin saved a copy.

I'd say fix your machine first before blaming Opera as I use it all the time, and have sinve version 5, and have NEVER had a crash or ANY of the things you mention!

My machine is in topnotch condition.

#8 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:01

Maybe the post was saved, Zlip. I thought I had to rewrite my original post from scratch but Neowin saved a copy.

How to get saved copy back, it was very big post for me to write again.

#9 OP Slycer

Slycer

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03

How to get saved copy back, it was very big post for me to write again.

Try by going to Reply to this topic then at the bottom of the editor, where you type, there should be something regarding a saved copy. That Neowin saved a copy.

#10 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:06

Try by going to Reply to this topic then at the bottom of the editor, where you type, there should be something regarding a saved copy. That Neowin saved a copy.

Thanks for help buddy but I think I am doomed since can't manage to find it. Now have to write again whole answer.

#11 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:17

My machine is in topnotch condition.

Yeah, right!!

I can tell that by the fact your machine won't even let you use the simplest of all browsers correctly. :(

#12 OP Slycer

Slycer

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:21

I've been using Opera since it was a payable application. Always told people it's the best browser around. Go check out their forums and do a search for website compatibility with Twitter, Facebook, Gmail and so forth and keep your worthless suggestions to yourself. While you're at it, do a search for RAM consumption and memory leaks. Yeah, I'm the only one with these problems. Give me a break. Opera has been going downhill for me since version 11.

#13 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:26

I've been using Opera since version 5.04, supported by ads also, and it still works flawlessly for me.

Yep, I tell people it's the best out of the box also and install it on everyone's computers that I touch.

My Opera works just great on any site I visit and I don't give a crap about Facebook or Twitter anyway! Works perfectly with Gmail though.

My Opera is using all of 86K memory right now. Whew! Almost out of memory, better shut 'er down!!

You think your machine is top notch, then fine. If you're happy with it, rock on!! :)

With the list of browsers that you've used and either don't like or don't do what you want them to, then you're SOL as far as any other browser to use as an alternative then!

#14 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:31

Yep, I tell people it's the best out of the box also and install it on everyone's computers that I touch.

Remind me to not let you anywhere near my computers and devices. :p

#15 Roguefoxx

Roguefoxx

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:31

I've been using Opera since version 5.04, supported by ads, also and it still works flawlessly for me.

My Opera works just great on any site I visit and I don't give a crap about Facebook or Twitter anyway! Works perfectly with Gmail though.

My Opera is using all of 86K memory right now. Whew! Almost out of memory, better shut 'er down!!

You think your machine is top notch, then fine. If you're happy with it, rock on!! :)

Pretty sure this topic doesn't have to do with your experience with Opera, but his. He's looking for alternatives, not your life experience with Opera.

I'd recommend Chrome, it fits your bill.