Photo

Why I'm Not Upgrading (Software and Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 17:40

I noticed a fairly decent performance boost when I updated from an old AM2 / DDR2 board with same CPU as I have now (PII 965) and 1066MHz RAM / AMD 6850, to CHVF / DDR3 2133MHz (@1840MHz) and an AMD 7870

But saying that, my brother has pretty much the same setup as I used to have only he has upgraded to an nVidia 6xx series GPU and he can play exactly the same games as me and gets better FPS

GPU is the biggest boost for gaming upgrades if you already have a mid range system

#17 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,848 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 17:44

A sandy bridge at 3.0 Ghz (dual core) will perform far, far, far better than an old Pentium dual core at the same speed. It's not just about clock numbers.

#18 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,864 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:30

i agree with the OP.
ppl where saying things like "future proof", but honestly, if it does the job you need it to do, then its fine......and more importantly does it well.
there is more to life that chips and plastic

#19 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:47

This should last me quite a while:

System Name: RemixedBeast
Processor: Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3
Cooling: Coolemaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory: 16GB Corsair XMS3
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 650Ti 1GB
Hard Disk: 1.5TB Seagate/128GB Samsung 840
Optical Drive: None
CRT/LCD Model: Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + LG Flatron 19in Widescreen 1440x900
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two
PSU: 620w Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M
Software: Windows Server 2012 x64 Standard

USB3.0:

USB 3.0 is a major upgrade for storage speeds as well as wireless LAN speeds. Those new 802.11ac routers are gonna need an 802.11ac USB adapter that's USB 3.0 to take advantage of those .ac speeds. USB 2.0 can not handle Gbps wireless. so to those that say USB 3.0 is worthless are wrongasaurus rex. The manufacturers that released adapters on USB 2.0 and brand them as 802.11ac fail with that. That's false advertising.

Windows 8/Server 2012:

Made even better for and on SSDs. much faster then windows 7 is. Installed in less than 15 minutes. Boots up in 12 seconds. I had it up for 60 days without a reboot and it felt fast as first boot.

#20 insanelyapple

insanelyapple

Neowinian

• 761 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:59

Mr Spoon, from Pleasantville in UK - this reminds me storyline of the movie - especially in the context of your first post.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,286 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:05

USB-3 - great but everything of mine is either USB1 or 2, so no real gains there.
SandyBridge - I don't even know what that is!
Processor Speeds - Are about the same.
SSD - Still too expensive for what they are.
Windows 8 - Built for touch screens really.

USB3,- as has been said, while your current equipment doesn't benefit, if you have USB 1 stuff, you definitely should upgrade. new USB sticks dirt cheap for USB3 ones, external hard drives for backup that doesn't take forever. memory card readers to empty your camera memory card.
SandyBridge - it's a chipset/cpu technology. Basically it means you have the latest generation reallt fast CPU. and they are MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than your 4+ year old CPU. don't look at clock speed or amount of cores, that means NOTHING.
Processor speeds - see above, definitely not even close to about the same.
SSD - expensive yes, I don't have one myself yet. but they can be head for cheap and you don't need to get an SSD right away, you can upgrade to that later. they do offer significant performance increases for startup and all HDD intensive tasks though
Windows 8 - NO, it's not built for touch screens, it buitl to work and work great on touch screen and with M/KB. in fact many parts of the Start screen work better with a mouse and keyboard, other parts they're just the same. so in general it actually works better with a mouse and keyboard, and it's a better and more efficient and organized way to launch and organize your apps.

Thanks for your input.
USB 3 is the future, I agree but when I have very little that uses it, then it will just be a bit of fun. My memory sticks are all fine and I don't see myself throwing away the external hard drives any time soon either. My digital camera is probably USB1 and still works brill - I tend to take care of my technology :)

Dual core, triple core, whatever core, the difference between my first PC (single core) and the second (dual core) wasn't that noticeable in the grand scheme of speeds. However I know SSD would improve this greatly but something irks me about putting brand new tech with an older system.

Not an anti-windows 8 fanboy, certainly not. I am glad they are pushing through with their OS despite the negativity and slow uptake. From what I have experienced, how it was first marketed (certainly in the UK) and the complete difference in how one would use it as it's meant to be, I am just of the opinion it was built for touch screen devices and would be more at home on one.

Seriously, if your camera is USB 1, you should upgrade the camera as well for many other reason than just USB1. that reminds me of peopel who come in with their old HP cameras with a 1 inch screen, and fat body and taking pictures at 640x480 and saying "camera works great and takes good pictures". obviously they never seen the pictures from another digital camera made in the last 10 years, or seen the pictures on anything but a 14 inch CRT.

Besides that, you don't need the camera to be USB 3 to benefit, get a USB3 card reader.

Again, the amount of cores isn't what you should focus on, neither is the frequency. though between single and dual core you would notice a big difference in the ability to multi task, if you where to go back to a single core cpu now, I think you'd find that the difference is a LOT bigger than you remember :)

as I said before, no it wasn't built for touch screens, it was built for both.

Remember you don't need to get the best and greatest, for high end gaming rigs an i5 is enough, i7's are only needed for video and 3D render rigs or other similar high intensity cpu tasks. For you a 3rd gen i3 would offer you many times the performance you have now, so if you aim for a cheaper i3 and combine it with an SSD, your daily computing would fly and be butter smooth and feel like the computer is doing stuff before you tell it to compared to your current old rig.

#22 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:18

Thanks for your input.
USB 3 is the future, I agree but when I have very little that uses it, then it will just be a bit of fun. My memory sticks are all fine and I don't see myself throwing away the external hard drives any time soon either. My digital camera is probably USB1 and still works brill - I tend to take care of my technology :)

It does not matter that what you have doesnt use it because 99% of what you will buy in the future will be USB3. From phones, to cams, to printers, etc.

Dual core, triple core, whatever core, the difference between my first PC (single core) and the second (dual core) wasn't that noticeable in the grand scheme of speeds. However I know SSD would improve this greatly but something irks me about putting brand new tech with an older system.

Technically you shouldnt notice it. You will notice it when doing things like multitasking which can use one or two cores at the same time

will it speed up browsing facebook faster? :)

If it's JS AJAX intensive... Then yes :p

Fixed.

they never seen the pictures from another digital camera made in the last 10 years, or seen the pictures on anything but a 14 inch CRT.

Im sorry but I still see better CRTs than LCDs. LED screen are "getting there" but there is nothing better for color reproduction than a CRT.

I believe they will be near equal when OLED displays come out.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,286 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:23

Im sorry but I still see better CRTs than LCDs. LED screen are "getting there" but there is nothing better for color reproduction than a CRT.

I believe they will be near equal when OLED displays come out.

Except a proper high quality LCD/LED(they're the same thing, in fact an LCD is BETTER than an LED in general, unless it's high end back lit) will have a higher color gamut than your CRT.

#24 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,093 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6 JB

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:32

OP
Your right, most of your things don't need upgrading, but I would highly suggest one from that list.
A SSD.
I have recently put a SSD in my 6 year old Asus Laptop and gave it a good clean out recently and I can honestly say it has given it a new lease of life.
Programs are snappier, and everything just works on it lighting quick.
Yeah some can be expensive, but there are also alot of quality 128GB SSDs out there. Put Windows 7 on that, keep your current one as a data drive, and be amazed at what will be the best thing you could ever do for you PC.

#25 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,642 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:42

I have Sandy Bridge equipment. It's just a naming scheme, it is also blazing fast.

#26 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

• 2,162 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:27

i went from an old athlon x2 3200+ 2 gig ram wih a ati x1600, to a core i5 8gig ram and a gtx470 2 years ago and the jump was bloody massive, not sure if i would notice much of a jump now to the later i5/7's though

#27 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 12,778 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:43

Except a proper high quality LCD/LED(they're the same thing, in fact an LCD is BETTER than an LED in general, unless it's high end back lit) will have a higher color gamut than your CRT.

LCD and LED are the same thing ?!

Posted Image

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,286 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:48

LCD and LED are the same thing ?!

Posted Image

As far as how the picture is generated yes.

a LED monitor is a LCD monitor with LED backlights, either crappy sidelit LED, which has far worse PQ than LCD, since you get light bleeding and ghosting, especially around the corners. for high end image editing workstation monitors, either standard CFL backlit LCD's are used, or LED Backlit LCD's are used, the highest end ones, as I said, use local dimming blackit LEDs. Many of the best ones are in fact FCL backlit though.

so yes, the image part of LCD and LED monitors are the same thing, LED's are just thinner, and because of that also worse due to the PQ defects the diffuser plate adds to the uneven backlight.

#29 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 12,778 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:39

As far as how the picture is generated yes.

a LED monitor is a LCD monitor with LED backlights, either crappy sidelit LED, which has far worse PQ than LCD, since you get light bleeding and ghosting, especially around the corners. for high end image editing workstation monitors, either standard CFL backlit LCD's are used, or LED Backlit LCD's are used, the highest end ones, as I said, use local dimming blackit LEDs. Many of the best ones are in fact FCL backlit though.

so yes, the image part of LCD and LED monitors are the same thing, LED's are just thinner, and because of that also worse due to the PQ defects the diffuser plate adds to the uneven backlight.

True, until we have real LED monitors and not just LED backlit... At the moment, every tv/monitor sold, manufacturers should obligatorily say LED backlighting

#30 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:54

No, it's not like the 90s, where you'd buy a processor one day and a year later it couldn't even run some applications, but to say there's no point in upgrading is a bit silly.

That said, for day to day use my older Core 2 Macbook and my new i5 desktop are basically the same, as I can put 4+ Gbs of RAM and an SSD in each of them.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!