Latest/Greatest way to ecrypt with PHP

Question

10 answers to this question

Why are you encrypting passwords? Does it need to be reversible?

If you are storing the users login details try salting and hashing your passwords instead - SHA1

More details would help I guess haha. It is an Admin username and password stored in a database. The admin has to enter the username and password when logging into the control panel. I want to save that password as securely as possible. I'm completely new to this and there are many options online, and I need some guidance.

Why are you encrypting passwords? Does it need to be reversible?

If you are storing the users login details try salting and hashing your passwords instead - SHA1

i will look into this! Thank you!

Could someone post a good tutorial? It's confusing trying to pin down the information that i need. There are seriously so many options, and old posts. Im really don't know what is the newest and safest thing to use!

I'd use a pre-built solution that's been tested, the good ones will use something secure (HMAC-SHA256, bcrypt, etc.) and you won't have to worry about doing something wrong and accidentally opening a flaw into your system.

Use crypt().

if (CRYPT_BLOWFISH == 1) {
crypt($password, $salt);
}
[/CODE]

It's one way (as it should be), so you'll need to store the salt somewhere, preferably generating a random one for each user than saving it in the database with the user's record. Then when the user logs in with a username and password, you can lookup the user by username, then:

[CODE]
if ($stored_password === crypt($entered_password, $stored_salt))
{
user_login();
}

[/CODE]

Note that in the documentation for crypt() they show how to check for various encryption methods if blowfish isn't available.

• Like 2

Hey all,

What's the best/safest way right now to encrypt a password to store into a MySQL database?

Depends on what you are encrypting!

My strategy for saving PII (Personal Identifiable Information) or PAN (Private Account Number) would be much different than just a Username / Password combination where the user cannot be identified.