apple iphone

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,526 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:36

I am proud that we have such loyal fans. But this loyalty is not given, the need to have the best products is always there. Currently we are in my opinion somewhat behind with features in the smartphone business. Others have caught up. Samsung is a big competitor. But precisely because they are currently making great products.

More here: http://www.macrumors...in-smartphones/

I'm really starting to like this guy. They should hire him back at Apple.

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,744 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:40

Woz never did play into the Jobs Distortion Field. For that, I give all the kudos in the world.

#3 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,395 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:42

That's what happens when manufacturers are forced to adapt or potentially go out of the smartphone business. I'm glad companies like BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM), Samsung, and Nokia are doing their best to make great products. Apple changed the game back in 2007 and it's time for them to really try their best with the next iPhone.

#4 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:45

he never left apple

#5 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:48

I can't stand Apple but what "features" are they behind in?

The only thing I can think of is NFC, maybe wireless charging?

#6 Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• 1,538 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:59

I know he mentioned a hardware vendor (i.e. Samsung, rather than Google/Android) but perhaps he's referring to software (iOS) rather than hardware features. I'd really like to see some sort of adaptation of Android's Defaults and Intents features in the next version of iOS more than anything else.

#7 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:24

Woz is an engineer. He loves to tinker. So him loving a smartphone OS like Android is a no-brainer, if for no other reason than to dick around with it.

#8 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,051 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:29

Woz is an engineer. He loves to tinker. So him loving a smartphone OS like Android is a no-brainer, if for no other reason than to dick around with it.

The Woz - Engineer
Jobs - Salesman

They needed each other, the rest is history.

#9 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 586 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:25

I haven't read the article, so I'm not going to claim Woz said anything of what I'm about to say. This post is 100% my personal opinion.

Their OS, while stable (relatively speaking) and fast (again, relatively speaking), reminds me more of a dumbphone OS. The home screen is bland, save for the subtle 3D effect of the app bar. There's no evidence, beyond the "widgets" in the notification bar, that you're running a smartphone OS when you look at the home screen of iOS.

Also, their year-on-year innovation is lacking, to put it politely. I have an iPhone 4 (which I got from eBay to have a usable phone as my Xperia arc degraded into uselessness to the point where it was unable to answer calls because the slider was unresponsive), and in March when it's time for me to upgrade, I have to ask myself: What's new in iPhone 5 to warrant me locking myself to it for 24 months?

As far as I know, the only things I would gain is the ability to talk to Siri (which, to me, is more of a gimmick that I would soon stop using) and an extra line of apps on my primary home screen. I do not play games on my phone, and while the extra half an inch is nice to have (that is what she said), if I am buying a new phone to improve my mobile browsing experience (which I am) then why would I settle for a 4" screen when I can buy a whalephone running Android?

LTE/4G & higher screen resolution is a moot point because I would gain both those things from buying an Android phone as well.

iOS 6 didn't even nudge the boat, much less rock it, in terms of providing a fresh look for iOS. Sure, "it doesn't need an UI refresh" you might say. That, like most things, is highly subjective. I definitely think that Widgets / Live Tiles are the future of mobile OSes (WP8 goes OTT with that concept though, IMO, which is one reason why I'm currently not considering a WP for my next purchase). I currently see no evidence that Apple is going to embrace this in a future update of iOS, considering the complete lack of visual changes found in iOS 6 vs. iOS 5.

I apologise if I have missed anything obvious with the iPhone 5 and thus come off as a troll, it is not my intention, and I would very much welcome any corrections on the subject :)

#10 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,391 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:47

Apple leaped so far ahead of the competition when they released the iPhone. I would argue the 3Gs also was quite a jump.

Since then? More incremental changes... Which is fine if the other players weren't doing what apple used to do, innovating. I don't want to go so far as suggesting that every Android / WinPhone development is akin to the major leaps Apple makes when it makes them, but apple seems to have stopped making them, and they are smaller and smaller.

As such, apple are now playing catch up.

With that in mind, I have no idea where smartphones will go. I mean, we have reached a level - sure better batteries, faster connections, etc - but that's not innovation, it's refinement.

#11 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,008 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:53

I am not sure what most people mean when they say "fall behind". What is behind exactly? For comparison, i tried out a new android for a week and hated it. i am not sure you can say "behind" when you are so far ahead in most areas.

Some points where Android is ahead:

Screen Size: Android
Widgets: Android

That's it from my view. In all other areas the iphone for me is just simply superior in the way that i use the phone. Auto-correct, menu flow, less-is-more feel, face-time (drastically better), battery life (in MOST cases), retina screen sharpness, app variety, app finish, app store, and on and on and on. If apple gave an option of a bigger screen i would love it to have a 4-5" screen. And maybe widget options. other then that, why do so many people say its "old", what will new do better?

#12 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,391 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:57

Of course you hated it. You seem like a iPhone user from what you said. Changing from one OS to another always come with some discomfort.

I'm not gonna bother with the laundry list of areas you feel the iPhone is better on a case-by-case basis; some I agree on, some are simply preference.

#13 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:58

I think the fact that I've forgotten most of the features of my iPhone is precisely why it's so good.

#14 Exynos

Exynos

Android, Samsung & Windows expert

• 545 posts
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:00

I am not sure what most people mean when they say "fall behind". What is behind exactly? For comparison, i tried out a new android for a week and hated it. i am not sure you can say "behind" when you are so far ahead in most areas.

Some points where Android is ahead:

Screen Size: Android
Widgets: Android

That's it from my view. In all other areas the iphone for me is just simply superior in the way that i use the phone. Auto-correct, menu flow, less-is-more feel, face-time (drastically better), battery life (in MOST cases), retina screen sharpness, app variety, app finish, app store, and on and on and on. If apple gave an option of a bigger screen i would love it to have a 4-5" screen. And maybe widget options. other then that, why do so many people say its "old", what will new do better?

What are iOS superior over Android in?

You say Auto-Correct?

Have you tried some of the 3rd party keyboards from Play Store that is all customizable to fit your need best?

Menu-flow you say. Have you tried Android 4.2.1?

I would also say less is more boring. Things that can't do a damn thing gets really boring very fast.

FaceTime is alright, but only from iOS to iOS device witch means your very limited.

The battery life on my Samsung Galaxy Note are much much better than you ever would dream of getting off an iPhone when you take into consideration how much more a Galaxy Note can do over what an iPhone can do at the same time.

It doesn't really help to have a sharp retina screen when the screen are so small that you have to concentrate more on what you are seeing on the screen. I'll take a 5.3 inchscreen with 1280x800 in resolution witch is 285 DPI ANY day over a tiny 4 inch screen with 640 x 1136 pixels resolution (326 DPI). The differences in the DPI from 285 to 326 are not noticable before you you zoom into the screen with a powerfull magnifying glass.

The app variety is good on iOS, but the app finish isn't really that good in iOS, simply because the back button are placed all over the places with makes it irritating for alot of users. On stock Android on a Nexus 4 for example, then the back button are placed at one permanent place. Yeah you know what i'm talking about here.

#15 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,322 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:06

What are iOS superior over Android in?

Smoothness.
Simplicity.
Battery life.

Android is ahead in raw features, but I prefer the iOS experience.