The Woz: We've Fallen Behind in Smartphones

apple iphone

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#16 Exynos

Exynos

Android, Samsung & Windows expert

• 545 posts
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:16

Smoothness.
Simplicity.
Battery life.

Android is ahead in raw features, but I prefer the iOS experience.

Android 4.2.1 is as smooth or maybe smoother as iOS 6 is.

Simplicity is a good thing to some points, but when it gets way to simple like iOS is, then the OS rather gets really annoying and boring.

No iPhones beats my Galaxy Notes battery life. Or even a Galaxy Note 2 for that matter.

EDIT: This Norwegian guy have made this playlist witch explains all in good details why the user experience on iOS is REALLY bad and dull.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=view_all

See it for your self. And i don't know anyone that have seen those videos that have claimed that the user experience is better on iOS over Android after watching them.

#17 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,892 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:20

What are iOS superior over Android in?

You say Auto-Correct?

Have you tried some of the 3rd party keyboards from Play Store that is all customizable to fit your need best?

Menu-flow you say. Have you tried Android 4.2.1?.

I did try a couple of the 3rd party ones, the thing for me that i was meaning is with my iphone, you don't need to hunt one down that works for you, the built in default for me works best. I don't like the largish keyboards that come with Andriods or the older winndows phones. Seems too cluttered (subjectively in my eyes). The version i had tried was ICS.

#18 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:20

Simplicity is a good thing to some points, but when it gets way to simple like iOS is, then the OS rather gets really annoying and boring.

No iPhones beats my Galaxy Notes battery life. Or even a Galaxy Note 2 for that matter.

As someone whos used both, it's really not. The launcher might be smooth but the overall experience is better on IOS.

#19 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,892 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:24

EDIT: This Norwegian guy have made this playlist witch explains all in good details why the user experience on iOS is REALLY bad and dull.

See it for your self. And i don't know anyone that have seen those videos that have claimed that the user experience is better on iOS over Android after watching them.

Instead of watching, some of us actually tried hands on. A lot of IOS users PREFER the less complicated and fancy way. We don't need to have her have blonde hair and big boobs. A brunette to some is more desirable. :)

#20 Exynos

Exynos

• 545 posts
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:27

I did try a couple of the 3rd party ones, the thing for me that i was meaning is with my iphone, you don't need to hunt one down that works for you, the built in default for me works best. I don't like the largish keyboards that come with Andriods or the older winndows phones. Seems too cluttered (subjectively in my eyes). The version i had tried was ICS.

Try Smart Keyboard Pro. It's customizable like hell. You can even set the Key height of the keyboard in portrait and landscape mode there.

Try it, you will love it.

Instead of watching, some of us actually tried hands on. A lot of IOS users PREFER the less complicated and fancy way. We don't need to have her have blonde hair and big boobs. A brunette to some is more desirable. :)

Anyone should watch those videos, because it tells the truth. And you can't even deny my words before you have seen it your self.

Watch them and come back and tell me exactly where the user experience on iOS is better than Android.

What you see from your own experience don't change the fact about the user experience in Android that is explained good in the videos in that playlist.

#21 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,911 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:30

I've always said that iPhone is for folks that find smartphones complicated. Thanks for confirming my thoughts :)

#22 Exynos

Exynos

• 545 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:32

As someone whos used both, it's really not. The launcher might be smooth but the overall experience is better on IOS.

Where is the user experience better in iOS over Android?

Explain what makes is so much better in iOS over Android?

Just because Android can lag some very few times doesn't make the total user experience worser in Android just because of that.

#23 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:32

I have an iPhone 5, an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I previously had a Galaxy S3 which I gave to my fianceé. iOS is a lot smoother than Android. It is most noticeable when scrolling, zooming and panning around.

The Note 2's battery is like twice the size of the iPhone's so it's hardly surprising battery life is superior. If you compare a phone with a battery roughly the same capacity as the iPhone battery, you will find that iOS uses less power. I think this is probably because of the limited multitasking and the control that Apple has over the software.

#24 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:37

I've used both operating systems extensively. I had a HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S2, S3 and now an iPhone 5. Also have a Nexus 7 and iPad 2.

I prefer iOS. Sure, there are some cool features in Android but none that I really miss. I'd rather have a smooth experience and decent battery life. I can leave everything on on my iPhone (Bluetooth, WiFi, etc) and it doesn't really affect battery life much, whereas I used to have to enable/disable things when required on Android. I actually invested in NFC Tags and Tasker to simplify the process of toggling settings, but I don't have to do any of that on iOS. "It just works" springs to mind, although that is a cheesy marketing slogan :p

#25 Exynos

Exynos

• 545 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:39

I have an iPhone 5, an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I previously had a Galaxy S3 which I gave to my fianceé. iOS is a lot smoother than Android. It is most noticeable when scrolling, zooming and panning around.

The Note 2's battery is like twice the size of the iPhone's so it's hardly surprising battery life is superior. If you compare a phone with a battery roughly the same capacity as the iPhone battery, you will find that iOS uses less power. I think this is probably because of the limited multitasking and the control that Apple has over the software.

Again, way to limited. If you want to use your battery up in 2 hours, you should be able to do it.

My battery time can lasts for ages on my Galaxy Note, but if i want, i can drain the battery in like 2 hours if i want. You can do the same on laptops. It's all up to you to choose what you want to do.

Oh also, i'll guess you see the reason why we also want more bigger phones?

Because the bigger the phone is, the bigger battery you can fit. Witch makes good battery times. Witch makes it good.

#26 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,892 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:40

I've always said that iPhone is for folks that find smartphones complicated. Thanks for confirming my thoughts :)

if using android makes you feel smarter, by all means, use it.
Posted Image

#27 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:42

Again, way to limited. If you want to use your battery up in 2 hours, you should be able to do it.

My battery time can lasts for ages on my Galaxy Note, but if i want, i can drain the battery in like 2 hours if i want. You can do the same on laptops. It's all up to you to choose what you want to do.

Oh also, i'll guess you see the reason why we also want more bigger phones?

Because the bigger the phone is, the bigger battery you can fit. Witch makes good battery times. Witch makes it good.

My phone drops about 5-8% battery every ten or so minutes playing "The Simpsons: Tapped Out" which is hardly a graphically intensive game. I could easily drain the battery in two hours on that :p

The iPhone's multitasking makes little difference to most users but uses much less battery. They made some wise decisions by implementing push notifications rather than allowing apps to run amok in the background. I can have push everything on, bluetooth on, wifi on, and still easily have 50% left at the end of the day. Battery life is superb and all of this is on a battery half the size of the latest Android behemoths.

#28 Exynos

Exynos

• 545 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:42

I've used both operating systems extensively. I had a HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S2, S3 and now an iPhone 5. Also have a Nexus 7 and iPad 2.

I prefer iOS. Sure, there are some cool features in Android but none that I really miss. I'd rather have a smooth experience and decent battery life. I can leave everything on on my iPhone (Bluetooth, WiFi, etc) and it doesn't really affect battery life much, whereas I used to have to enable/disable things when required on Android. I actually invested in NFC Tags and Tasker to simplify the process of toggling settings, but I don't have to do any of that on iOS. "It just works" springs to mind, although that is a cheesy marketing slogan :p

Yes there are some cool features in Android. But why can't we have suchgood features in iOS when they wont even be in the way for those who doesn't want to use those features?

Why limit an OS so much when you know Apple can do things easy even if they add many more good features?

#29 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:44

Yes there are some cool features in Android. But why can't we have suchgood features in iOS when they wont even be in the way for those who doesn't want to use those features?

Why limit an OS so much when you know Apple can do things easy even if they add many more good features?

Why do you want iOS to be like Android when Android exists?

iOS is different to Android. This is a GOOD thing, because it gives users a choice.

iOS is meant to be simple for anybody to use and it accomplishes this pretty well. Android is more of an enthusiast/tinkerer OS.

I don't see why anybody would want either OS to be more like the other. It feels like childish competitiveness.

#30 Exynos

Exynos

• 545 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:47

My phone drops about 5-8% battery every ten or so minutes playing "The Simpsons: Tapped Out" which is hardly a graphically intensive game. I could easily drain the battery in two hours on that :p

The iPhone's multitasking makes little difference to most users but uses much less battery. They made some wise decisions by implementing push notifications rather than allowing apps to run amok in the background. I can have push everything on, bluetooth on, wifi on, and still easily have 50% left at the end of the day. Battery life is superb and all of this is on a battery half the size of the latest Android behemoths.

The multitasking is way to limited to even be called multitasking.It's called the "Pause Mode" in alot of situations.

Search up a good detailed explaination on YouTube that cantell you why the multitasking in iOS is a dumb multitasking compared to Android's multitasking.

And when we talks about multitasking. Have you seen the crazy good multiview functionality the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note and Note 2 have?

There you have true multitasking my friend :) .

Why do you want iOS to be like Android when Android exists?

iOS is different to Android. This is a GOOD thing, because it gives users a choice.

iOS is meant to be simple for anybody to use and it accomplishes this pretty well. Android is more of an enthusiast/tinkerer OS.

I don't see why anybody would want either OS to be more like the other. It feels like childish competitiveness.

Do iOS have to be like Android just because we want Apple to add more good and handy features to iOS?

Apple doesn't have to make widgets in the same way as Android does it. They can do it in their own good way.

Doesn't hurt to have more good features added in iOS as long it doesn't comes in the way for those who doesn't want to use those features.