Photo

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want the start menu in Windows 8

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#376 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:47

What is your excuse about the All Apps section? I have seen readme's shortcuts to websites, and other things in there. With Windows 7, they were all neatly tucked away in folders. Some programs put it in a sub-folder labeled Additional Resources. But.....now they are always visible when I go to All Apps.

Exactly

Posted Image

#377 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:49

Explained ^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

A picture tells millions of words ;)

#378 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,799 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:50

They also don't look like Windows Modern Tiles, so while it's only "Exe Shortcuts" it looks like crap!

And? x86 apps can't and most likely never will have a proper Metro tile.

What is your excuse about the All Apps section? I have seen readme's shortcuts to websites, and other things in there. With Windows 7, they were all neatly tucked away in folders. Some programs put it in a sub-folder labeled Additional Resources. But.....now they are always visible when I go to All Apps.

Yes... But if you're up to date on your "power user" techniques, you'd never have to venture into All Apps to begin with. Also, not all programs have their own folders. There are many that just sit out, flapping in the wind. You could argue with that, that the All Programs Menu is less organized than All Apps in Windows 8.

#379 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:53

Yes... But if you're up to date on your "power user" techniques, you'd never have to venture into All Apps to begin with.

So....Microsoft gets a free pass then? Why even offer an All Apps section if you should never have to go there?

#380 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:55

Yes... But if you're up to date on your "power user" techniques, you'd never have to venture into All Apps to begin with. Also, not all programs have their own folders. There are many that just sit out, flapping in the wind. You could argue with that, that the All Programs Menu is less organized than All Apps in Windows 8.

yes, but the ones flapping in the wind are only single shortcuts 1 per application and they are all in a straight vertical alphabetical list. Your answer just yelled "I know windows 8 might not be great in that area, but I just can't admit it., so how can I spin this to make Windows 8 sound awesome!"

#381 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,799 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:59

So....Microsoft gets a free pass then? Why even offer an All Apps section if you should never have to go there?

Again, how and why is Microsoft responsible for apps that want to barf up garbage all over the OS? I fail to see how they are at fault.

#382 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:02

Again, how and why is Microsoft responsible for apps that want to barf up garbage all over the OS? I fail to see how they are at fault.

Hmmm....let's see here....Start Menu: Not a mess of barf'ed up garbage. Start Screen: A complete mess of barf'ed up garbage. What has changed? The developers did not suddenly become crappy as soon as Windows 8 came out. The only thing that changed was....Windows!!!

So Yes, Microsoft should have changed the way the All Apps portion worked in the Start Screen. Providing collapsable and expandable folder-like items. I would not be hard to do since the installer has been coded to build those sub folders. Microsoft is at fault for not interpreting it properly.....

#383 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:03

Hmmm....let's see here....Start Menu: Not a mess of barf'ed up garbage. Start Screen: A complete mess of barf'ed up garbage.

HAHAHAHHA!!! OMG ...I actually laughed out loud and clapped all at the same time! Good Job!

#384 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,799 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:05

Hmmm....let's see here....Start Menu: Not a mess of barf'ed up garbage. Start Screen: A complete mess of barf'ed up garbage. What has changed? The developers did not suddenly become crappy as soon as Windows 8 came out. The only thing that changed was....Windows!!!

So Yes, Microsoft should have changed the way the All Apps portion worked in the Start Screen. Providing collapsable and expandable folder-like items. I would not be hard to do since the installer has been coded to build those sub folders. Microsoft is at fault for not interpreting it properly.....

So, you say you don't have the time for a folderless Start Screen, but have all the time in the world to dig through endless folders and subfolders buried in an area 1/10th the size of your screen?

#385 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:08

So, you say you don't have the time for a folderless Start Screen, but have all the time in the world to dig through endless folders and subfolders buried in an area 1/10th the size of your screen?

You basically just proved our point for us. Good Job! (Y) yes the start menu is easier to dig through because it's a vertical alphabetical list taking up ONLY 1/10th the screen! As opposed to the barfed up garbage taking up our ENTIRE screen!

#386 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:08

Good God.

I'm outta here.......Posted Image

#387 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:09

Yes, because I am not presented with a list of thousands of icons, and hard to read titles (when you have dozens and dozens of icons, it is sometimes hard to see the title of the section).

Despite what you might think, folders are more organized. Why do you think I have my health (and other) insurance in folders? I do not need to look for it, I find the label, and go from there.

#388 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:13

Yes, because I am not presented with a list of thousands of icons, and hard to read titles (when you have dozens and dozens of icons, it is sometimes hard to see the title of the section).

Despite what you might think, folders are more organized. Why do you think I have my health (and other) insurance in folders? I do not need to look for it, I find the label, and go from there.

OMG, I have a great idea. Someone should take a picture of their filing cabnlet before, and then take every piece of paper out of every folder and stick it on the wall and take another picture LOL.

#389 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,390 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:21

Despite what you might think, folders are more organized.

Microsoft, or more specifically

our experience with folders broadly and in the Start menu tells us that folders are a way of burying things, not organizing them.

Sinfosky's also explicitly advertised this as a differentiating feature from iOS in one of their keynotes. Somehow I don't see them changing their opinion on this.

#390 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,799 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:41

Folders are great for organizing files. Not so much for an app launcher. You want to enable the user to find their new app, not have them dig forever for it.

And yes, before you take whatever digs you want to next, I have spent countless times helping people find what they were looking for, because it was buried. That's not something you want.

The Start Screen is designed to only display the EXE files for an app, Help files and other junk will remain in the All Apps menu. If you have an app developed with poor coding practices, then yes, you may have one or two extra tiles, that take all but a few seconds to remove.