Photo

Mark Zuckerberg nation's second-biggest giver

california facebook the chronicle of philanthropy silicon valley community foundation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 00:59

(CNN) -- Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg and his wife were the second-biggest charitable donors in the United States last year, appearing behind only billionaire Warren Buffett on a list of the nation's most generous philanthropists.

Zuckerberg, along with wife Priscilla Chan, gave roughly half a billion dollars ($498.8 million) to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, according to The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

The group released its annual Philanthropy 50 over the weekend.

The Facebook founder and CEO was one of three tech-industry titans in the list's top five.

The Silicon Valley Community Foundation issues grants for a host of causes in the San Francisco area. In 2012, its charitable causes ranged from programs to teach immigrants English, to groups providing food and shelter to the needy, to funds for victims of the California wildfires.

Zuckerberg donated 18 million Facebook shares to the foundation in December.

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen was fourth, with $309 million in contributions, mostly to the Allen Institute for Brain Science.

And Google co-founder Sergey Brin and wife Anne Wojcicki, co-founder of genetic-testing company 23andME, were fifth, putting $223 million into their Brin Wojcicki Foundation.

full story

#2 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,307 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:50

... and not a single mention of Bill Gates?

#3 Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• 799 posts
  • Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:53

RESPECT for these people. :D

#4 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,066 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:55

Him and a couple other were left off due to how they make this list.
http://philanthropy....esOther/137171/

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:57

It's nice to see people who have been fortunate in life giving back.

#6 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,402 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:03

I looked on said charities site and it doesn't seem like a charity to me. It offers scholarships, links to the red cross about africa, etc.
So is this a scam charity or what?

#7 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:46

Probably because Bill makes his donations largely through the B&MG Foundation, which then donates the money to other services. Bill doesn't directly donate that much money (as much as Mark Z. or Warren Buffett, anyway).

#8 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,847 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:10

Probably because Bill makes his donations largely through the B&MG Foundation, which then donates the money to other services. Bill doesn't directly donate that much money (as much as Mark Z. or Warren Buffett, anyway).

But he owns that foundation, and to date he's given almost 37 billion to charity with another 65-70 billion going to it when he passes away.

Not to mention he actually goes out there and tries to help out, makes sure his money gets spent in worthwhile causes. Other people just throw money at a charity and do nothing else. Hence he deserves to get mentioned far more than a guy who just gave 18 million crappy shares of his own company to a charity.

#9 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:17

The list is of commitments made in 2012, does not count previous pledges. Max Norris provides a link. Read it!!!

#10 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,847 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:20

The list is of commitments made in 2012, does not count previous pledges. Max Norris provides a link. Read it!!!

Read my entire post. I said Gates deserves a MENTION, not a ranking.

Very few of these billionaires who donate money actually go out there and try to make a difference. To most it's just a simple check, sent to a charity. Bill Gates DOES go out there.

#11 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:22

But he owns that foundation, and to date he's given almost 37 billion to charity with another 65-70 billion going to it when he passes away.

Not to mention he actually goes out there and tries to help out, makes sure his money gets spent in worthwhile causes. Other people just throw money at a charity and do nothing else. Hence he deserves to get mentioned far more than a guy who just gave 18 million crappy shares of his own company to a charity.

Oh of course, most definitely I agree with you. The only problem there is that if we start including organisations, foundations and companies, these lists would probably be forever inundated with the American Red Cross and similar organisations.

Although to be fair this sounds like one big circle jerk anyway. Of course some of the wealthiest people in America make this list - their charitable tax breaks are going to be bigger then others! (Yes I realise this doesn't apply to everyone on this list, I was partially joking :p)

#12 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,847 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:26

Oh of course, most definitely I agree with you. The only problem there is that if we start including organisations, foundations and companies, these lists would probably be forever inundated with the American Red Cross and similar organisations.

Ah but that's not how they add to that list ;)

The list only counts new donations or pledges, not donations made on past pledges. Bill Gates did donate something like $350 million but that was to a past pledge hence it doesn't count. However if he made a new pledge, he would have made the list. Rather stupid.

#13 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:29

Zuckerberg looks more like the receiver type.

#14 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:32

Read my entire post. I said Gates deserves a MENTION, not a ranking.

Very few of these billionaires who donate money actually go out there and try to make a difference. To most it's just a simple check, sent to a charity. Bill Gates DOES go out there.

I don't know why you think he would deserve a mention since this is for a list of 2012 pledges. I mean, if they made a list of worlds greatest living philanthropists, Bill, his wife and Warren would be at the top of that list.

#15 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,847 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:35

I don't know why you think he would deserve a mention since this is for a list of 2012 pledges. I mean, if they made a list of worlds greatest living philanthropists, Bill, his wife and Warren would be at the top of that list.

See the problem is most people aren't going to read the philanthropy report on why Bill Gates didn't make the list. They're going to read the CNN news report and think oh Gates isn't that big a donor.

Hence...why I said he deserves a mention not a ranking, a mention in the news article (not the report). Sorry should have made that a bit clearer.